XBOne Xbox One delayed until 2014 in certain European countries

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
CVG are reporting that Microsoft are delaying the release of Xbox One in eight European countries.

The Xbox One launch has been pushed back to 2014 in eight countries, Microsoft has confirmed today.

Gamers in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland will have to wait until an unspecified date in the New Year to get their hands on the console.

The platform holder has reaffirmed the Xbox One's November, 2013 launch in Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand.

Here's the official statement:

"At E3, we announced that Xbox One would be available in 21 markets around the world at launch. This was an aggressive goal and the team has been working very hard to deliver Xbox One to as many markets as possible.

Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available. To do that, and in order to meet demand, we have adjusted the number of markets that will receive Xbox One in November to 13 markets, including Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand, in November.

"We remain committed to launching Xbox One in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, as soon as possible in 2014.

"While we wish we could launch Xbox One simultaneously in these markets, there are many factors that determine the timing of specific market launches. This includes work to localize the Xbox One dash, incorporate additional voice and languages, and build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country.

"We understand this will be disappointing news for our fans in the impacted countries, and we are doing everything we can to bring Xbox One to you as soon as possible next year."
If PS4 is confirmed for release in those countries this year, that's another massive error up for Microsoft.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Haven't Sony basically said they're releasing worldwide by the end of the year?

This is a big mistake by MS though and when I heard the rumour earlier today I said that it's feasible they were too ambitious.

Good to know they are being clear cut about it that it's not just a translation issue but that this also is for demand reasons....although if Xbox180 is looking to sell well and PS4 has something like four times as many pre-orders...how much stock does Sony have? Are we going to see serious shortages of PS4's but Xbox180's on shelves? That could actually play well in MS's favour!

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not on 100% but I'm sure I read somewhere a few weeks ago that MS was still trying to get Kinect sorted legally in countries with privacy restrictions

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sony said they are prioritising US and Europe but Far East to be next year. I was concerned this kind of announcement was going to come from Sony but hadn't considered Microsoft making it.

It seems Microsoft really aren't as ready as we may have expected. Pre e3 there were rumours that Microsoft software was about 6 months behind. I believe Killer Instinct is no longer a launch title.

Still, a free game for delayed launch could be good.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Still, a free game for delayed launch could be good.
On either consoles that would be nice here choose a digital game as we launched a little late ;)

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
10% of all 360s sold were in good old Blighty. After Sony saying they were going to blitz Europe, why support countries like Sweden who only bought 250k consoles as opposed to the UKd 8 million.

Jenxy_

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It was a shame to see yet more negativity for the Xbox One, it just seems to be one thing after another for them, actually even any positives not that this is, seem to be turning into a negative now.

I do think that perhaps Sony will make an announcement shortly about delays in some countries also, guess we shall find out soon enough...

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
It was a shame to see yet more negativity for the Xbox One, it just seems to be one thing after another for them, actually even any positives not that this is, seem to be turning into a negative now.

I do think that perhaps Sony will make an announcement shortly about delays in some countries also, guess we shall find out soon enough...
They already said they won't be giving endless amounts of ps4's to its suppliers and that's why you had to pre order before 6 august to get your pre order. If anything it will be sold out at launch and will be drip fed to suppliers as and when available.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with @Jkrohn1 here and I reckon Sony were a lot further along with PS4 development when they announced it officially, catching Microsoft somewhat off guard who I think thought they had another six months and were forced to rush things. Some of their policies obviously hadn't had enough discussion to identify potential issues and I think the result of them being rushed is that they were not unto the swing of full production when they announced the release date.

Sony have played a blinder overall here by being further into production, allowing them to launch in territories that usually get delayed.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if come launch we find out that Sony's production process is somewhat more mature and we see a less stable system from Microsoft given that it looks like they've rushed thing.

All told it's looking to be a disastrous launch for Microsofts new console...one that I hope they are able to recover from so that Sony is again constantly pushed to strive for better, or if Microsoft do bow out after 3 rounds on consoles I hope someone else picks up the gloves, maybe Apple? Perhaps Valve?

Jenxy_

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well I don't think there's any doubt that round one goes to Sony, like you Col I really hope that MS are able to recover, not that I would pick one up but from a selfish perspective competition is good for us consumers, drives prices down and increases quality :)