PS4 Upgrading PS4 harddrive

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
For anyone wanting to reuse the PS4 drive in the external caddy, you'll need to follow this guide on how to format it to work work with Windows:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/How-to-format-a-used-Ps4-hard-drive-for-Windows-7/td-p/44527982

Do note that when I did this, all partitions were marked as healthy (ie not unallocated) just as others also found. What you need to do is delete each of these partitions until there is just one, then right click and select 'new simple volume', follow the steps, don't change any of the options.

I'd suggest that you actually plug in the drive after opening the Administrative Tools etc mentioned in the first post. That way you will see the PS4 drive appear when it's plugged in. You'll then know which drive to work on. I did this as my laptop also has a 500Gb hard drive in it and the last thing I wanted to do was delete partitions from that!

Mine is now working with my laptop. :)

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ok only 23hours to complete back up of 1.6gb of data, corrrection in the time it took me to write this it has increased to 30 hours

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Very strange the usb stick is good I just transfered 2 gb of it at a rate of 20mb/s

mick

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok can you reuse the caddy with the HD from your PS4 and use it as a general purpose external USB device , or do,you damage it too much trying to get it out?
Think that will depend on how much wine has been consumed before attempting removal.
Don't fancy your chances @Plaxinator :D

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I thinki mayhave a problem somewhere. 36 hours to completion and this is a different usb drive

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I thinki mayhave a problem somewhere. 36 hours to completion and this is a different usb drive
Make sure the drive is USB 2.0 or 3.0, if it's an old 1.0 drive it'll be very slow. As it is, backing up a full 500GB drive will take several hours, as will restoring the whole thing to a new drive.

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This is just a 1.6gb file. Just reformating a 3rd usb I have knocking aboutnif this one doesnt work I think itmay be ps4 related.

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ok ok panic over the crappy old usb found in the back of the top kitchen man draw is working. The 2 usb that are less than 12 months old are no goes. Could it be becasue they are 32g in size.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ok ok panic over the crappy old usb found in the back of the top kitchen man draw is working. The 2 usb that are less than 12 months old are no goes. Could it be becasue they are 32g in size.
Yes, I think that's the case. I read something about this somewhere. Not sure if it's the drive size or the formatting (which has to be FAT32 not NTFS) which causes the issues.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Think that will depend on how much wine has been consumed before attempting removal.
Don't fancy your chances @Plaxinator :D
Look here grumpy, I've told you a thousand times before I DON'T DRINK :roll:

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ok so hhd replaced, software reinstalled and restored game and player data. Easy

500g hhd put back into caddy followed @Martok link and now have a nice portable hhd.

Apart from MY dodgy usb drives a very painless upgrade. While I go study the inner working of the human brain I will let it download my games.

mick

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Look here grumpy, I've told you a thousand times before I DON'T DRINK :roll:
Oh is that what you was saying, 1,000 times and I still couldn't decipher the drunken slurring. :drinks:

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oh is that what you was saying, 1,000 times and I still couldn't decipher the drunken slurring. :drinks:
Think that may have been me on Saturday night. Fairly certain I actually dozed off at 1 point! (To be fair, my sleep patterns are shot to pieces just now so not just the booze.)

mick

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Going to have to consider doing this as well very soon, I have just checked and I'm down to the last 15 gig.

mick

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is it not possible to just copy everything from the ps4 to the new drive directly rather than messing about??

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is it not possible to just copy everything from the ps4 to the new drive directly rather than messing about??
Don't think so. New drive would need formatting and having new firmware etc installed first. However I believe you could just plug the external drive in and use it like an extension of the space you have. Depends if you want your set up to look pretty and not use up another USB slot.

mick

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oh right, didn't know if you could just clone the ps4 drive.
Gonna be doing this soon, had a new drive come today.