XBOne Xbox One removed 'features' to return?

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Microsoft has hinted that some of the Xbox One’s less controversial DRM features may return, including family sharing, after people have ‘calmed down’.

According to Xbox director Albert Penello the ability to trade and loan digital games on the Xbox One will make a return at some point, despite the controversy over 24 hour check-ins having precipitated the original spate of U-turns.

‘We were trying to implement the ability to trade [and] loan digital games with your friends which is something that no one else was doing,’ Penello told GameSpot.

‘I believe, in retrospect that people have calmed down and gone back and actually looked at what we said, people are starting to understand, ‘Wow, they did want actually to allow me to loan and trade’ which other digital ecosystems don’t want to do. And so, yeah, I think we need to do that.’

When Microsoft reversed its policies it also cancelled plans for a number of far less controversial features, including the ability to share your games with a small group of nominated friends and family.

‘I get a lot of mails saying ‘god, please bring back the family sharing.’ We’d love to figure out how to bring that back. I still think it was a good idea,’ says Penello.

‘Maybe it was a little too soon for some people, but I still think there were a lot of good ideas in there. And we’ll bring it back when the time is right.’
Full article here

It's not something that anyone who's followed this whole mess that Microsoft have made has doubted from the outset.

When Microsoft feel the 'time is right' they will enforce the policies they wanted to enforce initially.

To me I feel that this means once they are happy with their userbase installation and have sold sufficient machines they will bring all the policies back...probably one at a time that forces the extra money out of people the way they initially intended.

I'm actually very surprised that this has been said on the record, i'm even more surprised the media and the gaming communities haven't jumped on this, although I feel a lot of gamers that felt strongly about these features have just decided against the Xbox anyway.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not like Microsoft to do a uturn on policy!!:D

I can't say im completely shocked, as this was always the fear and the reason I personally walked away from Microsoft. fair play to them coming out and declaring it now. They had to really, so everyones got ample time to make an informed decision and switch to a ps4. Bit naughty that they do it now, knowing there's no way you'll get a ps4 until 2014 now. They us gamers are an impulsive and impatient breed. There really isn't a consumer base like us

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not like Microsoft to do a uturn on policy!!:D

I can't say im completely shocked, as this was always the fear and the reason I personally walked away from Microsoft. fair play to them coming out and declaring it now. They had to really, so everyones got ample time to make an informed decision and switch to a ps4. Bit naughty that they do it now, knowing there's no way you'll get a ps4 until 2014 now. They us gamers are an impulsive and impatient breed. There really isn't a consumer base like us

You called this back when they started reversing all of their policies anyway @Slaine

I think they've been quite underhanded in the way they've stated they'll put this stuff back in, it's not like it's come from an official announcement by Microsoft in response to the demand for the family sharing plan to be returned, it's almost like it was an off the record conversation and probably why it's currently not making big news.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Their direction of travel is obvious, little has really changed and now they realise that consumer resistance needs softening up before they get their original plan implemented in the next next gen, the best way to do this is to drip feed these controversial features into the xbox one so we can get used to them.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
the best way to do this is to drip feed these controversial features into the xbox one so we can get used to them.
Yup, back to what they've been doing over the last 7 years or so.