The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Other Wii U

Discussion in 'Hardware & Other Games' started by HaloJ, 19 Nov 2012.

1. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I'm not sure how many folks intended on getting a Wii U but here's something that could put you off.

Accounts created on a Wii U are locked to that unit only. All game saves and purchases made under that account are lost if that unit is stolen or breaks. Wii U accounts are none transferable between units and there is a physical limit of 12 per unit.

Source : Games Industry International

2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Yeah I read this. Talk about financial suicide!!! Muppets

3. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Well to top that off they've also released a 5Gb mandatory update which installs so slowly that people have been turning their units off and bricking them before the install has finished. Add to that those that bought the lowly 8Gb version are forced to instantly lose over half their storage space. Nintendo have really come up with a half-arsed product here.

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Half?!?!? I heard that the system install doesnt leave you enough space to download Nintendo Land at 3.2GB, as you'll only have 3GB.

Still, I bet they sell bucket loads. I was the prophet of doom last time with the Wii, and the DS come to that, and they turn out to be the best selling consoles. What do I know :)

5. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I think that just means you're not turning Japanese.

6. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    As opposed to thinking he is turning Japanese.

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Just read and saw the comparisons for Blops 2 on the Wii-U vs PS3 & Xbox 360. The Wii-U is clearly the loser here, and this isnt good news for something that is supposedly a "next generation" console.

I hope this doesnt hurt Nintendo too much. I hear Sonys credit rating has been downgraded to "junk" too. I love my 360, but it is nice that the competition out there keeps Microsoft on its toes, otherwise theyd get lazy. Anyways, I'd hate for anything to happen to Nintendo, and I do hope the Wii-U sells well. Just not as much as the proper consoles. :lol:

8. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    I doubt any of these problems will cause any real problems to nintendo except to maybe put off a few hardcore gamers. I feel that the success of the Wii has largely been down to people going to someones house and playing wii bowling and deciding to get their own machine. I also think that large numbers of the wii are sitting gathering dust under tvs all across the country after the novelty has worn off. I am not sure that nintendo can achieve anything like the level of success it had with original wii because I am not convinced that the new machine will have the same effect on casual gamers who have now tried gaming and moved on to other stuff. Dont get me wrong I think the nintendo will succeed but I dont think it will perform anything like the wii did. The wii U does look a lot like a machine built to a price rather than to meet the demands of the market and there seem to be too many shortcuts taken with the hardware. Also nintendo`s online performance on the wii was awful and I believe they are still going to be playing catch up to the increasingly slick PSN and xbox live offerings.

9. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    What do you mean about the credit rating and keeping M$ on its toes?

10. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    If either of those companies went bust then the other would essentially have no competition and get lazy, stop pushing the limits as there's nothing to compete with.

I feel that's how Nintendo have managed, because they're not competing with anyone as no-one else makes a home console for casual gaming, everyone else seems to rightly think that handheld devices are the future of that sort of gaming...I can see the Wii-U being a complete flop to be honest, as mentioned the novelty wore off a LONG time ago with the wii and I doubt many of those people will be buying the wii-U.

No idea about Sony having a bad credit rating, it seems as unlikely as the same statement made about Microsoft or Apple.

I'm still waiting for Apple to join the home console front, not convinced they will do now with the massive success of the iPads as their main gaming console, but it would be interesting if they did bring out a real powerhouse of a home console as it could leave Sony potentially following Sega and dropping out of the hardware battle.

11. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    A Credit Rating is very important for a company. It affects what loans you can get, your share price etc. When a company's credit rating gets downgraded, the share price pretty much always drops as people look to offload toxic stock. Bearing in mind most company's accounts audits always fall within their favour, I dare say the picture is worse than what Sony is letting on. Not sure how shielded from the manufacturing arm of the group SCEE is, but it is worrying. It cant come as a great shock, the downrating, especially as Sony has revealled its plan to downsize the Group with a mass of redundancies. And it cant help that revenue in the UK for the games industry has fallen by nearly 25% in the past year. I know your're doing your bit to keep Sony afloat JKhron, but it might not be enough!! :D ;)

12. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    I dont think sony are likely to go under anytime soon, most commentators seem to believe that reforms of the company will bring it back into profit. What I think it means for the console market I think is that I would expect Sony to produce a much more conservative next gen console which is profitable from launch in order to help balance the books.

13. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Apparently this is the 3rd week in a row that a Wii-U game has failed to penetrate the UK top 40 at all, and in fact it was the 15th December when Nintendo Land was 39th!!!

I know its early days for the new kid on the block, but it doesnt look good. Still, what are Nintendo thinking. Shopto has the Wii-U at £285 for the 32GB model. Far too much money.

14. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders

To be honest I wouldn't be at all that surprised if both Microsoft and Sony experience a similar thing when they release their next machine, largely due to the economy at the moment I've noticed a lot of gamers have zero intention of picking up the new consoles on launch, even some who regularly buy launch consoles.

Has the Wii-U had much advertising? I don't actually watch TV so wouldn't really know, but I know they still aren't targetting the normal gamers with their new device, more the casual gamers, but every time i've mentioned the new console to anyone with a wii they've had no clue about it.

15. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    To be fair I don't think the Vita took off to too great a start. I don't watch TV and other than these sites I have seen no advertising of the Wii. Likewise I saw very little advertising for the Vita. That musn't help.

16. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Funny you should say that......

I read this morning in Shopto's new feed that console hardware sales were down by 34% compared to 2011. They went on how everyone is crying out for the next gen to start soon to boost sales all over again.

17. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I can't see me buying any more games this generation, there's maybe one or two i'd be interested in, but will likely be able to nick them off a mate who's likely to get them.

That's probably more to do with the fact that a lot of games companies have seemingly slowed down...likely with the new hardware on the horizon...than it is to do with me holding fire until the next gen.

With that said I do want to buy BF4 for the next generation rather than for the PS3 and I believe they are releasing it for both.

18. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I didn't see any adverts for Vita before release, I have seen a few lately though. Too little to late I think, the memory card price seems to have put sales of the vita totally down. I do remember seeing an advert for zombie u but that's it :-\

I have a few more games on pre order although I might have to cancel a few :D waiting 2 weeks for the price to drop is acceptable to me as the extra pre order dlc isn't worth the extra £20 you can save waiting.

19. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Not good news for Nintendo.....

Lets hope they dont go the way of Sega. In fact, Sega dont seem to have done anything remarkable as a Publisher/Developer since their demise as a manufacturer. But I guess if anything bad did happen to them, then Sony will certainly benefit from it due to the inherent xenophobia the Japs have with anyone who isnt japanese.

20. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    What do Bloomberg know eh?!?! Apparently exchange rates have managed to push Nintendo into the black.....

So with 1.45 trillion yen in assets, I guess any fears about Nintendo going tits up would be unfounded, at least for a very long while anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice