XBOne XBox loyalists want a return of DRM?!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oh please, PLEASE bring back Xbox One's hated DRM - say Xbox loyalists
How do you spell 'masochist'?

Xbox One loyalists want Microsoft to reinstate the new console's tough copy protection controls and mandatory online connection requirement that were axed following a backlash.

Thousands of gamers have put their names to a petition piling pressure on Redmond to give them the Xbox One console it promised at gaming conference E3 in June.

And that promised console packed a strict new system of DRM (digital rights management) that clamped down on players trading games, and required the machine to be permanently online to enforce those copy-protection policies. The DRM tech accompanied fresh rules on buying and selling used games, which would have wrecked the secondhand-games market.

The changes sparked a massive outcry on the web among Xbox fans, and less than a week after announcing the details Microsoft made a major U-turn. It said the Xbox One would not need to check in to Redmond every 24 hours to enforce the DRM policies, and it lifted limits on the rental, sale and trading of disc-based games.

But now Xbox One fan David Fontenot has organised a pro-DRM petition calling on Microsoft to reverse that U-turn. On petition site Change.org, he wrote:
This was to be the future of entertainment. A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses. Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty.

We want this back. It can't be all or nothing; there must be a compromise.
At the time of writing the petition had just over 8,000 signatures although some were clearly not genuine. There was trolling and flaming aplenty with claims and counter claims of fanboidom and accusations of others being Sony stooges and dupes.

Xbox chief Don Mattrick, who left Microsoft in the wake of the Xbox One controversy to run web plaything biz Zynga, said Redmond's U-turn last month gave Xboxers the best of both worlds.

“While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for
both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content,” Mattrick argued at the time.

Source: The Register

Boy, there really are some dumb people out there! :crazy:

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Poor misguided fools, some people need saving from themselves. Cant they see that this was nothing like steam, you have alternative ways of buying games for PC which means steam has some form of competition, Xbox live does not have any competition to keep prices sensible.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Tempting to add my name to the petition in an attempt to make Microsoft make themselves look even more useless.

Actually I understand the petition, there were distinct advantages to the model they had planned in that it was possible to sell on your downloaded games, something that no-one else does.

The other big thing that people have complained about since the U-turn is the loss of a family plan, but honestly I think people were confused at how this would work, this doesn't allow two or more users to play that one game at the same time, it's a check out system where one member of the family checks the game out and that is then unavailable for other family member to use, but once checked back in anyone else in the family can use it.

And the reason this petition is in place is because there's simply nothing standing in the way of these features being offered still for games purchased online alongside the current model for disc based games.

The only reason Microsoft aren't offering this service for games purchased online is because they spat the dummy when their customers told them they wouldn't buy into the harsh DRM by not pre-ordering their system.

I believe the compromise they are referring to is that Microsoft allow the features they offered for digitally purchased games. The dig at Sony is poor form though, and to say that the consumers were uncertain is utter tosh, the consumers were absolutely informed and knew exactly what they wanted, hence the piss poor pre-orders and the renaming of the Xbox1 to the Xbox180.

Would be funny if Microsoft did another u-turn though....would we all then call their new system the xbox 360? Do Microsoft understand how ****ing confusing their naming system is?

And on a final note....I've been doing this whole family plan stuff for years with @Bertiepops and only one of us will buy a digital copy of a game, but we both play it. We also lend each other physical games occasionally. So when Microsoft do finally cave and the Xbox fanboys try to make out that Microsoft are amazing, we can all point out that Sony have had this very same model in place for 6 years or so, removing the harsh DRM very early in the PS3's life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
From what I understand, what people want from this DRM fiasco is the ability to share with 10 "family" members. Microsoft went on record to admit they wouldnt be looking for birth certificates to verify you're related, so the vast majority of the people were going to share with 10 friends family as they saw fit.

Of course this policy was never fully elaborated over, as I dare say there wouldve been some catch. Why would they let you share your entire games library with up to 10 people, some of whom could be just mates, when they only only you to share a game with a friend whose been on your Friends List for 30+ days, and even then you forfeit all rights to the game? At the risk of being a Prophet Of Doom, I reckon there wouldve been some horrible catch, say you couldnt earn achievements (just like Battlefield 1943) on any of the games or something worse.

Personally Im done with Microsoft. Either with or without the DRM.