XBOne Xbox One Details on Connectivity (Press Release)

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Wow it's very real. Press Release

- Mandatory kinect

-No renting, no loaning. No private sales (unless selling to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days)

- internet connection required as Console Checks in Every 24 hours

-Trade-ins are up to the publisher and only at participating retailers

-You can give a game to a friend only if they have been on your friends list for 30 days, and then it is stuck with them.

-Up to 10 family members can play your games from any console at any time
This is going to cause a massive Shit Storm.

Me and a friend of mine share games all the time currently hes got my copy of Need For Speed Most Wanted and I got Assassins Creed 3. So I really really hope sony don't do this, but i think they will.

Don't you just love it when they take away customer Right :brick:

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Idiots. Nuff said.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You beat me to it!!!:lol:

The PS4 have said theres no online requirement, but I remember seeing a Sony patent where a disc is locked to the console on its first use. So whilst theyve got no internet requirement, they'll get you like that.

Im a bit warmer towards the Xbone now, purely from my own selfish standpoint. I share games with my sons for use on their own consoles, and it looks like they're still going to allow this (for up to 10 family members). Not happy about 2nd hand games at all. I havent got a huge library of 2nd hand games (probably about 15%ish), and I trade nothing in, so you could argue its not going to have a huge impact on me personally. I'm not bothered about 24 hour connection (quote me on that when I lose my internet connection!!:oops:), as Ive only had one outage with BT in the past 10 years that lasted about 3 days.

But I wont be getting one, unless it sells for £150-£200. Not likely I know, but then even more unlikely that I will ever buy one. The main reason is I really dont think its going to sell, and I dont want to be stuck with an equivalent betamax video recorder. Im going to wait another year after release of both consoles to see how theyre faring. I hope that both the PS4 and Xbone both bomb because its their fault that they gave these malicious tools to publishers like EA to stiff us. Its all software and not hardware, so heres hoping after a long series of heavy price drops and very poor retail performance that both systems are patched to eradicate all distasteful DRM. Cant see it happening though, mainly because even if they did it would be nigh on impossible to re-educate the masses on what they done in a bid to win them back, so why bother. And besides, its quite clear who's the bitch in the Manufacturer/Publisher relationship.

Francis couldnt have put it better. Way to go big guy.:1thumbup:

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've got around 5 games that are Used as i very rarely get them I usually wait till games are under £20 before i even buy.

As i mentioned above me and a friend are always borrowing each others games and i know a few people with xboxes that never going online and renting games.

Francis is great though you should check out Angry Joe

Here's a great Article by Eurogamer

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Funny enough just reading that article. How weird is that?!?!? Are you using my Kinect to spy on me?:lol:

• Microsoft may change these policies or discontinue them at any point.
My favourite quote from the article, and one that should be remembered at all times should you buy an Xbone. Theres nothing in the small print about them helping themselves to a slice of the 2nd hand game pie in 2 or 3 years time, or abolishing game sharing altogether. What you can do about it?!?!? Youve already bought the console and a load of games, the latter of which you are going to have a hard time trading in as it was.

Console gaming is heading down a very dark path, one that I think will kill it off. They will sell consoles, both Sony and Microsoft, but not enough to make it a sustainable business venture. Gentlemen (and ladies), we could well be looking at the last generation of home consoles ever made. I would ask for a minutes silence, but the bastards have brought this on themselves.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What if Xbox live goes down, can you still play offline if your machine cant log in? If not, that would be really annoying.

This press release only makes their system sound even more convoluted, I would love to know if this was the sytem they planned all along, or has it been modified in the light of ther consumer backlash?

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This DRM issue doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I only know 1 person who has a PS3 and he hardly ever uses that, he is always on the PC. So I don't know anyone to swap games with.
I have never bought a pre-owned game and probably never will.

Only way I can see it possibly affecting me is if it restricts trading games in somehow, not that you ever get much for them when you do.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What if Xbox live goes down, can you still play offline if your machine cant log in? If not, that would be really annoying.
Nope you cant. You can play dvds & blu-rays, but no internet or no Live means no gaming, singleplayer or otherwise.

Good eh?

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
"The kinect keeps telling me to move, and I am moving but it thinks I'm my couch" :D classic.

I don't buy used games that often but I do loan a lot of my mates 360 games so that's the only thing that will effect me. Selling used games I do when there worth £3 I might start throwing them in the bin for less hassle. Sony hasn't said a word and i'm sure they will have a similar system I hope they are as open as M$ at E3 as long as they don't word everything to be misconstrued and confusing.

At the end of the day I'm a Gamer I wanna play games, if i can stream videos and music that's a bonus but not essential.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
“…the system will be the only multimedia system you will need in your home!”
“…the system will work with your television to offer a unique interface with what you watch!”
“…the system will be regionally-locked to ensure the best content is available!”
“…the platform dose much more than play games and will be your one-stop solution!”
“…the platform uses a unique interface that allows you to control the game as well as your media!”

… sound familiar? No these are not promotions from the launch of the Xbone –but are snippets from the hyperbole lavished on the disastrous launch of the ‘similarly looking’ CD-I platform, back in 1992! A little bit of history repeating!
As described by Wikipedia, “the Philips CD-i (Compact Disc Interactive) … an interactive multimedia CD player”. Belatedly launched in 1992, this system marked the collapse of the fourth generation of the consumer game sector – the consumer game sector having been overrun by ‘suits’ that tried to sell the idea of CD-I as the “big thing” for gaming and media. Sucking Sony, Magnavox, Goldstar, Panasonic, Commodore(CDTV), 3DO, and many others to follow the merry dance; the CD-I (even after a last ditch redesign) would be dumped in 1995, to much embracement and executive departures across the trade.
Found this in a comments section on a website. Microsoft and Sony (with their silence) are getting absolutely flamed here.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So you CAN loan your games to your friends? Which obviously removes the ability to play it from your system next time it checks in....which is fair enough, I would assume it's removed from your friends system once you register it back on yours.

I think this is an aftermath solution from their initial announcement and details....but fair play to them it's making things A LOT better for many people.

They still want to control/demolish the second hand market....that's fine with me, I'll stick to the one or two titles a year I know I will enjoy since I can't resell them....i'm sure that will work well for new IP's and new developers trying to make their way in the gaming world.

I'd also be suspicious about them allowing you to use any of the other features such as TV playback and optical disc movie playback without internet....how else could they enforce up to date DRM and licensing fees for movies if they're not regularly checking in with their servers?

OAPboba

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
They still want to control/demolish the second hand market....that's fine with me, I'll stick to the one or two titles a year I know I will enjoy since I can't resell them....i'm sure that will work well for new IP's and new developers trying to make their way in the gaming world.
Exactly. If they effectively kill off the 2nd hand market I will actually end up buying fewer NEW games since I wouldn't want to take a chance on anything in case I don't like it or find it's doesn't last as long as I'd hoped. That's if I get a next gen console at all, which is looking less likely by the day. Maybe I'll go back to gaming on computers - the last time I did that was on my Amiga!!

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I just despair of the whole thing, in an age where technology gets increasingly easier to use, here we are having to jump through all sorts of hoops to do a relatively simple thing, play games. There is no benefit to me from any of these changes, its all about squeezing more profits out of gaming. I shouldnt have to give MS advance notice I am loaning a game to a friend, or report in when I go to a friends house with my games or if I just want a quiet afternoon playing games I bought, in my own home. I am a law abiding gamer who has supported manufacturers of games consoles over a number of generations, why am I being treated like a naughty child by a company I have helped get where they are.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It does explain why they cancelled the roundtable discussions and one to one interviews with journos.This could end up being Microsoft last ever console.

I can actually see hacking groups aiming for the Next Box. Especially with those privacy concerns and the NSA having access to Microsoft systems

It's going to be an interesting couple of months.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seriously @farfromsane stop reading my mind. I was just going to say this.:lol: How long before the Xbone is targeted by Anonymous and Lulsec and all them other losers? And what if they had a Sony scenario where Live was out for a month like the PSN was?!?!?

Just catching up on all the M$ hate around the net. God people are angry and pissed at them. Im still going to watch their E3 coverage, but 1st day at work I probably wont be watching all of it. Not particularly bothered now, but I am curious at this "stupendous" 360 announcement. Theres supposed to be a treat for all 360 owners that will blow us away, and I must confess to being a tad curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seriously @farfromsane stop reading my mind. I was just going to say this.:lol: How long before the Xbone is targeted by Anonymous and Lulsec and all them other losers? And what if they had a Sony scenario where Live was out for a month like the PSN was?!?!?

Just catching up on all the M$ hate around the net. God people are angry and pissed at them. Im still going to watch their E3 coverage, but 1st day at work I probably wont be watching all of it. Not particularly bothered now, but I am curious at this "stupendous" 360 announcement. Theres supposed to be a treat for all 360 owners that will blow us away, and I must confess to being a tad curious.
The NSA told me what was on your mind :rofl:

If that happens Microsoft are going to be screwed, when the PSN went down at least we could actually play our games.

It's only going to get worse. I was reading Neogaf last night when it all came out. I wasn't going to watch the Microsoft Conference but now i will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think that when this storm blows over, gamers will still buy the new Xbox's when they come out as they will be enticed by shiney new free to play games. I think the future of gaming will be free to play games with lots of micro purchases . So all this "we are basically renting the game" stuff is pretty much irrellevent. I predict in 3 years time the norm will be that you download a game directly from Microsoft / Sony / EA/ Ubisoft / Amazon/ steam etc, and play a basic version for free, When you get hooked, you pay the monies for the upgrades and the DLC. The big losers will be the games retailers who will become a thing of the past.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think that when this storm blows over, gamers will still buy the new Xbox's when they come out as they will be enticed by shiney new free to play games. I think the future of gaming will be free to play games with lots of micro purchases . So all this "we are basically renting the game" stuff is pretty much irrellevent. I predict in 3 years time the norm will be that you download a game directly from Microsoft / Sony / EA/ Ubisoft / Amazon/ steam etc, and play a basic version for free, When you get hooked, you pay the monies for the upgrades and the DLC. The big losers will be the games retailers who will become a thing of the past.

I think this would make me give up gaming

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
TBH I think Ace could be right here, there's a good few PC games (some of which are already announced for PS4) are already using the Free To Play model and honestly every is a winner, though it takes some getting used to....when I get a game for free i'm somehow less inclined to bother playing through it and getting every little bit of game play out of it that I can.

Once you get your head around it though it makes far more sense for the consumer, you get to play the game, for nothing....if you like it you can choose to either keep playing for free or choose to pay to get shortcuts.

So far i've struggled a bit to get my head around this payment model, but have enjoyed Planetside 2 and Warframe, both of which seem like beta trials of triple A games.