PS4 Upgrading PS4 harddrive

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Almost there!

Deleted all disc-based titles & having already deleted most of the download games previously to make space, I did a Backup of saves, settings plus Driveclub & ...Rapture - around 70GB in total.
2TB drive in safely & operational.
Did the USB update and now doing the Restore, about another 1/2 hour to go.
I'll feed the discs (& corresponding updates) over the course of this evening, download the titles the girls like to play & then that should be it.

Anyhoo, the girls are in bed & it's time to boot up Elite whilst the PS4 is otherwise occupied...
Please tell me you also struggled to pry open the enclosure and nearly bled to death by stabbing yourself in the thumb with a screwdriver.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Please tell me you also struggled to pry open the enclosure and nearly bled to death by stabbing yourself in the thumb with a screwdriver.
No but the scat-munching backup is backwardly inserting a corrupt totem pole unpleasantly.

Tried restoring twice. Meh.

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I too upgraded the hdd on my ps4 to 1tb. When I scoured the web for info there was a suggestion that a 7200rpm drive might improve access times, but as ps4 only supports sata 2 And not sata 3 there is limited scope for performance enhancing upgrades.

Also I read somewhere, although I can't find the source now, that support for extremal hdd is on Sony's to do list for a forthcoming firmware update.

Skarpar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I encountered the dreaded (unsufficient space on hard drive) when downloading updates the other day so have just ordered a 2Tb replacement - I best see if I've a suitable external hard drive to hold everything else I may not be able to go online for a while whist everything updates :brick:

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I encountered the dreaded (unsufficient space on hard drive) when downloading updates the other day so have just ordered a 2Tb replacement - I best see if I've a suitable external hard drive to hold everything else I may not be able to go online for a while whist everything updates :brick:
Good interim planning. :)