The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Wireless adapter/antenna help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jkrohn1, 1 Feb 2013.

1. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    In my new pc I have a TL-WN881ND capable of doing b/g/n and has two antennas on the back. Well two days ago the signal went from almost full to 2 bars and i'm now getting connection and Dns errors. I'm looking at the TL-ANT2403N antenna although this has 3 male connectors it should still work with 2 shouldn't it?

There has been no changes in my house to make the signal drop so it must be my neighbours house.

2. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    can you change your wireless channel? It could be that the one you are on now is picking up interference

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    It's not your neighbours fault....you're the one using a mobile/temporary solution for a stationary system...silly sod.

IF it's an issue with signal interference then a simple switching of channels on your router will fix it.

However you're talking about piddly little 3db 2.4ghz systems with wi-fi.

I play with a full range 2.4ghz channel hopping Spektrum radio in my house all the time and it doesn't interfere with my wifi....it DOES set car alarms off from the other side of the road as I walk past, and that's running at 200db. So yeah, unlikely to be anything your neighbour is doing.

You are using an antenna designed for a radius of coverage...the idea behind these is like a router you would connect other things to it...you could always try something more directional since you're not moving your system or your router around....If you have a stock tail type of antenna you can stick on it lying around use that with a bit of cardboard covered in tinfoil curved and slotted onto the antenna, that will give you directionality much like a SkyTV satellite dish.

Edit* of course the best solution is to use a wired connection...home plugs perhaps?

4. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Changed the channel last night as I though it might have been that. It's strange to change from 4 bars to 2 bars in a day. Might try the foil idea on Saturday, anyway your saying the desktop antenna is pointless? Maybe a couple of 5m extension cables or as you said a plug thing.

Can the plug thing run through a 4way gang? If not, no joy, my router is next to my TV and I only have 2 plug sockets both have 4 way gangs connected and all but 1 plug are used.

5. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    Some claim you can gain range by slipping your antenna into the base of a Pringles tube then aiming the open end at your router. It produces a narrow beam so your aim will have to be pretty good but for a static installation it may do the trick, plus you get to eat the Pringles!

6. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    It does seem very strange that you've had such a drastic drop in a day.

Have you tried checking for updated drivers for your wifi card? I recall my first experience of wifi many years ago using PCI cards in desktop computers was very hitty missy, not like laptops these days. Possibly just a bad driver...worth a shot at least.

Anything that can give you directionality should help on the wifi signal front.

The homeplugs will run through your setup, they reckon it's always best to put them into their own socket rather than run off an extension but the practicalities of this aren't always possible, i've got a homeplug next to my router into it's own plug socket but my PS3 upstairs that's using it runs off an extension and I stream HD media over it no problem at all.

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Quick update got two antennas connected 1 and my connection went to constantly good, connected the second a week later and I now have an excellent connect and i'm getting full speed and constant connection. My ping is now 10-12ms and before it was around 30+.best £8 I have spent :)

8. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Good to hear you got it sorted. :thumbup:

9. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Yeah and considering the power plugs cost around £60 it was a bargain ;)

10. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Well...you can get a pair of homeplugs for a lot less than £60, but certainly not as cheap as £8!!

11. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Yeah lol not sure where I pulled that price from, just happy it is now perfect :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice