Warframe is coming to PS4

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Press X to ninja – Warframe is coming to PS4

Do you like ninjas? What if they were in space? What if you could slash enemies, blast them with guns and obliterate them with crazy exo-armor powers? Would you like to level-up, build a Space Dojo with your friends and hang out, dueling each other and trading wall-running stories? Good news! Warframe is your ticket to all of that and its coming to PlayStation 4, for free, at launch! Not only that… we’ll be showing the world Warframe on PS4 next week at E3 (gulping Tums as we speak)!

Our team has been polishing the demo and cramming in as much as we can to ‘wow’ everyone who gets there hands on it at E3! On Friday we showed the rest of our development studio Warframe on PS4 for the first time and the reaction was unanimous – 1080p Warframe is smooth and beautiful! Like kids with new toys, playing with the PS4′s toolbox of goodies has our minds spinning with design ideas for Warframe

I love the new DualShock. The triggers feel awesome and the touch pad is a sweet addition. Right now, we’re using the touch pad to activate your crazy Warframe powers on the run with a flick of your thumb or finger. Want to lunge and smash with your Rhino Warframe? Swipe your thumb up on the touch pad and you’ll charge like a battering ram into a group of helpless enemies.

One of the cool things about Warframe is the Alerts system – throughout the day, missions of opportunity come up and players can squad-up for stellar rewards. To get these notifications when you’re away from the system, we have created an iOS and Android Companion App called the Warframe Nexus. Players can customise their alert settings to show them only the missions and rewards they’re interested in, and while it’s very useful, it’s only the beginning for the Nexus.

Well, I’m off to play the latest build and get my Ninja on (the start screen on our demo literally says “Press X to ninja”). I hope you check out our new trailer and stay tuned for more details throughout the summer on Warframe!

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Excellent demo
The game looks pretty awesome, Going to get the PC version ... NOW

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I tried the PC version and it feels like a console game rather then a PC game. The controls feel like they would be better suited to a console controller rather then a keyboard and mouse. Will have to wait and see what it's like on the Ps4 but should be promising :)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just read a nice article about this game here that suggests the dev team were able to port things over to PS4 and have it running beautifully in just a few short months!

This should be an excellent title for those who can afford the console but aren't able to buy a game with it.

Oh and according to that article i've linked it's cross platform, so as PS4 players we'll be joining the existing PC players in this game! I think PC players are gonna be surprised at just how good some console gamers have gotten with a control pad, particularly since there's much more to this game than simply point and shoot (imo the only thing PC mouse/keyboard controls are good for).

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
How Warframe works on PS4 – exclusive developer Q&A

When you read the word “ninja,” what comes to mind? Exotic weaponry? Stealth and cunning? How about space-faring exo-armor and earth-shaking spells? These images all fit perfectly into Warframe, a fast-paced, third-person action game coming to PS4.

We wanted to know more about this free-to-play, multiplayer suite, so we sent some questions over to Digital Extremes to get a better grasp on the world of Warframe. Associate Producer Pat Kudirka took time out of his busy schedule to answer our inquiries, which we’ve listed below for your reading pleasure.

PlayStation.Blog: How would you describe Warframe to a newcomer in a single sentence?

Pat Kudirka: Space ninjas.

PSB: How has the team responded to working with PS4? What sort of opportunities, and challenges, come with the new platform?

Kudirka: Warframe is an original, self-published title from Digital Extremes. On previous titles we’ve always had a publisher, which was required to ship titles in the console market. This next generation of consoles, specifically PS4, allows independent developers like us to self-publish, without the traditional overhead costs that publishers usually shoulder when a game has to go on the shelf of a retail store.

It’s empowering and challenging at the same time. By bringing Warframe to PS4, we get to tap into the console market and share our awesome space ninja experience with players who prefer console gaming over PC gaming. The transition to the console has been fairly smooth thus far, much to the delight of our programming team. As with most new consoles and hardware, the challenge is always having the right information and proper tools to work with. Sony has done a great job providing these tools to the development community, and continues to support us leading up to launch.

PSB: Does Warframe use any of the DualShock 4′s technologies (touch pad, motion controls, light bar, speaker) that weren’t available with other control methods?

Kudirka: The DualShock 4 is a natural fit with Warframe’s fast-paced, third-person action. Upon entering a mission, the mysterious Lotus will brief you and your fellow Tenno through the speaker on the DualShock 4 controller, and update you as the mission goes on.

If your Warframe takes shield damage, the light bar will flicker blue and green and — once depleted — a red flicker of the light bar will indicate that your Warframe is losing health, so you better call for back-up from your co-op partners.

On top of that, each of the Warframe’s unique powers are mapped to the DualShock 4′s touch pad. If the player has enough energy available, a simple up, down, left, or right gesture on the touch pad will cast the Warframe’s special powers. This actually has been received quite well when focus testing, but there’s definitely more work to do on our end to ensure the feature is flawless.

PSB: Warframe combines a number of different art styles, cultures, and gaming conventions. How did this otherworldly fusion come about, and how does Digital Extremes find a harmony between them? How many ninja movies were viewed as reference material?

Kudirka: Traditional ninja mythology is already cool and interesting, but we needed to push that into the sci-fi realm and kind of forge our own kind of “Canadian manga,” for lack of a better term. We draw influence from anime, Arthurian legend, mythology, and you can probably see some evidence of mech fantasy, Power Rangers, and the whole cyber-ninja trope.

The gameplay follows the artistic influence by sticking to ninja themes of assassination, sabotage, and intrusion, while building an arsenal fit for space ninja commandos, including throwing stars, hunting bows, and all manner of firearms.

PSB: How long does it take, currently, to “max out” a single Warframe? What sort of play time has the team observed from its beta testers? How has the gaming community responded as a whole?

Kudirka: For the average free player, you’re looking at about 10 hours of play to max out your selected Warframe. All items in game, whether it be your Warframe, Sentinel, primary, secondary, or melee weapon, all gain XP individually and have specific Mods that can be applied to each. Depending on the player’s individual goals, the game experience isn’t over once you’ve maxed out your Warframe; there’s plenty more to build upon as we continuously add new weapons and Mods for customization.

We have players that have hundreds of hours logged, so we needed an upgrade/mod system that is very robust, hence why we changed our upgrade system to the current Mod System. We have a growing list of Mods that can be mixed and matched to modify weapons to whatever the player desires. The community was hesitant at first, but the Mod System is now very popular.

PSB: Given that the game is highly focused on cooperative play, what are some co-op behaviors and mechanics that separate Warframe from the pack?

Kudirka: Warframe strives on making the best co-operative experience for our players across the globe, and we believe this is what separates us from the rest. We’re always creating mission types, weekend events, and Warframes with co-op in mind.

Our Warframes have a lot of offensive powers, but we’re always focusing on powers that will complement our cooperative play as well. One example is our anti-matter Warframe, Nova, who was actually designed by our amazing community. Nova’s Worm Hole power allows her to shift the matter around her, creating a portal entrance and exit at a target location. Use this to teleport your co-op partners to places they generally couldn’t reach, providing tactical advantages in game modes like Defense. We have Warframes that can heal and provide energy to the team, teleport players in trouble, and much, much more. Co-op is a huge focus in Warframe, and will continue to be as we design more game modes and Warframes.

PSB: How does Digital Extremes balance free-to-play content with premium, paid-for content?

Kudirka: It’s been a challenge navigating this balance, and the interesting thing is that it was our paying players and founders that shaped the way we handled free versus paid-for. They were willing to pay and support our team at Digital Extremes, but didn’t want a pay wall separating them from players that chose not to pay.

Players can collect blueprints and materials in game, take them to the foundry, and build new Warframes, weapons, and beyond. Every single item in game can be crafted this way, so nothing is behind a pay wall. If you’re a player with lots of time on his/her hands to play Warframe, you can collect all of the necessary materials to build up your arsenal. If you’re a weekend warrior and can’t invest as much time into Warframe, you can simply purchase items via micro transactions. This truly makes us a free to play title.

PSB: What’s next for Warframe? Does the team plan to launch more Warframes, weapons, and mods with future updates?

Kudirka: Warframe is constantly updating on a weekly basis. Every 1-2 weeks we add new weapons and host weekend events. With our larger updates every 6-8 weeks, we introduce new Warframes, enemy types, boss battles, art sets, narrative, game modes, and more. We’re always expanding Warframe so that our loyal community and fans have fresh content, and hope that this attracts new users to Warframe as well.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Warframe PS4 review – Confusing, beautiful and free-to-play

This is the strongest of all PS4’s free-to-play offerings: a four-player co-op shooter built around raids, base defence and occasionally just the sheer joy of killing everything around you. Warframe has a fascinating world of quasi-mythical sci-fi and unusual art design that creates something genuinely distinct around the Tenno – a band of mystical space warriors – as they battle with the lumpy and draconian Grineer.

Warframe PS4 review
The setup sees you choosing a Warframe, an almost magical cross between space suit and armour that comes with a range of class-specific benefits and specialities such as electrical attacks, healing, or – in the case of my Mag suit – the ability to affect fields; boosting shields or pulling in enemies with kinetic attacks. As well as the robo-threads, you can also equip and individually level-up guns, pistols and melee weapons. There are also hovering sentinel drones, ability cards to find, equip, fuse and… oh God, there’s just so much stuff. That’s my main criticism of Warframe – I’m enjoying it, yet can’t help feel like I’m drowning in content rather than actually navigating it.

More on Warframe
With so many options it’s baffling that nothing’s explained, leaving you to cautiously nudge around menus like a colour-blind bomb disposal expert prodding wires. The menus are numerous, dense and utterly unexplained. Upgrades, purchases, load out alterations all feel like they’re being attempted in a foreign language making almost any significant progress cautious and slow.

Visual issues also crop up from time to time, with the game particularly struggling when things get busy. The engine physically struggles to render the action when things get busy. Another problem is that when all hell breaks lose the sheer amount lights, numbers and effects exploding in front of you can make it ocasionally hard to distinguish what’s going on, and to who. It’s the kind of game where, in the button-mashing heat of the moment, you can find yourself watching the wrong character in the confusion (especially if you’re wearing similar suits).

The actual Warframes are the armour you wear, each with different abilities & uses.

Two main currencies are at play in Warframe: platinum and credits. The former allows you to buy premium things straightaway – be it new suits, weapons and other items – while the latter enables you to purchase blueprints and build them instead. That means you don’t have to spend any real money if you’re patient enough to grind away. You need to be careful however, as while a blueprint does tell you what combination of space rocks and magic boogers you need to build stuff, it’s not clear if you actually have it. As a result, I currently have a gun blueprint, which took me ages to save up for, that I now can’t build.

In-game transactions are also shrewdly bundled so that the smaller £3-£7 packs of platinum don’t really get you anywhere significant, and even the larger £20 options won’t get you much more than a single weapon or a new suit. Warframe’s promise of building a magical space warrior is still worth a look – so long as you embrace the knowledge that you’re probably doing it wrong. If you can live with the pervading sense of confusion, there’s a lot of game here for no money. Whether it convinces you to part with some cash or not, you’ll still keep coming back.

Source: OPSM

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is anyone even playing this?

I gave it a try after playing it on PC and being impressed with the concept and visuals achieved, thinking that a controller would suit the run/gun/hack/slash nature of the game far better than a keyboard.

I was very disappointed with the analogue stick implementation on PS4. I naturally favour a lower turn speed so that I can easily target enemies at a distance, which puts me at a slight disadvantage up close but I feel it's the best balance for me and using Aim Down Sights always lowers the turn speed anyway.....but on this game the turn speed normally is intensely fast and the ADS turn speed is painfully slow, there's no balance at all and it's one turn speed slider for both, so to enable turn speed that I can handle when running around I have an ADS turn speed that is utterly useless as an enemy can just walk away quicker than I can track them.

A real shame that such a nice title on PC is totally ruined by piss poor controller implementation on PS4.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Tried it, couldnt see the point, will wait and see what the future brings.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My worry with this game...and all games that use the FTP model are that they'll end up being very 'grindy', which i'd put up with to an extent, it can be enjoyable. I enjoy the grinding involved in Battlefield to unlock everything and get the assignments....but to me the core game controls are broken....though they may have been fixed since I played it.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I enjoyed playing it on pc, i used my dual shock controller and turned the turn speed up a bit. Will probably play it again when i get a ps 4.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My biggest gripe is no trophies at all!! Games without them just seem pointless. I love cut scenes and extras crap, but nothing compares to unlocking trophies. I think Warframe is the best ftp game that the ps4 currently has imho. I quite like it.

GusGorman

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I like it a lot :)

For one reason alone...when you level up and get stuff you know that some greedy corporate idiot will not release another version and then you are back to square one...as BF and CoD...

I disagree about the controls but it's just horses for courses. It reminds me of Phantasy Star Universe which I loved on the 360. It is grind but this type of game always is...you can buy stuff but that just takes the fun away. I am in clan and the people are all good as it is a co-op game and so being sniped every 5 minutes from 3 miles away is not an option :)

Last edited:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I disagree about the controls but it's just horses for courses.
It's my only real gripe with the game....and I only played it the weekend I got my PS4...it's likely been tweaked since then or something you quickly get used to anyway.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've downloaded it on the PS4 but not played it yet. I'm having another gaming lapse. Don't think I've really played anything properly for a couple of weeks.

If it's complicated and grindy I probably won't play it, especially if it's going to be time consuming. Anything which requires effort is too much for me.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The grind is what puts me off, what with killzone and BF both having long unlock paths already there is only so much time that I can put into playing to unlock stuff, I never got to the end of the unlocks in killzone 3 or battlefield 3 and I cant see this gen being any different.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Latest patch now includes trophies:woot:

Its like they read my post:D

GusGorman

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yep and the new event is good fun too. Took me a while to understand what the heck I supposed to do...

...still lovin' it :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Warframe on PS4: Trophy support, customisable controls, more added in new update

Warframe fans, rejoice! Update 11.5 is here and we have a ton of goodies in store. Many of our players have been vocal on our forums about features they’d like to see in Warframe and the Lotus continues to listen. On top of our 10 new weapons, weapon skins, and level expansion sets in Update 11.5, we’ve included a brand new Warframe, fully customizable controls, and last but not least, Trophy Support!

Oberon – the Paladin Warframe
Players using the new Paladin Warframe, Oberon, will make an immediate impact within their squad, assisting in all team efforts across the board. Whether you’re looking to assist your co-op bros with Oberon’s Renewal power or simply inflict effortless pain amongst your enemies with Smite, Oberon is the perfect balance for players looking to aid in both healing and dishing out the pain. But don’t take my word for it, check this out…

Customisable controls
In Warframe there is a huge emphasis on customisation as we want you, the player, to make the Solar System your personal playground. You can customise the appearance of your Warframe and Sentinel, add a touch of class to your Clan Dojo, and create thousands of badass weapon combinations with the Mod Card system (just as a few examples) but you can’t customise your controls…”WHY CAN’T I CUSTOMISE MY CONTROLS, YOU MONSTERS!?” Easy big fella – we hear you!

Players can now map the DUALSHOCK 4 controller to their liking, creating hundreds of layout possibilities. Find what works best for you or simply revert your changes back to the default layout with the simple press of a button.

Trophy support
In the eyes of the fans, Trophy Support is likely our biggest feature addition in update 11.5 and it couldn’t come soon enough. Trophies will have to be earned as they are not retroactive. A total of 20 Trophies are available, encouraging players to rank up their equipment, build items in the Foundry with collected resources, and participate in co-operative play; a key feature we like to emphasise in the Warframe universe. Co-op is king!

With Trophies now supported, I’m hoping I can take down the Wanted posters around the studio clamoring for my head. Now my question is, can I collect my own bounty? I could really use that crusty old danish. Mmmmm… crusty old danish.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Warframe on PS4: New update adds weapons, game mode, more
Digital Extremes makes a number of big new additions to its free-to-play shooter

It’s been a long time coming, but Update 12 is here! The Warframe team is extremely (dare I say Digital Extremely…*crickets*) excited to not only bring Update 12 to our existing PS4 players, but also to our newly added Warframe fans in Japan. They just got a taste on their Day 1 launch. This is another big update that includes a new Warframe, new weapons, a new game mode, and my personal favorite; a badass new HUD!

Zephyr: The air-based Warframe
For Update 12, we really wanted to introduce a Warframe like no other, and we believe we accomplished that with Zephyr, the air-based Warframe. Lighter than all other Warframes, Zephyr uses this to her advantage to increase her mobility, but also to complement her vicious attacks.

New HUD
Now I know sometimes it’s hard to adapt to change, but bear with me here. Our new, stylised, in-game HUD is something every Tenno will enjoy. This HUD is less obtrusive, contains more information for the player and their squad, and we offer a handful of new customizable options to tinker with.

Another big change our players will notice is our 3D transmissions, which bring so much more life to our various friends and foes in the Warframe universe. Be sure to give us feedback in our official PS4 Forums on Warframe.com.

New game mode: Interception
Over here at Digital Extremes, we’re always looking to spice up Warframe and introduce new content and game modes for our players. With Update 12, we’ve added a new capture based game mode, Interception. Along with this game mode, we’ve expanded the beautiful forest level set teased in Update 11.5 across all Earth nodes.

Here’s how Interception works: four areas are highlighted on the map that players or enemies can control. Staying in proximity to the capture point keeps control of areas, but watch out for the Grineer, as they can capture a point by simply hacking nearby consoles. Holding a capture point accumulates points for your total score. Whichever team reaches the max score first wins the round, and then you simply need to clear the area of remaining Grineer to complete the mission.

The more points you hold, the faster your score goes up. When the round’s over, the score is reset and players have the option to claim their reward and quit, or continue to fight on for a bigger reward similar to Defense mode.

This is just a taste of what’s included in Update 12 so load up, gear up, and space ninja the night away, my PS4 friends! Until next time.