PS4 Upgrading PS4 harddrive

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was using the latest file, I'll try again at a later date ended up simply deleting old files to make room for now

Give me a pc to upgrade any day

Go to page 1 of this thread, 14 comments down Is my post of how I did It including a link to the 'initialise' update required

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cracking and trying again was a bad idea as it now works....... bored watching the download and install bars :yawn:

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Next you'll need to download the 'Initialise' update software from here. http://uk.playstation.com/ps4initialise/
Then stick it on a flash drive of at least 1gb in a folder called 'UPDATE' inside a folder called 'PS4'.
I've recently swapped my hard dirve again for a better model, the initalise link is out of date it now requires you to use this one instead LINK (Direct download version 2.5)

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/ps4-system-software/

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well I've just upgraded to the 2TB Seagate drive:

2Tb Seagate Drive on Amazon
(was £59.99 at the weekend, has just gone up by £5)

I must say it was much easier to upgrade than the PS3.

I used the backup and restore to backup my game saves, system data and gallery. I didn't backup the game installs as I didn't have a big enough drive. I used an 8Gb USB stick and the backup took 5Gb (would have been less if I hadn't bothered with the gallery images and videos).

Taking the old drive out of the PS4 and replacing with the new one was easy. The hardest part was removing the external casing from the new drive (but that wasn't that difficult really).

I'm now downloading all of the games again, which isn't too much of a problem with a 70Mb download speed. For anyone who hasn't got fast enough broadband, if you can borrow a 500Gb external hard drive then you can use the backup and restore to transfer everything for you onto the new drive.

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok will the back up cover all 3 accounts on my PS4? Or will I have to do them separately?

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Very nice @Martok. I have about 70gb left on my hard drive, so I am looking for an upgrade. 2tb would be ideal for me and the price, even though it has gone up, is still pretty good.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok will the back up cover all 3 accounts on my PS4? Or will I have to do them separately?
Yes, the backup covers all accounts on the PS4. I have two on my PS4 (mine and @HaloJ's) and both were backed up and restored.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I keep meaning to do this as I have to keep deleting stuff now just to do updates!

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok can you reuse the caddy with the HD from your PS4 and use it as a general purpose external USB device , or do,you damage it too much trying to get it out?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok can you reuse the caddy with the HD from your PS4 and use it as a general purpose external USB device , or do,you damage it too much trying to get it out?
As long as you're reasonably careful, the caddy is reusable. I plan to reuse it with the old PS4 drive. :)

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yes, the backup covers all accounts on the PS4. I have two on my PS4 (mine and @HaloJ's) and both were backed up and restored.
Great stuff that makes it even easier, well done Sony!