The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Wired networking your Playstation 3 with Devolo HomePlugs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martok, 5 Aug 2012.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Is your Playstation 3 wirelessly connected to your router? If so, do you sometimes have connection issues and suffer from disconnects? Is a wired connection to your Playstation 3 impractical? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the solution for you may be Devolo HomePlugs.

product-picture-dlan-highspeed-ethernet-2-uk-sk-front-right-xl.jpg

Back in 2008 when I first purchased my Playstation 3, I connected it wirelessly to my router for online gaming. All seemed to be working fine, or so I thought. I found that I then had problems with some games, seeing people running on the spot at times and I was getting disconnected sometimes several times in an evening. I checked all of the other possible causes and drew a blank, so I finally connected my Playstation 3 with a network cable and the problems were gone. My internet speed for the PS3 dramatically improved too. However, I couldn't live with a network cable trailing along the floor from one room to the next where the router was situated and I wasn't willing to tack the network cable around the walls and floor. I had to find another solution. I heard about others having similar issues and a solution mentioned was a set of Devolo HomePlugs. I discovered that these used your property's electrical wiring as the network cable, enabling you to connect a device in one room to your router in another room. This sounded exactly like what I needed so I invested in a pair of Devolo HomePlugs.

image-picture-dlan-highspeed-ethernet-2-uk-front-xl.jpg

The Devolo HomePlugs were very easy to set up. Just plug one into a spare power socket near to the router (it's best not to use extension leads) and connect the HomePlug to the router with the supplied network cable. Then plug the other Homeplug in another spare power socket near to the PS3 (or other device) and again connect the two with the supplied network cable. That's all there is to it, it just simply works. You may ask if Devolo HomePlugs will work if they are on different electrical circuits in the house e.g. one being downstairs and the other upstairs in a bedroom? The answer is yes, as long as there is only one electricity meter for the property they generally can be plugged into any of the sockets. Since purchasing mine 4 years ago there have been many improvements with the Devolo HomePlugs. Mine run at 85mbps which is more than enough for my needs. However you can now get ones which run at up to 500mbps. Devolo HomePlugs now come with "Easy Pairing" - they are shipped from the factory with a default password which you can change to increase security in the network using this feature which makes doing so as easy as pressing the buttons on the devices. You can also get Devolo HomePlugs which allow up to 3 devices plugged into the same HomePlug and ones which have built-in wireless capability to extend the range across your property.

packshot-dlan-highspeed-ethernet-2-uk-sk-front-xl.jpg

The Devolo dLAN Highspeed II (HomePlug) Starter Kit is an updated version of the ones I bought. At the time of writing these are only £18.99, a bargain in my opinion. So if you're connecting your PS3 wirelessly then it's worth considering these as a solution that will likely improve your internet connection speed and resolve many disconnection issues that you may have had.

2. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    An absolute bargain at that price.

It’s also worth mentioning that most of these home plug devices are interoperable.

I bought a pair many moons ago as a solution for getting my networked media player in the bedroom a capable network connection for HD streaming, my wifi didn’t really cut it for high bitrate streaming and it would sometimes lag out and stop, mid movie!

I stumbled upon these and bought myself a pair of 200mbps plugs, which worked like a charm, though a couple of years down the line I did have one of the pair fail on me. When pricing up a replacement I found I could buy a pair of cheaper plugs than I could buy the replacement for the type I owned so I ordered a new pair.

Upon arrival and testing they actually worked perfectly well with my existing one, so I now have a spare, or another optional plug if I wanted to run another device.

3. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    They are indeed interoperable with other HomePlug devices. Devolo HomePlugs conform to the HomePlug standards, HomePlug 1.0 and HomePlug AV. Other devices that conform to the same standard will also work with them.

I’m now considering an additional pair with the built-in wifi capability so that I can use the PC/iPad when gaming on the PS3 in the back bedroom where the current wifi coverage is poor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice