The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Multi Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Shooting & Action Adventure' started by mick, 23 Feb 2013.

1. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    This is looking interesting / or not, cant make my mind up. Are games getting all a bit too alike ??

2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    You know what Mick I'd have to agree. Everyone wants a slice of the Call Of Duty pie, as its such a money maker. At the moment theres no fatigue setting in with me, and I am really looking forward to this Tomb Raider. But thats not to say it wont set in eventually. I remember near the end of the Mega Drives life I was so utterly sick of platformers. Even now, I find it difficult to get enthused about them, which probably explains why I hate Mario so much. The only "platformer" Ive enjoyed in recent times was Mirrors Edge.

Ive been playing Black Ops 2 on the Xbox recently, and anyone who knows me will probably remember me whingeing incessantly about Activision, Bobby Kotick, and the lack of innovation in Call Of Duty. But Ive still gone on to play each and every one of these bad boys, and I dare say thoroughly enjoyed them. :oops: Im always harsh when I talk about the CODs, but being honest I'd have to admit they are pretty damn fine games. This latest one is the best, chucking in some surprise RTS in the singleplayer, and showing the world how online FPS games should be done. Even the revolting snot nosed pre pubescent kids that populate the game behave themselves these days (Im guessing theyve got tired of the bans - see some of the begging done on the Xbox forums for a laugh).

Anyway, I digress. Games these days do seem to follow a set blueprint, but for me Im still happy about this.

3. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    I tend to have a love / hate thing with FPS.
    Take BF3 for example, I loved playing the SP and completed it, but when it comes to the MP I totally suck at it and hence thats why I have only levelled about 3 or 4 times.
    Its not just BF, any FPS Im just no good at and the constant die/respawn cycle just gets tedious. 10 minutes on BF3 and I have had enough, its not the dieing thats a problem its my lack of skill to kill anyone. Last game I tried I think I had something like 0 kills and 24 deaths. :crazy:

Thing is I like playing them, I must do, recently having got GR:FS, MOH:W, FC3....

4. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Liking the look and reviews for Tomb Raider, case of when I'd get to play ot. Got a lease car 5 weeks ago and already clocked over 4,000 miles, doh!

5. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Got this on the 360. This is by far the best Tomb Raider Ive ever played. Theres not an original bone in its body, and it feels like the love child of Far Cry/Ghost Recon/Assassins Creed. The multiplayer is basically Uncharted, although admittedly not as good. The single player is just fantastic. Very atmospheric, cracking story, and some of the best mo cap Ive ever seen. Word of warning. It feels so different it doesnt feel like a Tomb Raider game at all. Certain elements remind you that it is, but it almost passes for a new IP. So if you were expecting more of the same, you may be disappointed. Sorry, wrong word, pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, Ive just finished Batman on the 360 which I got for £2.59 (digital download sale). My son bought Tomb Raider, which I am currently ploughing through, and hes just bought Lego Lord Of The Rings too. Going to be a busy little bee till 22nd March when the new Gears Of War is released. :woot:

6. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Does it have an online pass thing? Might rent it, if you can still rent games lol

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    No online pass at all.

8. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    I agree totally Slaine. As soon as I'd reached the first campsite I was hooked. Crystal Dynamics have always "got" Tomb Raider and whilst it clearly borrows from lots of games it still somehow manages to feel fresh.

Each level has several campsites which act as hubs. As you salvage items you can use this to upgrade your weapons. You can also fast travel to other campsites to locate hidden items of which there are numerous different types. Finally, you can spend experience points to improve your skills.

I have it on PS3 and played it the first night for 4 hours. The engine seems pretty flawless to me. I've not noticed any slowdown or screen tear. There are few loading times, only when you die I think and then for 5 seconds or less.

I haven't touched multiplayer yet but will comment once I have.

It is the first game in a while I had to force myself to stop playing, 2 hours after I'd intended!. I have really enjoyed this so far and realise my love of gaming is still there - I just need games to spark my imagination. Loving it :D

9. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Glad you like it too Dogstar. When you first start playing, and especially if you look at the trophies/achievements, you think that theres far too many collectables. But when you start playing the game, theyre balanced so well you truly feel like you can find them all by yourself without Youtube. They also add XP, so theyre not just for trophy whores; theres actually value in collecting them. But best of all is salvage. Theses are crates scattered around containing, well salvage. It acts like the games currency, which you use to upgrade the weapons. The weapon upgrade system is pretty smart. Not too many variables, which is fine by me as some games over egg the pudding a bit with bits of kit (BF3 springs to mind here).

Playing it more and more it feels so much like Uncharted, especially the shooting and climbing. But then you find a hidden tomb and its definitely Tomb Raider.

Im the same, Ive literally had to tear myself away from it again this morning, by sheer force of will.

As for the multiplayer, its pretty smart. It doesnt revinvent the wheel, and is remarkably similar to Uncharted here, but thats no bad thing. :thumbup:

10. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    The more I see the more I want. Will wait until next weekend and see what a 40 odd year old gets for pressies that may go towards a copy ;) .

11. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    My son has it on xBox, it looks excellent, very similar to uncharted. I might get a lend of it soon although he does like it he's on sim city 24/7.

12. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Wahay I now have a copy of this :D . Got some lovely vouchers for my birthday, went for the survival edition, came with a nice art book, soundtrack and a code for some Agent 47 guns for multiplayer. Now just need Mini Shroud to go to bed so I can play it :evil: .

13. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Planning on playing the multiplayer tomorrow evening from 8.30pm (Tuesday 19th) if anyone is interested in joining in?

The campaign is very good, the multiplayer is OK, but imagine as always vastly improved when your with your buddies :D .

14. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Good laugh last night Dogstar, especially when you were hanging upside down from my trap, and my shotgun accidently went off in your general direction :lol: :thumbup: .

15. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Lol that wasn't what I was thinking! ;)

16. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    If anyone is about tomorrow night (Tuesday) feel free to join in with some multiplayer shenanigans :).

17. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I'm waiting for it to get cheap, what is the MP like?

18. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    T'is OK, there are some nice features such as setting traps and blowing up the scenary that are good fun. It's a little basic, and it was a giggle last week in known company plus you can still rank up in a private match to.

19. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Campaign completed, very good. On 80% so lots of collecting and tomb raiding to do.

20. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Just in case anybody hadn't spotted it - there's currently an "Easter Sale" of the digital copy of Tomb Raider plus a couple of extras for £19.99 all in.
    I purchased it & downloaded it last night - just about to give it a whirl now...

EDIT: On the PlayStation store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice