Yet another introduction

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I came across your site by searching for terms like "old" and "senior" in Bungie.net's group finder. Who knew it would match up so well? :)

The reason for looking around is that I like the idea of Co-Op (in the upcoming FPS Destiny on PS4 for me), but I lack a regular group who'll play on PS4. And - since my reactiontime seems to deteriorate by the day - I was looking around for more like-minded and friendly fellow gamers who understand the curse of older age and won't shout "noobzors, OMGGTFO" or whatever at me when I'm trying my best - or, at least not shout immediately :P

About me
While of course a young god at heart, I will still be hitting the big 4-0 next month. :shock:
I live in the Netherlands where I work as a software developer.
No kids yet, but plans are slowly forming to change that (current biggest "against" being that my girl doesn't have a permanent job yet, stupid economy)

I've been gaming since the late 70's starting on the Commodore Vic20 and one of those paddle Pong things (was that Atari? can't remember).
Over the years I worked my way up through C64/128, lots of PC's, various handhelds and consoles like GameBoy, Wii, PS Vita, Xbox & 360, PS3 & 4.
No more PC since my last one broke and I think it's getting to expensive to keep up with the hardware upgrades.
My first true online experience came with Tribes 2 (not counting the fiddling around in 1), which I've played a few years on the Euro Ladder for =NL= Dutch Gladiators and @-Eclipse.
I later found MMO RPG's to be more my thing, especially in true RP clans. Like The Templar Order (WoW@Argent Dawn, Age Of Conan@Hyrkania), or the Shattersteel Detachment (GW2@Piken Square)

(P.S. I mention some of my past clans, hoping I might find some old - pun unintended - acquaintances again)

My favourite games of all time - for various reasons - are:
Elite (I was amazed at the cool "3D" polygons the C64 could do)
Carmageddon (hey, I liked to run over people when I was younger, sue me)
GTA series (including 1 & 2, same reason as above, plus you could steal cars!)
Tribes 1/2 (first online experience and multiplayer with vehicles!)
WoW (although not the first in its genre the MMORPG concept was new to me)
There are of course tons of other good games out there, some forgotten even, but I won't bore you too much (if you made it to here, you're almost done, keep reading!)

As stated on opening, I'm hoping to find some friendly players for Destiny on the PS4, I love gaming, but can't be bothered trying to be the best of the best anymore (emphasis has always been on trying by the way). I play more for fun than for true challenge, since life/work is challenging enough, games are pure recreational for me these days.
Not too sure about the voicechat requirement though, my english pronounciation isn't that good and I always have a hard time understanding others when game audio is mixed in, but I guess I can't dodge that since I doubt there will be text chat in the game.

So to summarize: Hi, noob looking for group! :waving:

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi @NVranya! Welcome to SNR. :)

Nice write up! Sounds like you'll fit in well here. I'm sure others will be along shortly with some questions - @Martok is one for nostalgia (he's old, and likes the 'good old days').

I'm usually found dead on Battlefield 4, but I'm very interested in playing Destiny. I imagine I will be dead a lot on that too.

Don't worry about your pronunciation on chat either. We have a few people here who speak English (their second language) better than our natives. *cough* @ColSonders *cough* :P

Catch you online soon.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome @NVranya ,

You should have no trouble finding people online in this group, they're a nice friendly bunch. The majority of SNR members seem split between BF4 and Warframe.

:oldgamer:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi mate. Glad you decide to stop buy. I loved the Age Of Conan game but never spent the sufficient amount of time required. I'll bung you a Friends Request later.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome @NVranya :waving:

Great intro! Lots of details on your past gaming, I do like to reminisce. I started gaming on the ZX81 and Intellivision and I've never looked back. Not really done the PC gaming thing, I went down the console route and stuck with Sony all the way.

So, do tell us about your PSN ID - how did you come up with that name?

As @IamNumber6 says, the Seniors are pretty much split between BF4 and Warframe at the moment (with a few venturing on both). That is likely to change with Destiny, which many of us are looking forward too - the Beta starts tomorrow. :woot: So if you're looking for like-minded people to play with then hopefully this is the place for you. :)

Regarding membership (see About Us and Benefits for more details if you've not read them already), you can see how you get on with us and then decide on which you prefer (unless you've already made a decision?). We do ask for comms for full members - it really does make a difference using these, especially when playing co-op games. It's so much easier to say what you are doing or warn a player about an impending enemy attack by speaking it than trying to use text chat (if there is any). It also means that we can chat and have a laugh too as well as get to know each other - as you'll have seen on our front page, we've made friendships this way and have an annual meet. Don't worry about your accent - we've found that our other Dutch resident, @Spruijt has much better pronunciation than several of our native speakers so I'm sure the same will be the case with you!

Anyway, chuck out some Friends requests and I hope to see you online soon. :)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome! I'm into BF4 at the moment, but have Destiny on pre-order. I'm not really a big RPG fan, although I am a bit addicted to Warhammer Quest on my iPad at the moment. I used to really like Oblivion as well but am too lazy nowadays to play time consuming games that require you to upgrade weapons and stuff.
Do you still have your PS3? Some peeps still have theirs (myself included), I still have a shed load of games to get through!).
Hope to see you about!

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks all!
(Random unquoted answers next)

Yeah, I understand about the comms, that's why I mentioned it, no worries.
I think I'd like the full senior membership, although, if I don't like Destiny (doubtful, but...) I'll probably won't see much of you guys/girls online :)

Real live meetings are nice, had a few in London with the Knights Templar "back in the day". Some people are so different than expected :D

My original nick was R'Vannith, based on the Skyclad song, which in old Celtish or something meant gladiator. This was in my Dutch Gladiators Tribes2 days.
For one of my RP characters I needed a female name, so I played around with the letters of R'Vannith and got to NVranya (not a true anagram, that puzzle was too hard). Since I played that character most of the time, it also became my default nick on forums and hence overtook my old one for most online game thingies.

Of course I have my PS3 still! Free content every month (thanks PS+) and nearly no good content yet for PS4. ;)

Edit: I send out some PSN requests

Last edited:

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, the Dutch are taking over. Welcome, make yourself at home.

Personally I haven't been online much lately, but I hope to see you online sometime soon.

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hello and welcome!

I will be playing Destiny Beta when it goes live and will be using BF4 to keep me going until official release later this year!

FR sent!

Bloodfairy

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Greetings Salted Herring :)
Welcome to our lil spot of paradise, I think you would fit right in. We love gaming but don't take it too seriously it's more about having a good laugh, some friendly banter and a bit of game play thrown in for good measure.I am currently on the BF4 side as Warframe hurts my wee brain, however looking forward to playing Destiny even though its sounds all kinds of complicated. See ya there

Skarpar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi there,
Welcome and friend request on it's way, hope to join you in a fireteam while on destiny at some point, otherwise you'll generally catch me on warframe when I'm online

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Hope to game with you sometime, friends request sent :)

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Alright dude, Welcome to the bestest little corner on the Internet :)

I wouldn't worry too much about your English, We'll have you swearing and using slang before you know it! :D

Feel free to send me a friends request.

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, my PSN friendslist never grew so quickly :)

Is Warframe really that much fun? I've never played it based on some reviews where it scored mediocre and the fact that it looked like a pay2win kinda setup.
Perhaps I should give it a chance between Destiny beta & release.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, my PSN friendslist never grew so quickly :)

Is Warframe really that much fun? I've never played it based on some reviews where it scored mediocre and the fact that it looked like a pay2win kinda setup.
Perhaps I should give it a chance between Destiny beta & release.
Theres a bit of a fan club here. You definitely dont need to pay to win. Ive spent about 25 quid but Acegadgets hasn't spent a penny and has far more stuff than I do.
Warframes strength is the earning of better weapons and gear. Theres no greater gaming satisfaction than unlocking a new Warframe. I have always preferred coop to competitive, and the coop here is superb.
Just try it. It costs nothing so youve nothing to lose.;)

Bloodfairy

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Dont do it @NVranya it'll suck your soul, you'll end up looking like 'Red Skull' from Captain America

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hi NV??????????? how does one pronounce your name?
Personally I haven't been online much lately, but I hope to see you online sometime soon.
@NVranya , this is what happens when you have babies, You go from being a cool regular gamer with lots of internet friends , to "Johny suffe knor".
So dont have the kids, and enjoy your gaming with us old guys.
I'll be on Destiny over the next few days, i'll send you a friends request.

NVranya

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hehe, usually people tend to shorten it to 'Anya online. Pronounce it as you wish though.

I took the liberty of adding a sig with the SNR symbol :angel: , hope that's alright, if not, it's easily removed.