PS4 Upgrading PS4 harddrive

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was just wondering, if any of you tech, savvy people could advise me in a new hard drive for my PS4. Im not very hardware savvy and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm after a 1Tb hard drive and dont really know what to look at. My price range is £100, and I would like a fairly decent one that falls within that price.
Please advise and also links would be better. Thanks in advance.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
One of the tech wesites did a comparison on standard, hybrid and SSD drives on a PS4, they also did 5400rpm vs 7200rpm comparison,
Basically they concluded that SSD's and 7200rpm didn't really give a significant increase in read/write speed or improve loading times enough to justify the extra expense.
Any 2.5inch 5400rpm 1TB drive should be ok.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Let us know your thoughts. Im toying with the idea of getting a 2tb hdd. Ran out of space a while ago now, and Ive had to delete 6 games. I know they dont take too long to reinstall, but this 500gb hdd just seems too small. My son has ran out of space on the Xbone and has bought himself a 3tb external hdd. Quite small and nifty piece of kit.

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I didn't know that it would support 2Tb, might save up that bit extra and get one of them instead of a 1Tb one.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is it as easy as swapping over the PS3 one? I've still got bags of space left on mine, mind. Upgraded to 320GB from a 40GB HDD on the PS3 and that is rammed, no idea how they expected you to only have 40 GB!

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
no idea how they expected you to only have 40 GB!
They didn't, that was just a method of getting the retail price down....same as xbox with their 4gb.

I must say i'm surprised that a hybrid drive doesn't give loading speed advantage, good to know that people have already done the testing on that one to save everyone from paying for more expensive hard drives :1thumbup:

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Didnt a review say that the speeds get faster with time/use? IE the more you use something the closer to the front of the cue it gets thus the quicker it loads thus tge faster it is thus I'll shut up now.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Read the article in a previous post, Or just watch the videos.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@HERMAN_JELMET when you have upgraded your PS4 I'd appreciate some feedback on how you got on and how it's performing as I'll upgrade mine with the same after :D

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Didnt a review say that the speeds get faster with time/use? IE the more you use something the closer to the front of the cue it gets thus the quicker it loads thus tge faster it is thus I'll shut up now.
That's how the hybrid drives work internally.

Whatever gets used most is stored on the small flash part of the drive that is lightening fast and this changes over time as you stop using certain files and start using others.

Although I understand it works on clusters rather than files but the principal is the same.

However if different drives with different read/write speeds are not behaving any differently in the PS4 then a faster drive isn't going to help as the PS4 is the limiting factor.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New HDD arrived this morning, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007NVGWV0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_07ZPtb18JBB376AZ?ie=UTF8

It was a hell of a lot easier to do than the PS3, You only need to back up your game saves, Which mine were on the cloudy bit from PS plus so it was already done.

Swapping the HDD is pretty straightforward, Slide the top left hand shiny cover to the left to expose the drive bay, Take out the screw with the PS logo on, pull it towards you to extract the caddy and then take out the four screws securing the HDD,Replace with the new HDD and then reinsert the screws,Caddy,Screw and cover.
Next you'll need to download the 'Initialise' update software from here. http://uk.playstation.com/ps4initialise/
Then stick it on a flash drive of at least 1gb in a folder called 'UPDATE' inside a folder called 'PS4'.

Put the flash drive Into the PS4 then hold the 'on' button for 7 seconds to bring up the 'Safe mode' select the 'Reinstall system software' at the bottom and follow the instructions.

Bish bash bosh! 856gb to install all your crap on

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New HDD arrived this morning, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007NVGWV0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_07ZPtb18JBB376AZ?ie=UTF8

It was a hell of a lot easier to do than the PS3, You only need to back up your game saves, Which mine were on the cloudy bit from PS plus so it was already done.

Swapping the HDD is pretty straightforward, Slide the top left hand shiny cover to the left to expose the drive bay, Take out the screw with the PS logo on, pull it towards you to extract the caddy and then take out the four screws securing the HDD,Replace with the new HDD and then reinsert the screws,Caddy,Screw and cover.
Next you'll need to download the 'Initialise' update software from here. http://uk.playstation.com/ps4initialise/
Then stick it on a flash drive of at least 1gb in a folder called 'UPDATE' inside a folder called 'PS4'.

Put the flash drive Into the PS4 then hold the 'on' button for 7 seconds to bring up the 'Safe mode' select the 'Reinstall system software' at the bottom and follow the instructions.

Bish bash bosh! 856gb to install all your crap on
Nice, I only really have my BF4 game save and that keeps disappearing anyway. What about games you've already downloaded? Is it a case of just redownloading them rather than backing them up. That's what I did with my PS3 anyway. Oooh, do you think that you could put the PS4 HDD in the PS3? That's 500GB innit the PS4 one?

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yup, Just redownload which doesnt take too long on the ps4.
And yes you can shove your 500gb HDD into your PS3, I jus bought an empty caddy for about£6 and now have an external 500gb drive

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've finally hit the 500GB wall, it doesn't take much to fill it does it

Think I'll follow in @farfromsane foot steps after Christmas is over and pick up a 2TB Seagate external from amazon @ £60 (£80 for the internal version :?).

@Martok don't worry I'll go through the affiliate scheme link :P

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've finally hit the 500GB wall, it doesn't take much to fill it does it

Think I'll follow in @farfromsane foot steps after Christmas is over and pick up a 2TB Seagate external from amazon @ £60 (£80 for the internal version :?).

@Martok don't worry I'll go through the affiliate scheme link :P

you should definitely do that. out of 1.77tb available i have 1.33 still to play with. I also can't believe the internal costs more than the external

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What's actually involved in changing the drive?