PC Using your DS3 controller on a pc

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I normally use an xbox360 controller on my pc, as it is plug and play, but one of my kids has started using my xbox pad so I thought I would have a go at making a DS3 pad work. I have tried a few different tools and this is the simplest way I found.

First download the 64bit drivers from here
or
download the 32bit drivers from here

Extract the .zip files to your desktop

Then connect your DS3 pad to your pc via USB.

Enter devices and printers. you should see the ps3 controller
Right click and select properties, and then select the hardware tab at the top.
Select update driver and then navigate to the folder you extracted to your desktop... let windows do it's thing and there you have it a working DS3 controller.

However even though you have a shiny new driver you will still find it won't talk to your games...

Download Better DS3 from here

Extract the zip and run it. Most windows games are expecting a xbox controller, so in better ds3 create a new profile, from the drop down menu select Xinput and in the mapping sheet that opens there is a button which auto configures mapping to xbox360 controller. Save your new profile (i suggest calling it xbox) making sure you have checked the box to make this the default mapping profile.

And you should be good to go. Your windows games will detect your DS3, and think it is a xbox360 controller, so will be mapped to it.

It is possible to configure your Bluetooth too, so you can have a wireless connection, but the driver I found needs exclusive use of your Bluetooth device, and you have to uninstall the driver if you want to connect anything else to your PC via Bluetooth.

Last edited:

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I tried It but found it a lot of ****ing around so I bought a cheap PS style PC controller instead.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I also use the motioninjoy software to get my PS 3 pad working but it is a bit of a pain.
I have to run the software before I start the game. Perhaps I am missing something.?
Once its up and running though it makes PC gaming much better.
I really struggled with crysis 3 before I got the pad working. I also use it on warframe. I tried to get it working on BioShock infinite a few days ago but I dont think its compatable.

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I tried It but found it a lot of ****ing around so I bought a cheap PS style PC controller instead.
Yeah I had to mess around to find this method, which it quite straightforward
I also use the motioninjoy software to get my PS 3 pad working but it is a bit of a pain.
I have to run the software before I start the game. Perhaps I am missing something.?
Once its up and running though it makes PC gaming much better.
I really struggled with crysis 3 before I got the pad working. I also use it on warframe. I tried to get it working on BioShock infinite a few days ago but I dont think its compatable.
I found mointioninjoy to be a pita, hence my solution, of just using their drivers, installed manually, and then using better ds3 for mapping profile.

Not sure about motioninjoy, but for better ds3 simply drop a shortcut to the .exe in your 'Startup' folder, and in the application itself select the start up minimized option, then it will start on boot automatically.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I,I'll give it a go.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
i really seem to have screwed things up trying to get the better software to work instead of motioninjoy. i now cant get motioninjoy working at all. My ds 3 test software says its working, motioninjoy says its working but the games don't recognise it being there. Cant get that better software to work either so i've decided to go to Argos and get an xbox one. Quite fancy the one you got @Plaxinator, or i might get that one they sell with cooling fans in it.
i think a year of fanying about with a ds3 is long enough.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
i really seem to have screwed things up trying to get the better software to work instead of motioninjoy. i now cant get motioninjoy working at all. My ds 3 test software says its working, motioninjoy says its working but the games don't recognise it being there. Cant get that better software to work either so i've decided to go to Argos and get an xbox one. Quite fancy the one you got @Plaxinator, or i might get that one they sell with cooling fans in it.
i think a year of fanying about with a ds3 is long enough.
It's really good, just plug it in and forget about it. I have a wired one for the PS3 that has fans in. Doesn't really work like that say. It just makes a loud noise and a pathetic draft. I think I tried it on the PC but I don't think all the buttons worked on it.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Gadget man couldn't resist the bright lights and onboard fan cooling system of the one you didn't think much of @Plaxinator . I think its amazing, when I plugged it in I thought it wasn't going to work as no drivers seemed to install, but when I tried warframe, it just worked. Stated playing BioShock infinite last night and once again it just worked , no having to do any setting up. Wish I had bought one when I made the computer last year.
I,m going to give the platesides, dayzee type of games a blast and might well now get watchdogs and titan fall on PC.