PS4 Upgrading PS4 harddrive

Pafkes

Wait for it
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
anyone has a solid state hybrid drive installed?

Skarpar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I dread to think of how long it would take to re-download everything I've got (which isn't a lot) on my amazing connection speed if I need to increase my hard drive

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not really, you could save yourself £20 by getting a standard HDD, If you go back through this thread you'll see the link to the digital foundry article and the HDD that I bought, Having said that, I'm not your dad and you can do anything you like :)

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Surprisingly it doesn't take as long as the PS3 to format a new HDD, You only need to reinstall the games, Just make sure you back up your game saves.

IMPORTANT : If you are gonna swap your HDD there Is a specific firmware update that Is needed to be installed first!
The link Is In a previous post.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I just upgraded to a 2TB hdd today. Used my old 500GB ps4 hdd as an external hdd for the Xbox One, so I sorted all my storage problems out with one purchase too. Its taking ages to download everything.
My Xbox only had 10.01% space left!!!
And as @HERMAN_JELMET said, make sure you get the specific update for hdd replacement. I didn't initially, and panic started to set in!!:shock:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If anyones curious.....
Ive installed every ps+ game, including a few digital purchases of my own, installed every ftp game and all my games with all their dlcs. Ive even redownloaded the PT demo. And I'm left with 820GB spare. Well chuffed:1thumbup:

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm curious as to do you ever play many of them? I tend to play a game to death then very rarely ever play them again so normally just delete them.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm curious as to do you ever play many of them? I tend to play a game to death then very rarely ever play them again so normally just delete them.
I hardly ever earn platinums, so theres always cause for me to go back. Especially when dlc is released cheaply in a sale.
I hate trading in as you get ripped off.
So yes. Most definitely.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I hardly ever earn platinums, so theres always cause for me to go back. Especially when dlc is released cheaply in a sale.
I hate trading in as you get ripped off.
So yes. Most definitely.
Cool,
Know what you mean about trading in, but if I have a game sat in the draw that's never being played I would rather get rid of it than just have it collecting dust.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong... :brick:

I attempted a hdd upgrade this afternoon using a 1TB Samsung (ST1000LM024) disk I have lying around. I followed the guides which say to copy the update file to the specified folder on the pendrive (Pendrive > PS4 > UPDATE), 3 pen drives later the PS4 still won't except the update file :shock:

Update: Turns out I'm not the only one having issues with Samsung drives

Skarpar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong... :brick:

I attempted a hdd upgrade this afternoon using a 1TB Samsung (ST1000LM024) disk I have lying around. I followed the guides which say to copy the update file to the specified folder on the pendrive (Pendrive > PS4 > UPDATE), 3 pen drives later the PS4 still won't except the update file :shock:

Update: Turns out I'm not the only one having issues with Samsung drives
Might be a stupid suggestion (you've tried several usb's) but are they less than 8Gb in capacity as the PS4 doesn't seem to like usb drives that are too large

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is it the right update file? There's a link on the first page to the right one.

IamNumber6

Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Might be a stupid suggestion (you've tried several usb's) but are they less than 8Gb in capacity as the PS4 doesn't seem to like usb drives that are too large
The last one I tried was an old USB2 8GB pen, the others were 64GB USB3 pens

IamNumber6

Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is it the right update file? There's a link on the first page to the right one.
I was using the latest file, I'll try again at a later date ended up simply deleting old files to make room for now

Give me a pc to upgrade any day

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@IamNumber6 make sure you are using the appropriate update file. Its about 780mb in size. Go to IGN wiki pages for a link to all the various update files, and theres a lot, and select the upgrade hdd one.
I did the same thing by having the wrong file.