PS4 Upgrading PS4 harddrive

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just thought I would give a update, I changed to the new drive and it really is so simple, it must be for me to be able to do it no problem im not the most tech savvy person.
But this is where it has really come in handy, My TV (which is also a Sony product) has 3 USB ports on it and a media player built into it along with loads of other apps and crap. Anyway I thought that I would be able to just plug the old PS4 drive into the USB on the TV to watch films on, but it seems that the media player doodah on Sony TV's is crap. But now that there is a media player on the PS4 I can plug the drive into that and watch films via the PS4, bonus.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just thought I would give a update, I changed to the new drive and it really is so simple, it must be for me to be able to do it no problem im not the most tech savvy person.
But this is where it has really come in handy, My TV (which is also a Sony product) has 3 USB ports on it and a media player built into it along with loads of other apps and crap. Anyway I thought that I would be able to just plug the old PS4 drive into the USB on the TV to watch films on, but it seems that the media player doodah on Sony TV's is crap. But now that there is a media player on the PS4 I can plug the drive into that and watch films via the PS4, bonus.
Yeah, latest update had a media player. Needs to be in a folder to work, but about time they had this feature. Still play them on my PS3 tho as I haz remote control for that.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Will clear some space to do the full backup option.

My Internet is fine, tis more just the time for all the feckin' updates that will do my noggin in.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well, I have upgraded my PS4 to a 2TB hard drive (went for the same one as @Martok). Very easy to do. Hardest thing was trying to get the hard drive out of the enclosure. I sustained life threatening injuries when I stabbed myself in the thumb trying to pry it open with a flat head screwdriver and nearly bled to death.

I also put my 500GB drive from the PS4 into my PS3. That was really easy to do this time as well. I think trying to unscrew that blue retaining screw the first time around was a total bitch. Anyway, need to go through and download what I want on that now. The download list on that is a nightmare, have to go through 1071 items to choose what I want. Meh.

The 320GB drive I had in the PS3 I have put in the enclosure that the 2TB HDD came it. I then hooked it up to my laptop, and using a program called CompuApps SwissKnife V3, reformatted the drive to FAT32 (Windows only lets you reformat larger drives using exFAT or NTFS which the playstation doesn't like), then created folders called MUSIC, VIDEO, PHOTO. Put what films, pictures etc I wanted into the respective folders and plugged it in to my PS3. Then did a happy jig as I now have a 320GB external drive that I can use for my PS3 (and the PS4 now that we have the media player).

KeeferH

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Well, I have upgraded my PS4 to a 2TB hard drive (went for the same one as @Martok). Very easy to do. Hardest thing was trying to get the hard drive out of the enclosure. I sustained life threatening injuries when I stabbed myself in the thumb trying to pry it open with a flat head screwdriver and nearly bled to death.

I also put my 500GB drive from the PS4 into my PS3. That was really easy to do this time as well. I think trying to unscrew that blue retaining screw the first time around was a total bitch. Anyway, need to go through and download what I want on that now. The download list on that is a nightmare, have to go through 1071 items to choose what I want. Meh.

The 320GB drive I had in the PS3 I have put in the enclosure that the 2TB HDD came it. I then hooked it up to my laptop, and using a program called CompuApps SwissKnife V3, reformatted the drive to FAT32 (Windows only lets you reformat larger drives using exFAT or NTFS which the playstation doesn't like), then created folders called MUSIC, VIDEO, PHOTO. Put what films, pictures etc I wanted into the respective folders and plugged it in to my PS3. Then did a happy jig as I now have a 320GB external drive that I can use for my PS3 (and the PS4 now that we have the media player).
Good job, Plaxinator although I am sorry to hear about the life threatening injury, I am happy to hear you survived it, the things we go through for our obsessions. I was glad I updated the hard drive on my PS4 a couple of days after I got it, that way I didn't have a lot on it, so I only had to re-download a few items. I don't envy you, 1071 seems like a lot to sort through. Anyway, congratulations on your upgrade, I am sure you will find it was all worth it. :)

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's mine just arrived.
Probably take about a week to back up everything & install but not a moment too soon.
Have deleted most of the freebies and still don't have space for the most recent Witcher update!
Bit irksome that disc-based titles still do a huge install & you need the disc to verify.
May well stick to d/l titles from here on as it saves me having to find the discs when changing title.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's mine just arrived.
Probably take about a week to back up everything & install but not a moment too soon.
Have deleted most of the freebies and still don't have space for the most recent Witcher update!
Bit irksome that disc-based titles still do a huge install & you need the disc to verify.
May well stick to d/l titles from here on as it saves me having to find the discs when changing title.
I didn't bother backing everything up. I only backed up my game saves and capture gallery. Was a total of 1.8MB and took a minute if that.
I just re-downloaded all my paid for games, patches & DLC. It didn't take as long as I had thought (I do have 76MB fibre optic mind), not even Driveclub this time around. For the disc based games I just put each disc in, loaded it up and quit out the game. The required patches just added themselves to the download list automatically. Any DLC etc I just went into the games folder, chose "My add ons" and downloaded from there.

PS3 on the other hand. I am *still* downloading my paid for games on that, and haven't even started putting disc based games in for the updates yet. Think I will do that as and when. Hopefully by the time I get home they'll have all downloaded!

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll probably start the full backup process & if it looks ridiculous then follow your advice. I only have a 17 meg connection though.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll probably start the full backup process & if it looks ridiculous then follow your advice. I only have a 17 meg connection though.
If you have a big enough hard drive to do that - I didn't! It'll probably be several hours so you could always set it to back up either over night or when you are at work.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If you have a big enough hard drive to do that - I didn't! It'll probably be several hours so you could always set it to back up either over night or when you are at work.
I've got several (which are full) of external 500 meg HDs which need amalgamated / cleared out so this is the perfect time for some housekeeping. :)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've got several (which are full) of external 500 meg HDs which need amalgamated / cleared out so this is the perfect time for some housekeeping. :)
You're sorted then, my largest spare drive was 60GB and I didn't have an enclosure for it!

KeeferH

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
That's the one thing I really do not like about the XBox One, even though you buy a game on disc it installs the entire game on the hard drive and you still need the game disc to verify you own the game, you would be better off just buying a digital copy of the game. At least with the XBox One you can add external hard drives so extra space is easier to obtain. However I am finding I like my PS4 a lot more than my XBone.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Of course I meant 500GB.
Need the space for my visual work but I've got most of it backed up in triplicate!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's the one thing I really do not like about the XBox One, even though you buy a game on disc it installs the entire game on the hard drive and you still need the game disc to verify you own the game, you would be better off just buying a digital copy of the game. At least with the XBox One you can add external hard drives so extra space is easier to obtain. However I am finding I like my PS4 a lot more than my XBone.
Do what I did. Get yourself a 2tb hdd and use the old ps4 500gb drive in the caddy as an external.
And as much as I love Halo, whats with that game size!?!?! Nearly 100gb!:o And its there for keeps on my external too.;)

KeeferH

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Do what I did. Get yourself a 2tb hdd and use the old ps4 500gb drive in the caddy as an external.
And as much as I love Halo, whats with that game size!?!?! Nearly 100gb!:o And its there for keeps on my external too.;)
I love Halo as well, that was the reason I bought the XBone, it had a 1TB hard drive and it came with Halo: The Master Chief Collection, plus it will soon be backwards compatible with the XBox 360. But even 1TB is not enough space on the XBone so I bought a 4TB external drive and I think I am all set for awhile with space for the XBone. :)

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Considering a HDD upgrade to an SSD? Why not wait for these to come down in price - Link

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Wow that is impressive, probably out of date already with the speed technology is improving storage.

Everything is becoming more compact, so how come mobiles are getting bigger. My niece showed up yesterday with her new samsung, that thing is massive.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Almost there!

Deleted all disc-based titles & having already deleted most of the download games previously to make space, I did a Backup of saves, settings plus Driveclub & ...Rapture - around 70GB in total.
2TB drive in safely & operational.
Did the USB update and now doing the Restore, about another 1/2 hour to go.
I'll feed the discs (& corresponding updates) over the course of this evening, download the titles the girls like to play & then that should be it.

Anyhoo, the girls are in bed & it's time to boot up Elite whilst the PS4 is otherwise occupied...

Last edited: