XBOne Xbox One is 'great for small businesses'

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Microsoft says Kinect and Skype make console a perfect office tool

Microsoft is trying to tap into a new market with Xbox One - small businesses.

In a post on the Microsoft Small Business Support website, Xbox MVP Marques Lyons claims that "what is being positioned as an excellent entertainment device can be just as enticing for you and your small business".

The argument put forward is that for only $499, the Xbox One offers features that "could help it rival even the most modest of video conferencing and networking platforms".

Lyons claims that since the inclusion of Kinect and Skype allows people to not only chat to each other but also supports multi-person chatting, with the wide-angle lens of Kinect "you have the means for collaborative meetings and presentations".

"The Xbox One with Kinect, as a Skype provider, is just as capable as a PC with an attached/included microphone and webcam," Lyons goes on. "The difference here is that Xbox One and Kinect gives you the open space to move, gesture, show examples, and see everyone more clearly."

The dedicated SkyDrive app currently available on Xbox 360 and expected to be on Xbox One is another selling point for businesses, Lyons says, as it makes sharing documents and displaying them on the TV to a large group of people easier.

Combined with Internet Explorer and Office Web Apps, "pair that with a Wi-Fi keyboard and mouse and you have the means to edit documents, when necessary, even if you aren't near your PC".

Microsoft has confirmed that Xbox One will be available in 21 markets this November. The Xbox One price has been set at £425 / €499 / $499.

Source: CVG

This smacks me as desperation on M$'s part in trying to get more people to buy the XBone. Please buy it, it's great, you can watch TV on it and do videoconferencing. Oh and it does games too.

Why would any small business pay £425 for an XBone and then the yearly Gold subscription (which I assume you'd need?) when they can just install Skype on their PC for nothing and use a cheap £20 webcam instead? Companies that need better videoconferencing than this will be bigger and have the budgets to buy something far superior to Skype on an XBone.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
They seem insistent on marketting this as anything but a gaming device....and so far the things it's being marketted at (a TV remote and a video confrerence webcam) make this thing even more hugely overpriced than it is as a gaming machine.

Someone needs to grab these people and give them a shake.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hilarious!!! How out of touch are these goons?

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Way to go to make the Xbox look cool, everyone wants to be reminded of work when they sit down to play games, wonder if the boss could spy on you over kinect, hmmmmmm

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
How Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages
http://gu.com/p/3h9xd

If I was a business I'd avoid MS with 2 large barge poles, especially if I did a lot of business with US companies. "Hey buy our console for live business conferences so we can record them all!"

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I'm confused is e xbone a console or just an expensive piece of kit to do everything but game :-\ they lost me ages ago and I'm shocked at how thick the fan boys are.