• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a multi-platform gaming community formed in 2012. We welcome all adults aged 18+ years, we're not specifically for senior citizens! Our name is just to show that we're not for kids.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Upcoming PS4 system software update – We want you to test the beta

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

Calling all beta testers! Before we launch our next major system software update for PlayStation 4, we’re running a beta program to test its functionality. If you’d like a sneak peek at the features and help give us feedback on ways to improve it, sign up today.

You can sign up to be a beta tester here: You will need a PS4 system, an Internet connection, and a master account – sub-accounts cannot participate in the program. Also, beta testers will be able to roll back to the previous PS4 system software update (v2.57) anytime.

The beta program will begin on 2nd September, and we’ll have more information on the new features included in the upcoming system software update at that time. We are accepting a limited number of beta testers, so if you’re interested, sign up sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for helping test the system software update – your feedback will go a long way towards making this even better.

Source: Upcoming PS4 system software update – We want you to test the beta

PNMotorsportUK

Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No thanks . I'll wait on this. Unless it was two weeks later when I get a second ps4.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No thanks . I'll wait on this. Unless it was two weeks later when I get a second ps4.
But you can roll it back anytime so why wouldn't you want to have a crack at it?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
But you can roll it back anytime so why wouldn't you want to have a crack at it?
The reason you can roll it back is its going to crash. A lot. I passed on this too. I was on the Xbox 360 preview programme and it was nothing but hassle. Most of the time the system worked, but it was the endless updates and patches. You couldn't turn your 360 on without a laborious update. The worst preview was where you couldnt play or talk online, unless it was with other preview members. I really can't see Sonys engineers doing any better.
Its one thing to beta test games, which can be enjoyable, to having your ps4 crash endlessly. I'd rather wait for official release.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The reason you can roll it back is its going to crash. A lot. I passed on this too. I was on the Xbox 360 preview programme and it was nothing but hassle. Most of the time the system worked, but it was the endless updates and patches. You couldn't turn your 360 on without a laborious update. The worst preview was where you couldnt play or talk online, unless it was with other preview members. I really can't see Sonys engineers doing any better.
Its one thing to beta test games, which can be enjoyable, to having your ps4 crash endlessly. I'd rather wait for official release.
Well it is a Beta. I'll do all the dirty hard work and getting it all looking fab for you all then :geek:

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well it is a Beta. I'll do all the dirty hard work and getting it all looking fab for you all then :geek:
I'm going to try it. I'm too intrigued to how the in-game communities will work. Setting up games and events may be easier and more successful.

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Signed up, just for a sneaky peak. never know, it could be fun.

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
PlayStation has detailed the features that will be introduced in its upcoming PS4 system software update 3.00. Codenamed Kenshin, the update will increase online storage capacity from 1GB to 10GB for PS Plus Members, introduce YouTube live-streaming capabilities, and allow direct sharing of videos up to ten seconds long on Twitter.

PS4 update 3.00 will also introduce a new events hub, which will provide an overview to players of activities taking place in the games they play the most. This may highlight events such as a double XP weekend, a special enemy appearing at a scheduled time, or the launch of seasonal in-game events. Players will be able to receive notifications when events start or when scheduling changes.

The Friends app will be updated with a Favourite Groups feature, allowing users to organise their friends list. Users will be able to send a "Request to Watch" notification to friends, which will start a live broadcast or launch a Share Play invitation when accepted.

Communities will also be introduced, with users able to create a Community with access to a message board and the ability to join parties or games through a Community Now Playing area. The Now Playing screen will be overhauled to show more information on the activities of users' friends lists.

Participants in the PlayStation beta program will be able to access the beta for update 3.0 "very soon." Sony did not provide an expected timeline for when the update will go live for all users.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Organising the friends list will be a welcome addition.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would like to apologise to everyone on my friends list that was added to that chat, all 41 of you :oops: I went into my friends list trying to create a list of SNR, I didn't realise that it would create a chat room, Unfortunately I cannot kick anyone from the group and it seems you can only leave if you're In the beta and have downloaded the firmware. Once again I apologise.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would like to apologise to everyone on my friends list that was added to that chat, all 41 of you :oops: I went into my friends list trying to create a list of SNR, I didn't realise that it would create a chat room, Unfortunately I cannot kick anyone from the group and it seems you can only leave if you're In the beta and have downloaded the firmware. Once again I apologise.
40 lashes for you!

I'll download the beta when I get home and smugly leave.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Apparently you can leave from the PlayStation app.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You should be able to leave the conversation just like any other on the PS4 by deleting it.

To delete it in the PlayStation App, go to your messages, press and hold on a message (such as this group chat). You'll get a pop-up option to delete it. Doing so removes you from the conversation.

No worries, @HERMAN_JELMET, these things need to be tested. :D

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I also created a group called OAP and then left :/

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Got an invite from the Beta group even though I never signed up for it. Im going to install it now. Be rude not too.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Got an invite from the Beta group even though I never signed up for it. Im going to install it now. Be rude not too.
Hang on a minute, you said you weren't going to bother to start. Some will power you have :D