Unread Posts Counter

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've added a new feature to the site - a counter next to the New Posts link in the navigation bar.

unread_post_count.png

This counter displays the current number of unread posts (individual posts, not threads) in the forums for that particular user i.e. it is unique to every member. Note that the counter is only shown to logged in visitors.

As you read these unread posts, the counter will go down until it reaches zero.

unread_post_count2.png

As you will see, the red colour makes it easy at a glance to see if there are any unread posts.

If you do not wish to read all of the unread posts, you can simply click on Mark Forums Read link in the navigation bar. This will mark all posts as being read and the counter will display the number zero.

Note: The count is for unread posts. It does not count new media or media comments. For now you will have to check the New Media tab from within the New Posts page to see these. However, there will be an new media counter coming with the forthcoming update to the Media Gallery.

Note: The counter only updates if you change page or refresh it; it won't change if you just remain on, say, the forums page all day.

Hopefully this new feature will be useful to members, particularly to those on mobile devices away from wifi, as it'll save clicking through to the New Posts page if there aren't any posts.

Last edited:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've added an additional note to the first post:

Note: The counter only updates if you change page or refresh it; it won't change if you just remain on, say, the forums page all day.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
135 new posts that cant be right :lol:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Damn you lot and GTA V got it down to 21 :D seems to count all posts not just one for each thread which is nice indeed ;)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Damn you lot and GTA V got it down to 21 :D seems to count all posts not just one for each thread which is nice indeed ;)
Yes, as it says in the first post the counter is for unread posts not unread threads.

Don't forget that you don't have to read them all to get the counter down to zero. Don't forget that when you've read all of the ones you are interested in just click on the Mark Forums Thread link in the navigation bar and it'll mark all posts as read and the counter will set to zero.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Great, thanks for this. It does make up for Tapatalk :D

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Um mine reads 730, oops!

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, as it says in the first post the counter is for unread posts not unread threads.

Don't forget that you don't have to read them all to get the counter down to zero. Don't forget that when you've read all of the ones you are interested in just click on the Mark Forums Thread link in the navigation bar and it'll mark all posts as read and the counter will set to zero.
I might miss one of @HERMAN_JELMET pearls of wisdom if I don't read everything lol