• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PC Valve releases Steam Machine prototype specs

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Test unit will be high-performance, finished products to show more diversity

Valve has released the specs for the 300 prototype Steam Machine units it intends to ship to testers before the actual product launch next year.

For the initial prototype Valve chose to aim high, assembling a high-end spec from off-the-shelf PC parts. The company cites two upsides to this approach: first, the spec will be easily upgradable should users want to make improvements, and second, any member of the Steam community will be able to replicate the spec if they so choose.

"Valve didn't set out to create our own prototype hardware just for the sake of going it alone - we wanted to accomplish some specific design goals that in the past others weren't yet tackling," the company said in a statement. "One of them was to combine high-end power with a living-room-friendly form factor. Another was to help us test living-room scenarios on a box that's as open as possible."

The Steam Machine prototype units will ship with the following components:

• GPU: some units with Nvidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
  • CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)
  • Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
  • Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
  • Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
Valve is working with an undisclosed number of hardware partners on the Steam Machines concept, some of which will be producing high-performance units like the prototype, and others that will be working towards other goals - like smaller form factors, less operational noise, or a lower price point.

"As we talked about last week, the Steam Machines available for sale next year will be made by a variety of companies. Some of those companies will be capable of meeting the demands of lots of Steam users very quickly, some will be more specialized and lower volume. The hardware specs of each of those machines will differ, in many cases substantially, from our prototype."

Valve will provide more details in how it intends to educate customers on the differences between the various iterations of Steam Machines in the future.

Source: gamesindustry

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sounds like £500 - £900 worth of hardware.

All for the ability to play games with a crappy controller that won't play the games you're playing properly.

Good luck with that.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I cant see how you they are going to make it idiot proof enough for the living room while having a wide variety of potential specs and hardware configurations, but then I am not really up on the world of pcs so maybe it will be possible.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well it's all Linux based, so software wise they can have it fairly simplified and handle hardware configurations automatically and stuff, but given how badly PC games implement controller configs I don't think it's gonna work overly well and the lower spec system is looking like £500+ worth of hardware and won't be very close to matching the PS4.

I'm not convinced at all.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
To me this sounds like a PC that comes with a dodgy controller instead of keyboard + mouse ??