Tripadvising seniors.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've got a couple of weeks off and we decided at the last minute to take a trip to Pembrokeshire. Its a part of Britain we've never been to before .
We are just going for a few days, staying in a "shed" in someones garden near tenby (it looked nice and was cheap on eBay) We are taking the dog, setting off from Tyneside tomorrow, going via the M1 to the Midlands, Worcester etc . Then on Friday coming back up the Welsh coast to North Wales and up the M6.
As we've never been to Wales , where do you recommend we visit while we are there, and also can you recommend interesting places to visit on the trips to and from Wales.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't know that area at all, I'm more familiar with North Wales which I visited a lot when I was a kid. I'm sure one of the Welsh contingent will be able to advise you though.

Enjoy your holiday and take some photos for us to see on your return. :)

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Enjoy your holiday and take some photos for us to see on your return. :)
You should have said , dont post too many picture on your return. You know me, I'll spam the place with pictures of Hills, lakes and Ducks.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Give us a shout if you get to Worcester mate.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm in North Wales. Do you like walking and visiting castles etc? I can probably suggest a few things. Also if you veer off towards Gwynedd / Anglesey and fancy a meet up let me know.

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Pembrokeshire is well known for it's coastline Ace so if you like walking you can't go wrong. Tenby is a great place to stay or visit. Pembroke castle is another option. Jenxy is from Pembrokeshire so she'll have more ideas for you later.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've been to Tenby many times, it's a nice area.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Very pretty round there. Tenbys a lovely town. Have a good time.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I found a site that's got some good info on it.
http://www.thewoofguide.com/dog-friendly-things-to-do.asp
Was in two minds if we should take the dog, but this swayed it for me.
Will be passing through Worcester on the way down tomorrow, and up towards Anglesey on the way back onFriday. Probably no time to stop for long though.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll be at work until 5pm, so I'll probably miss you. Some other time mate!

Jenxy_

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hey Ace have never seen that doggie site before, its great, I'm a Pembs girl so hope this helps.

Tenby's great, its uber touristy with small lanes and lots of independent shops, when the weathers nice it does get absolutely heaving down there mind, loads of pubs down there to, so you wont be stuck for somewhere to go in the evenings.

Would defo recommend a meal at the Galleon which is on the doggie friendly page, the food isnt amazing, just general pub food but you can actually have the dog inside there, so you wont have to sit outside and Broad Haven is a smallish beach but decent enough to walk the dog along.

The Sloop in Porthgain which is also on the doggie site is lovely, again traditional pub food, it is a little pricier than most places but its in such a beautiful spot. Also Porthgain there is a really lovely walk along the coastal path, where you can see the old brick works.

In the same sort of area you have the Blue Lagoon which is a beautiful spot and another nice walk, you could easily do the two on the same day. I cant recommend them enough, they are 2 of my favourite places in the whole world.

http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/tourist-attractions/Beaches/Wales9704.htm

Also on your way there, on on your way there and back you will drive past Newgale beach, which I think is the most stunning beach, as you come over the crest of the hill and see it, it just makes you go wow. You'll understand what I mean if you head that way, although admittedly coming from that area I am a little biased.

http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/content.asp?id=2005

St Davids is nice and would be nice for you to experience but it might be a bit of a waste visiting there this time, as you wouldnt be able to take the dog into the cathedral and if you are visiting St Davids, its all about the cathedral really.

http://www.stdavids.co.uk/

As Wilks mentioned Pembroke Castle is definitely worth a visit, its in good shape and you can walk round a fair bit of it. I wouldnt hang about in Pembroke/Pembroke Dock though as there's nothing else going on there.

http://pembroke-castle.co.uk/

Bosherston Lily Ponds, think the name gives away what they are, another lovely walk, with lots of wildlife, great way to spend a morning/afternoon.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stackpole/things-to-see-and-do/article-1356404655196/

I have mentioned all the above as they are all some of my fave spots, all pretty places where you can take the dog, none of them are any more than a 40 minute drive from Tenby and I think they are all free to visit, which is always nice.

Have a fab time, it really is a beautiful part of the world so Im sure you will :D