Multi Tom Clancy's The Division

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's marketing for you!
You have seen this old thing, right? same thing, different products. ;)

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Uh-huh, suuureee @HERMAN_JELMET :D

And @Solo-nite , don't you know anything about marketing? The products are seldom as good as advertised! ;)
Yea it's known as false advertisement. After the Aliens: Colonial Marines fiasco they were going to stop developers from doing this as Gearbox were sued. That's why you will see prior trailers with Alpha footage or Recorded on PS4 or even using game engine not actual game play footage like Star Wars Battlefront's trailer.

The point is they made it out to be next gen and revolutionary with the snowdrop engine and then showed something that was completely rubbish in comparison which is a shame.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Do any of you really take any notice of any game before it is actually released? You see it time and time again games turning out to be crud compared to the pre-release footage.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll be honest and admit I couldn't tell the difference between all the footage for Aliens, compared with retail release. Im sure there are differences, but none that I noticed. I really like Colonial Marines. Alien Isolation is the best Alien game ever, but I loved Colonial Marines too.

I love E3 and all the other shows, but I'm always wary of footage shown. I'll get excited, but theres always the doubt that what we're seeing is a bit of smoke and mirrors. Game engine cut scenes are not gameplay, and these I dismiss immediately. Why do developers think a game engine video is indicative of the final product? More to the point, why do so many people think they're actual gameplay videos too? The first Battlefront video released is a good example of my point.

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Do any of you really take any notice of any game before it is actually released? You see it time and time again games turning out to be crud compared to the pre-release footage.
I'll be honest and admit I couldn't tell the difference between all the footage for Aliens, compared with retail release. Im sure there are differences, but none that I noticed. I really like Colonial Marines. Alien Isolation is the best Alien game ever, but I loved Colonial Marines too.

I love E3 and all the other shows, but I'm always wary of footage shown. I'll get excited, but theres always the doubt that what we're seeing is a bit of smoke and mirrors. Game engine cut scenes are not gameplay, and these I dismiss immediately. Why do developers think a game engine video is indicative of the final product? More to the point, why do so many people think they're actual gameplay videos too? The first Battlefront video released is a good example of my point.
You guys are absolutely right. There are some developers out there that what they show is pretty much on par with final release and yes the battlefront 1st trailer was just a scripted trailer using the engine and not gameplay footage. What was recently shown was alpha footage captured on PS4 to give you a rough idea of the final product.

Colonial Marines I really liked too but it was heavily dumbed down from what they showed three years before launch - if you look for A:CM comparison vid's you'll see what I mean. I still bought it though and I still enjoyed it (apart from the tearing on PS3 and broken matchmaking on PC)

Alien Isolation is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned. After all these failed Alien games over the years this was amazing, I got the game and season pass and I am happy to own them.

When I saw the original Division footage a few years ago I was amazed but given Ubisoft's record I was dubious too and yet again they dropped the ball.

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This isn't just a presentational thing though and even if it was, does that suddenly make it acceptable?
I do think it is acceptable yes, whether you think so or not is up to you.
As a developer I know some ideas, demo's or even alpha code can drastically change because you hit some unforeseen insurmountable obstacle.
I never rely too much on E3 stuff or trailers et cetera as being "the product", only for the general ideas and concepts.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I do think it is acceptable yes, whether you think so or not is up to you.
As a person that was brought up to believe that lies and deceit are bad then obviously I don't find it acceptable.

If they had shown it as a concept demo it would be a different kettle of fish....but instead they have deceived their community by showing footage claiming to be played live that appears now that it was pre-rendered.

Don't get me wrong, the game will probably still be good, Ubi have a history for making good solid shooters with top notch graphics and gameplay. I'll probably still get the game if it turns out to be good. But it's not at all the game they initially showed, next up there'll be no mobile device support.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Uh-huh, suuureee @HERMAN_JELMET :D

And @Solo-nite , don't you know anything about marketing? The products are seldom as good as advertised! ;)
Target renders aren't always done in the same engine either. With more powerful machines, the engine is often enough but more often than not the renders are done by a different studio, much like the FMV sequences of yore.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A HUNDRED AND TWENTY SMACKERS ... FOR A PLASTIC WATCH!!

Special collectors edition don't seem very special these days, I'm no stranger to the collectors editions love a decent statue me or a head bobbler thingy and lunch box (fallout 3) or a rather snazy usb hub and board game (EVE Online)

You'd think they'd give you something more than a plastic glowing watch and an armband case for 120

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looks like they haven't decided what they're going to shoehorn in or withhold for the season pass yet either. The former I can live with(out) though.

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I am still not sure what to think of the division I really want the game that we saw in the first e3 bit the last e3 it just looks rubbish

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really wanted to play it at EGX but the queue was 3 hours long. I'll wait for the beta.
Did you manage to see any game footage while you where there?

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Did you manage to see any game footage while you where there?
No mate but I spoke to someone who played it and he was impressed. There's a beta in January.

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No mate but I spoke to someone who played it and he was impressed. There's a beta in January.
It be interesting to try it or before buying. I just hope it's not a fail

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looking good!