[Tue 4 Jun] Defiance - Holy Shtako!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This week, following feedback from members, we'll try and be a bit more organised and do some other things instead of just Arkfalls all evening.

A suggestion is that we begin with an Arkfall whilst we all gather together. After that, we can then move off and try one or more of the following:

• PvP action in Shadow War and competitive maps
  • Co-op maps
  • Storyline, following one player around as they work on their missions and the rest support

Not everyone may want to do all of these so once we're all together we'll work out what we want to do and then take it from there.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest avoiding Storyline with a big group.

Other than making things FAR too easy (story missions work best with 2-3 players doing it) what will undoubtedly happen is that people will complete the objectives for the mission without the player who's actually seeing it for the first time getting a chance to see what's going on.

I know this caused issues with Borderlands 2 with people playing at different speeds and it will be exactly the same thing here too.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest avoiding Storyline with a big group.

Other than making things FAR too easy (story missions work best with 2-3 players doing it) what will undoubtedly happen is that people will complete the objectives for the mission without the player who's actually seeing it for the first time getting a chance to see what's going on.

I know this caused issues with Borderlands 2 with people playing at different speeds and it will be exactly the same thing here too.
I was assuming (possibly incorrectly) that folk would be sensible if they had already completed a mission that they were re-playing with another player. I've done this recently with a couple of people and pretty much all I've done is helped kill enemies, leaving the main player to complete the plot themselves. But I agree, if folk aren't going to do this, story missions should be avoided.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't think it's really a case of being sensible, players work at different paces that's all.

For the faster paced players they will want to stop fannying about and progress the missions, particularly if it involves doing something they've not done before (missed the first time through for example).

For the slower paced players they will want to take their time, taking everything in and not feel rushed, they will feel hard done by that they are missing stuff due to their slower pace.

As it is a long time to work around to second playthrough to get the opportunity to play through a story mission properly again it's probably best avoided.

Where as co-op missions can be played over and over as many times as you like, so if you miss out on something you're not talking serious amounts of gaming time before you get another opportunity.

My concern is only for those slower paced players as I saw people get upset by the very same thing in Borderlands and there's opportunity to avoid that happening again.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I personally think that the story part of the game is best played as a single player game. I think that you learn more about it that way, trying different weapon / grenade / shield combos until you find something that you like.

Contracts is something else that can be worked on as a group but I think that there is a level limitation on those.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Will be there, although in Bristol so may be a little late. For the record I'm an average speed player (just to throw that in the mix to :D)

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Whats the plan then Boss ?

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Bruce Sprinngstein is playing to, WOW :clap:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I am planning on setting up a "Contract Killer" group tonight if people are interested in being a little more focused on something other than Arkfalls.

We'll group up so we can easily see each other on the mini-map if there's less than five of us interested.

The name of the game will be completing contracts, both daily and weekly contracts. We'll basically just wander the map looking for whatever random events are used in the current contracts...doing arkfalls if required for Hellion kills etc and maybe even ticking off the co-op and PVP stuff if people fancy a go at those and the numbers of players fits.

You can usually do most of the contracts outside of co-op/pvp stuff in an hour or two so hopefully it'll work out well.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The siege events are quite good, I only got to do one last night but still got about 15,000xp from it.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The siege events are quite good, I only got to do one last night but still got about 15,000xp from it.
The what now? Is that new?

Do you know if there's an EGO pre-requisite for those?

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The what now? Is that new?

Do you know if there's an EGO pre-requisite for those?
Yes they are new, you get a new symbol on the map, that's where it is taking place. I don't think that there is any Pre-requisite for them as they appear on the map like an Arkfall does.

You and Alien_Chick were not far from one last night when you was in San Fran, it was north of the Fast Travel point.
Have you not seen any of the Afflicted emergencies ?? They appear all over like the "normal" ones.
Emergencies:
- Internment Camp: Help some ER soldiers regain control when some over zealous rebels attempt to liberate their plague infected loved ones.
- Triage Center: Defend a makeshift medical center as it gets over run by the Afflicted.
- E-Rep Soldier Camp: Join in the fight as ER Soldiers try to defend their camp and their lives from the unceasing attacks of the Afflicted
- Dark Matter Outpost: No one is safe from this plague, not even the Dark Matter. Witness one of their camps being attacked.
- Checkpoint Troubles: Help a lone surviving Echelon soldier fight off the Afflicted that are attacking her checkpoint station.
- Gridlock: A stretch of road filled with wrecked cars holds a deadly surprise for any Ark Hunter foolish enough to go exploring.
- Car Trouble: A pair of Ranchers attempted to clear the road and got caught in an Afflicted Ambush. It’s up to the player to save the day.
- Spreading the Disease: The player gets to witness first hand what happens when plague infected Raiders bring the disease into some of their drill machines. It’s not pretty.
It seems like there is 4 different places where you get a siege, when you have done all four locations you get a new car. There are also some new tasks in the Episodes bit on the L2/Goals menu

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've not really played much in the last couple of weeks....so the zombies were a bit of a surprise last night for me.

It's awesome that they are adding this stuff in though, certainly helps to keep it from becoming stale.

As for last night, I think I enjoyed that a little more than running Arkfalls all night, we managed to get through a few contracts and do a major Arkfall in the middle of it.

It wasn't particularly well organised and I apologise for that, I forgot that not everyone would have the contracts unlocked yet and a few people were confused as to what we were doing.

Other than that though I think it worked well, being in a group gets you progress towards contracts from the other players getting the kills, I think it sometimes works for the clan too? So it's worth grouping up when working towards contracts, even if it's two groups.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was a bit all over the place last night, I had no comms and could hardly hear anyone anyway. I had a play with the sound levels in-game and it didn't make it any better so just hit the reset and forgot about it. What I didn't realise for ages was this turned off all the chat, seems a bit weird for a default setting.

I just roamed about doing emergencies and I finally finished off getting gold on all the time trials, so I now have a black Challenger.:gamer:

Has anyone managed to get the silver on the rampage that is at Overpass in San Fran. Dark Harvest I think its called, the one with the minigun. I cant fecking do it,need 120,000 for silver and the highest I got was 107,000. Top score is over 1,000,000:wtf:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't think I had unlocked any of the contracts so I just went off and completed a mission from the story mode. I did teleport to the odd person now and then and did a couple of arkfalls and things with zombies in them.
I'm not sure about how I see if I've unlocked modes / contracts and stuff though?
Also when you start up do you always automatically join your friends games? I thought I would have to manually join but went straight into the clan?

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't think I had unlocked any of the contracts so I just went off and completed a mission from the story mode. I did teleport to the odd person now and then and did a couple of arkfalls and things with zombies in them.
I'm not sure about how I see if I've unlocked modes / contracts and stuff though?
Also when you start up do you always automatically join your friends games? I thought I would have to manually join but went straight into the clan?
To see any available contracts either go to the map or your character screen, Hold L2, and select Goals. If you have contracts unlocked you will have the option to press R1 to see them.

What do you mean by "join your friends games" ?

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@ColSonders This is what a siege will look like on the map, looks a bit like the Transformers logo :D

Last edited by a moderator: