PS4 Well done Sony

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just looked at the overnight stuff from E3. Sony announced that the PS4 will continue to use disc based games, with no new restrictions, so you will be able to trade etc. PS+ is to be expanded to cover indie devs, and there are plenty of devs working on new ps4 games, with 20 exclusive titles due in the first year.

On the downside, you will have to be a PS+ subscriber to play online multiplayer parts of games. But as many of us already subscribe I don't see this as a drama.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just looked at the overnight stuff from E3. Sony announced that the PS4 will continue to use disc based games, with no new restrictions, so you will be able to trade etc. PS+ is to be expanded to cover indie devs, and there are plenty of devs working on new ps4 games, with 20 exclusive titles due in the first year.

On the downside, you will have to be a PS+ subscriber to play online multiplayer parts of games. But as many of us already subscribe I don't see this as a drama.
I've not looked at anything yet, but that sounds good. Any Xbox defectors won't really care about the PS+ part of it as they are used to having to fork out for Gold. I hope you don't have to pay that to use the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer etc though. That's one of my bug bears with the xbox. You need to have a Gold sub to even use those.

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Forgot to mention they confirmed price in US as $399, and it is expected to be £350 here.

Microsoft announced a US price for the one of $499... so thats Sony 2 - Microsoft 0 in my book

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You can still play singleplayer offline without PS Plus. But no DRM at all and £80 cheaper. In your face Microsoft!!!

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Here is an instructional video of how game sharing will work on PS4

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Excellent piss take video.
I wont be getting a PS4 at launch,but I will be getting one when the price is a bit cheaper and any initial faults on the system have been ironed out.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
This is what won it for me Pre Ordered and happy as a pig in muck

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Jesus am I glad to hear this news.

It's like a huge sigh of relief.

At that price it's possible I could see about getting one for christmas, but likelyhood is that i'll pick one up after the first price drop.

What's really weird is that as i've never understood why people would pay money for PS+ (because you're getting "free" games that have been out a year and chances are if you're more of a hardcore gamer you've already played) and that i've always been one of the few saying they wouldn't mind if Sony brought in a charge for online gaming....i'm not really sure how I feel about this.

Are they charging for online gaming but now going to provide a proper server based comms system like xbox live so that people with low bandwidth connections don't lag out a game when they talk?

Anyway i'm essentially sold, i'll see how things go with PC gaming, but I may even sell the gaming PC to generate the cash for the PS4, pretty sure the launch price would be covered.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Anyone who buys the xbox one now gives up the right to ever complain about being shafted by the big boys, there is now a clear distinction between the two biggest players, if you choose xbox one you are giving the green card to companies to take you for all you are worth.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Like Plax I've not looked yet, but does sound promising :)

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It was a good show, not many exclusives were shown but you know sony studios are working on them and they've got another two conferences this year to showcase them.

I like the look of the case and the price is bloody brilliant. Only one bad thing though to use multiplayer you need PS+

I’m completely buggered right now after just having four hours sleep> I honestly I’m glad I stayed up to watch it.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's official Sony done good! My PS4 is pre-ordered so will get it when it launches. Sony have learned from all the mistakes with PS3 - thank god. As has been pointed out elsewhere thank god for competition. It just shows no one company has all the answers. It prevents the hardware manufacturers getting complacent. They have to constantly up their game (no pun intended).

The DRM issue and Microsoft reminds me of when Sky charged for that first boxing match. People then started to complain when others sports were made pay to view. If you care about game ownership, Microsofts current proposals are a deal breaker. Hopefully, they will now backtrack on their plans. Honestly though, I'm not sure they will.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Everyone must have expected the ps+ for multiplayer, MS have had it for years with there Gold account. I knew it was gonna happen just not when.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hopefully, they will now backtrack on their plans. Honestly though, I'm not sure they will.
They cant now as theyre committed. And how many people will forgive them by trying to foist this on us in the first place? Lets be honest, the only reason they would scrub their DRM is they know theyve lost good & proper, and it would be a blatant attempt to win back the Xbox fanboys. Still doesnt get around that price difference either, which isnt in line with current exchange rates. Why are M$ trying to rip us off in the UK? And of course, they cant even reduce their price because the One hasnt even gone to store yet. How would you explain to your customers that you were dropping your price by £100 ( ie just to beat Sony)? What possible reason could you give that wouldnt make your customers believe that your console was overpriced in the first place? The Xbone has had it, and anything that they try and do now is damage limitation. Instead of listening to the Publishers they shouldve listened to their customers. Big mistake.

As for PS+ @ColSonders & @farfromsane , the only reason Im not a PS+ member still is not because I thought it was crap or anything bad, its because I am a prolific game buyer who pretty much has everything. PS+ is an awesome deal, it really is.

In case none of you have realised by now, I will be getting a PS4, hopefully at launch. Because they listend to their customers I intend to support them to the hilt, and do everything I can to make sure its the success it deserves to be. But I dont think Sony needs my help on that;) I was intending on getting PS+ anyway, as it'll help kickstart my collection on the PS4, so Ive no axe to grind on this score.

Im so chuffed Sony have come up trumps.:woot:

Last edited by a moderator:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah I was discussing the whole PS+ thing in chat today, it's something i've never bothered with in the past because I couldn't see the value in it, you pay Sony a subscription and for me I would get nothing in return other than a few games I either didn't want or already played back when they came out.

However my gaming habbits have changed in the last couple of years and I no longer buy new games other than a small handful of safe purchases, so I miss out on lots of potentially good games because i'm unwilling to take the risk on them....so now if I subscribed I would get loads of games that i've not actually played already.

I would like confirmation that the comms issues that have plagued Sony since they first started with online gaming back on the PS2 have been resolved, but that won't ever get discussed as very few people are aware of it, let alone care about it, most gamers don't give a crap about comms.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well thats me out. I had a price tag in my head of £250 (£300 absolute tops), so no PS4 for me.
After the debacle that is the Xbox One and PS4, I'm seriously considering going back to PC gaming full-time.

In case none of you have realised by now, I will be getting a PS4, hopefully at launch.

Looks like this may come true:

I predict that within 6 months of the next gen releases, many on here will have a new console. Someone will get one on launch, someone else will cave and get one (probably @Slaine ;) ) and the domino effect will see others buying one too.

You can quote me on this next year. :)
Sorry @Slaine, I just had to post this. I love you really - in a manly way, of course. :D

Last edited:

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Have they stated how much PS+ is going to be for the PS4 yet?

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really don't have the cash at the mo for a day 1 purchase.
I didn't for my day 1 PS3 either though! ;)