Vaping vs Smoking

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A month or two ago I bought my first E-sigaret to try and quit smoking. I tried quiting cold turkey, but that didn't work for me.
This however does. I'm down to 4/5 sigs a day and starting to love vaping more and more. It does take a bit of shopping around for a decent kit that suits your style. I'm currently on my third E-sig as the first two were shite. There are a lot of brands and types. But three time's the charm I think.

There are numerous reasons to start vaping instead of smoking. My major reasons to make the switch:
- It's cheaper. The starterkit sets you back between £25 to £60. The liquid is about £3 a bottle, which should last you a week if you're a medium smoker (15 a day).
- It's healthier. E-liquid is water, nicotine, a flavour and a substance to create the smoke. No tar and stuff you get from cigarettes.
-No bad breath or stinky clothes. The vapor is nothing but water.
- You can vape anywhere, including public places. At least here in Holland.

Has anyone thought about getting one or already has one? If so, which one did you get?

I have the Evod BCC from Kangertech.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was one of the lucky ones in a way, I just stopped, no patches or anything. That was 9 years ago and I haven't even felt like I wanted one since.
Good luck with it though, I know some that have had an awful time trying to quit.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nice one Mick, I take my hat off to you. I want to quit because it's so damn expensive. Vaping isn't, so I might stick with that.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I managed to quit over 10 years ago. Tried and failed so many times before, but this time I did it.

My advice mate is just stick with the quitting. You will do it, I promise you.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I tried to quit loads of times before it happened. Tried nicotine gum, which was about the only thing available then.

I ended up quitting cold turkey and it was no issue, I just replaced it with eating initially. The key was in my mindset, for some reason I actually wanted to quit that time.

Anyway, if it's what you want it'll happen mate, stick with it and good luck.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I gave up smoking for 3 years. I just woke up one day and thought "**** it" and that was that. Unfortunately, I then went on a lads holiday and started smoking again. That was 13 years ago...

I have tried to give up since, but it's been hellish every time I've tried. My advice would be to get out of the coffeeshops - that's why you're finding it so expensive!! :P

Seriously, good luck!

Alien_Chick

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I gave up for 9 years then started again when I lost my first husband....I went cold turkey last time but find it so bloody difficult to pack in again now. I have the patches and nicorette lozenges as I don't like the vapour thing as it hurts my throat. I managed 2 weeks this time then bought GTA5 and have hit a glitch as I love to smoke whilst on the ps3, so have spent the last week on 10 cigs a day but ENOUGH, back on the patches and lozenges tomorrow as I don't want to spend a fortune on cigs anymore. Good luck @Spruijt , here's hoping we both manage to pack it in for good :)

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I havent smoked for 25 years, I gave up when my first son was born hoping that my wife would also quit, she didn't.
Anyway I'd love to get her off the ciggies so I might buy her one of these kits for christmas.
Do these E kits get you completely off smoking?
Do you not just get addicted to the cheaper alternative?

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Alien_Chick Good luck hun, I know you can do it. If you really want to quit, you'll quit. It's all about the timing. I too enjoy a cig when I'm on the PS3, but as I don't smoke indoors anymore the E-sig is quite a nice alternative. I too experienced a sore throat in the beginning, but you get used to it after a while.

@Acegadgets E-liquids come in different strenghts of nicotine, the addictive substance. My plan is to stop smoking normal cigs alltogether and then gradually reduce the nicotine to zero. Liquids with no nicotine excist to give you the feel of smoking, without adding to the addiction.
As said in my first post, vaping has numerous advantages when compared to smoking, and that's why I switched.
I hope to have quit tobacco before the twins are born.
Just buy Pauline a set for Christmas, no harm no foul I'd say. Just make sure to shop around for the right kit. There are a lot of bad ones available. Let me know if you'd like some more info.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I hope to have quit tobacco before the twins are born.
Thats what did it for me. The birth of Rachel made me stop as I didnt even want to stink around her

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I gave up about 6 years ago, Now I'm fat and borderline diabetic, Sometimes I wish I'd never quit.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Look who's talking ;). Your shoulders just got broader when you quit smoking :mrgreen:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My dad died of lung cancer aged 53 as a result of smoking. I'm sure your family will prefer you alive and fat than dead and skinny. Quit smoking while you still can.

PS when he was first diagnosed hd quit using those e-cigarettes. He thought that they were ok.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My dad died of lung cancer aged 53 as a result of smoking. I'm sure your family will prefer you alive and fat than dead and skinny. Quit smoking while you still can.

PS when he was first diagnosed hd quit using those e-cigarettes. He thought that they were ok.
Damn Plax, I'm sorry to hear that. Way too young.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My partner started using a E-Cig but was still smoking at the time its currently sitting on my pc desk flat as she cant be arsed to charge it :\ not the best at quitting anything

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have been vaping since March this year. I was really surprised with how good it really is. I was a 30-40 roll ups a day smoker, and since vaping I only have the odd social cigarette now.

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As a swede, I never have been smoking (okay, sometimes at parties...) but I've been a serious nicotine addict because of the stuff we in sweden calls "snus", which is small bags (or a kind of doe that you "bake" with your fingers) you put under your upper lip.

A strange habbit, I know, but really hard to quit because of the massive dose of nicotine you get.

Tried to stop many times, but always caved in. This time it seems to work :) I'm training alot (mainly maountainbike and running) and it goes really well! Those Endorphines is da shit!! ;)