The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Will PS4 block 2nd hand games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mick, 27 Mar 2013.

1. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Im sure most, if not all of you have heard about the patent that Sony have filed, although that doesnt mean they will use it. Well I came across this earlier, bit of light reading if your bored :D

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2013/0007892.html

An abstract from it...
    A game playing system includes a use permission tag provided for use in a game disk for a user of a game, a disk drive, and a reproduction device for reproducing the game. The disk drive reads out a disk ID from the game disk. When the game is to be played, the reproduction device conveys the disk ID and a player ID to the use permission tag. The use permission tag stores the terms of use of the game and determines whether a combination of the disk ID and the player ID conveyed from the reproduction device fulfills the terms of use or not.

Whats your feelings towards having a restricted 2nd hand games market (If it was to ever happen) Would it be enough for you to change what platform you play on?

2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Definitely stop me buying said platform. I share my games with my kids, so not having the ability to play on my own console would put me off straight away. Also, I have bought many a game second hand. Theyre just too expensive these days, and I think we can comfortably predict the PS4/Durango games will cost £50+ on release. Sony tried to claim that this patent related to something else. They still havent officially announced that their PS4 wont block used games, instead quoting a wishy-washy answer of that "customers expectations are that they reserve the right to resell the physical disk".

Make no mistake, if Microsoft come out and say used games are blocked then analysts predict Sony will too. Used game sales are not good for the developers, publishers or Sony/Microsoft, who dont get to take a cut of the 2nd hand pie.

I think that therell be such a furore about it that it will affect sales of the PS4/Durango. Christ youve only got to look at our own forums to see that people are toying with the idea of going back to PC gaming full-time.

I like console gaming. I enjoy the stability it offers, and I like the platforms they use. But if I can play the same games for a fraction of the price better than whats on a console, then theres really not going to be too much to keep me console gaming in the future.

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Didn't Sony confirm they had no such plans to block second hand games in the aftershow interviews of the PS4 release? They stated that the patent is completely unrelated.

4. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    Sony did confirm they wouldnt block second hand games, although the statement did sound like there may be ways in which games could be blocked without contradicting that statement. Lets assume for now that they wont be blocking them.

5. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    Sony said they won't

Microsoft on the other hand most likely will, they want all your money.

6. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Probably something like having to buy a pass to unlock it for a different console. Some games already require you to buy a online pass if its been used online before, and he way things are going there wont be much point in having a console without a 'net connection.

As for microsoft I dont care what they release I wont go over to the dark side.

7. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    To be honest I can't see Microsoft doing this either. Feelers were put out and the resounding response was very negative and very "make or break" from a vast majority of responses. Given that Sony have **** all clue about marketting and that Microsoft are somewhat experts on this then I really can't see that happening.

I'm sure both companies aren't dumb enough to do that, but they will happily take their cut of the pie when the greedy publishers such as EA do it with online passes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice