Wed 25 July 9.15pm KILLZONE 3 SNR v Gaming Oldies

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Guns at the ready for our second clan match!

I've challenged Gaming Oldies to a clan match on Killzone 3 as it seems a few folk over there also enjoy the game.

The format hasn't yet been decided so suggestions appreciated. My initial thoughts are:

3 rounds on Warzone - we choose a map, GOs choose a map and we mutually agree on a third map. Alternatively the third map could be Guerilla Warfare on a mutually agreed map?

If you're up for this, sign up below and post any suggestions for format.

Definites
Martok
Slaine
Dogstar
kencanvey
Yinkin
HaloJ

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I should be there. As for suggestions Im easy.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sign me up. Are the maps including the DLC ones?

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Martok warning from when I've arranged KZ3 matches. Changing from Warzone to Deathmatch is a pain in the arse and you end up frustrated sitting in a room wondering where half the players are. Stick with warzone and leave it at that.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
SHROUD said:
Martok warning from when I've arranged KZ3 matches. Changing from Warzone to Deathmatch is a pain in the arse and you end up frustrated sitting in a room wondering where half the players are. Stick with warzone and leave it at that.
Thanks Shroud, I've taken your advice and revised the format:

9.15pm start gathering together + short warm-up
9.30pm start match
3 rounds
1st round on Warzone - SNR choose a map
2nd round on Warzone - GOs choose a map
3rd round on Warzone - map to be agreed by SNR & GOs

Standard maps only to be used to ensure all who have Killzone 3 can play.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As a reminder, Warzone is the mode where there are 7 different objectives within a map. These include "Body Count", "Capture and Hold", "Search and Retrieve", and two rounds of "Assassination" and "Search and Destroy" respectively.

Warzone has 7 standard maps: Corinth Highway, Pyrrhus Crater, Bilgarsk Boulevard, Turbine Concourse SE-6, Frozen Dam, Akmir Snowdrift, Mawlr Graveyard.

Map details are here.

Take a look at the maps and suggestions please for our map of choice plus a second 'balanced' map that we can suggest as the final decider map.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Our chosen map should be AKMIR SNOWDRIFT, and the final decider should be MAWLR GRAVEYARD. Only reason is I like them. :mrgreen:

officer_cartman

Newbie Gamer
Reaction score
thought i would come here on a spying mission....
recon obtained now to report back :)

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Right then, maps.

None DLC we have the following choices
  • Corinith Highway - the one with the wasp turrets pointing at each other across the map
    Pyrrhus Crater - the green one
    Bilgarsk Boulevard - the long grey street with the small crater in the middle
    Turbine Concourse - jet packs and the huge emp effect portal
    Frozen Dam - big dam, yeah the one you're stood next to, what you missed it?!
    Akmir Snowdrift - plenty of places to fall in the water, capture points face each other across the map, snowy ;)
    Mawl Graveyard - the one with the huge crusher

Discount the following :-
Corinith Highway as it tends to be a campers paradise with snipers and mechs pounding the spawn points. Turbine Concourse should also be discounted as it's far too easy to get a total lock down on it although it's a shame to lose the jetpacks.

Include the following :-
I think a no brainer is Bilgarsk Boulevard. All capture points are suitably removed from attack points for both teams. Plenty of ways to move around the map with some points that become skirmish areas. My other choices would be Mawl Graveyard, Akmir Snowdrift or Pyrrhus Crater. Mawl Graveyard can often feel the most brutal as it's all quite close quarters. Akmir suffers from very exposed mission points and Pyrrhus whilst a great map as with the two others can have partial lockdown achieved but not as badly as those that I've discounted.

So far we have :-
Bilgarsk Boulevard and Akmir Snowdrift as primary choices with Mawl Graveyard getting two honourable mentions as a second choice map.

Abs

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with Bilgarsk Boulevard as a definite map.

I'm not so sure about Akmir Snowdrift because you can get lockdown in the spawn at the snow end with the low buildings (not the end starting in the multi-level industrial structure)

I'd suggest as the other two maps:

Mawlr Graveyard
Pyrrhus Crater

as I think they are fairly even.

It's probably best that we come up with all 3 maps to suggest to GOs as I guess they are in the same boat in deciding on which to play on.

kencanvey

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Should be able to play if my brain cell can remember :lol: :?

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hopefully will be there, no reason at the moment as far as I know why I shouldnt be.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Um, yeah I'm in. I'm sure I've already said this but can't find my post. :?

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good luck for next Wednesday all, just incase I forget :D . I'll actually be around next week too, typical :lol: .

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Didn't you request full membership? Vouch ;)

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yup thats a vouch from me too. Quick turn his name red before he has time to post.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The boat has only just settled over the watere, lets not set it off again :lol: .

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well we won but it wasn't quite the victory we were hoping for. :?

I've made a thanks & apology post on their site here and here's a copy:

Hi guys

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for turning up to the match tonight. I'd also like to make a two-fold apology.

Firstly for the initial incorrect set-up where I had a DLC map as the warm-up. After that though when I set it up correctly with no DLC maps, those without the DLC still couldn't join the game. It appears that there's a bug in creating custom games in that if a player with DLC creates the room, it classes it as a DLC room even when there are no DLC maps used. :( It seems that the only way therefore to play clan matches with non-DLC players it so have one of them set up the room.

Secondly I'd like to apologise for the 'heavy win' we had over you. We thought it would be closer than it turned out to be. As I stated earlier in this thread (in one of my posts on page 5 I think) I had set the unlocks to ALL, meaning that no matter your rank you can use any of the unlocks in the game (skills, weapons etc). No player would then be at a disadvantage in that respect. It appears that at least some of you were unaware that you could use anything that you wanted. :?

At the start of the match proper one of our players, Shroud, agreed to be moved over to your team to help out and try to balance things. Initially that gave you a 1 player advantage which we thought was fair. Unfortunately you seemed to lose a player as you were soon back to even numbers with our team.

So I'm sorry if the evening wasn't a resounding success for the Gaming Oldies. Senior Gamers don't feel it was successful as a clan match should be something that is close-fought and fun for all. We would therefore like to just chalk this up to experience and not count it as a proper clan match.

I'd like to make an offer to Gaming Oldies to join us on Killzone 3 again. We play it each Wednesday and any of you is welcome to join us for some games against the rest of the world. I'd also like to arrange another evening for SNR & GO but this time have the teams mixed up from the start, half of SNR & GOs on each team. That way they game should be more balanced and hopefully enjoyable for everyone.
I hope that they'll take me up on the offer and join us for some Killzone 3 with mixed teams for more balance and fun.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Absolutely pissed off. I spent the best part of an hour trying to connect to a game, disconnecting, rebooting the PS3 etc etc. The comms then expired on me, and what with the heat last night that was enough for me.

Sorry I couldnt join you all, but by the sounds of it it was a bit of a disaster.