• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Wear and tear or poor manufacturing

Hondavee4

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
image.jpg
Thought something was odd when my k/d took a plunge the other day but I've just noticed the L3 rubber on my DS4 is about to enter the afterlife,
obviously it's only 6 months old and I never had an issue with my ps3 pad so is it a warrantee job? What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Definitely a warranty job. Even when used frequently, 6 months is a bit short.
Just be sure to check the warranty on Sony accessories. Over here it's 6 months.

Hondavee4

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
6 months warrantee? Blimey where's that?

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My left stick is showing signs of wear too, not that bad though and to be honest I've not really put many hours in since getting it due to various 'real life' issues getting in the way of gaming time.

My left stick has basically lost all of the texture on the top and is smooth, with maybe 400-500 hours of use, that's atrocious if it's about to die out on me like yours

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Mine looks the same.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not an ideal solution but I believe you can buy some sort of caps for them that actually make them better to use & negate this problem.

This has finally happened with my very first PS3 dual shock. A spot of super glue sorted it!

Hondavee4

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My left stick has basically lost all of the texture on the top and is smooth, with maybe 400-500 hours of use, that's atrocious if it's about to die out on me like yours
I just checked battlelog! 263 hours and 45 minutes! And perhaps 15 mins on Killzone and nothing else :( not great really

PNMotorsportUK

Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
my workmates went like that. Mine hasn't but I don't use my PS4 as much as my PS3. DriveClub may change that.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looks like the dog has had a chew! Definitely worth pursuing the warranty option, and if that fails then as @zoob said you can get caps for them (thumb grips or something they are called) and hopefully those will make them useable again.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not sure the collective hours I've been on the ps4, but im a definite heavy user. Both thumbsticks are a bit smooth in the middle now, but thankfully its limited to just that. Apparently its not a widespreaf design fault, but there are a few people whose joypads are looking a bit beat up. Sony are replacing all who come foward, no questions, which is pretty good.

TheFerret

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Not an ideal solution but I believe you can buy some sort of caps for them that actually make them better to use & negate this problem.

This has finally happened with my very first PS3 dual shock. A spot of super glue sorted it!
I bought some caps from Amazon. I found them a pain. Constantly falling off, alwaya at life or death situations!

Hondavee4

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ok! Do you think I should ring Sony or go back to game where I got it from

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
6 months warrantee? Blimey where's that?
Holland. But I checked it today and Sony gives 12 months warranty on controllers. If it's the same over there you should be fine.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm getting a sticky L1 button on mine, does anyone know if you can lubricate them with anything?

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ok! Do you think I should ring Sony or go back to game where I got it from
Game should be you first port of call as that who your contract of sale is with. Tell them its not fit for purpose and you want it replaced. If they try to tell you to contact Sony dont stand for it that is there job.

Hondavee4

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll be going there this afternoon