Thu 20 Sep 8.30pm - Battlefield 3 Thursday

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Another regular Thursday on Battlefield 3.

Map rotation will be set to standard + Karkand maps as usual. If ALL non-Premium members have purchased Armored Kill (which is out on Tuesday) then we may switch to an Armored Kill rotation for them, otherwise we'll stick with standard + Karkand so that no-one is excluded.

Do note that some folk may receive Borderlands 2 a day early so they may end up playing that, though I'll set up an event for that on Friday.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
i,ll still be on the battlefield on thursday.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll be there if Borderlands 2 hasn't been delivered

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Will not be there as I'm on nights shift

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll be there.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well my copy of Borderlands 2 has been dispatched by first class post, so 'should' be with me tomorrow.

But if my wife gets her wish, which is that since i've took the day off work, my parcel doesn't arrive and the electric goes off and the weather is too shitty to go outside and do anything....then I won't be on at all.

Chuck me an invite if you're low on numbers and i'll probably jump over for a bit since i've got all day tomorrow to play it.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed the last couple of nights on BF3, so I imagine I'll be there.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
At this point in time, I'm in too.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Will any non-Premium members be joining us? If so the server is currently set to standard + Karkand maps so they should be fine. If there are only Premium members playing, we could switch to the rotation which adds the Armored Kill maps in?

vitaredux

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
I don't want to ruin your fun, but I'd love to join you without AK.
I've bought Karkand (no brainer), but is AK worth the money?

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
To be honest I'm disappointed with AK. The conquest maps are ok but a bit empty even with 24 players. King of the hill / tank whatever is basically a game of who gets spawn lock first and Rush is ruined by the inclusion of the Gunship raping the attacking force.

Playing standard plus karkand isn't going to ruin anyone's fun so we'll see you there. :1thumbup:

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What Halo said :stupid:

Standard + Karkand maps it is then, more than happy with this. See you tomorrow evening from 8.30pm. :1thumbup:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I like AK, but it has too many issues at the moment, the Tank Supremacy mode is broken and the Rush mode is very one sided.

I'd say it's almost as much a waste of money as Close Quarters, but at least you can just stick the odd AK conquest in a normal mix of maps.

Premium is worth it IMO, but none of the individual map maps have been anything to write home about, including Karkand.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I love the 4 new maps on AK , if you stick to conquest. Rush is fine if you are attacking, but no fun for defenders. Havent played enough Tank Conquest, Quite liked the games i've been on as I've been on the wining sides more often than the losing one .
I wouldn't recomend you buy it though, if you are just playing with us as I think we'll be playing less and less Batlefield as newer games are coming out every few weeks that will be catching our gaming time more and more.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New games maybe coming out but BF3 isn't going to die. Thursdays will still be the day for organised games and there are a good number not getting Borderlands who play on other nights. I'm an example of someone who doesn't play BF 24/7 as I mix it up with Killzone and other random titles.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Server update today could change peoples minds about AK......

Gunship balancing in server update R31 on September 20th (all formats)
• Stationary and mobile AA cannon damage has been reduced by 30% versus the gunship.
Rationale: This fixes an issue where it was too easy for players to use stationary or mobile AA to shoot down the gunship from the other side of the map.

• Jet cannon damage has been reduced by 50% versus the gunship.
Rationale: In Conquest mode, jets have been able to single-strafe a gunship and destroy it. This re-balance will require more skill from pilots to take it down.

• The delay before moving the gunship forward to a new base in Rush mode has been increased from 15 to 30 seconds.
Rationale: Previously, the gunship was moved to the next base so quickly that it was possible to parachute from it into the base before defenders were able to prepare. This tweak will give defenders time to fall back and protect the valuable M-COM stations as intended.

• The Delay between gunship spawns has been increased from 90 to 120 seconds in Rush mode.
Rationale: After destroying the gunship in Rush mode, it reappeared too quickly to be well-balanced. With a 50% increase in spawn time for the gunship, defenders will now have more time to focus on the crates and less of a constant overhanging threat from the gunship.

• Initial delay before the gunship spawns in Rush mode has been increased from 15 to 60 seconds.
Rationale: Before this update, the gunship gunners could find the enemy before the round and instakill them when the pre-round timer ran out. Now, it will take a full minute before the gunship will spawn, giving defenders ample time to prepare.

Other changes in the server update
• Fixed a bug where a new squad leader wasn’t chosen when the current squad leader left.

• Fixed so that MK1A3 uses flechette rounds instead of frag rounds in Gun Master mode for Premium members (non-Premiums already have flechette rounds).

• Fixed a bug with Squad Rush on Sharqi Peninsula where the user was spawned outside the combat area if they deployed shortly after the first M-COM was destroyed.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Gunship delay and re spawn time might help balance rush, but I think the defenders should have it.

I suppose i'm getting a bict sick of battlefield not working at peak times for me. I'm going to change my router back (again) today and see if the rush game works better
After I left Killzone last night, tried to get into a Battlefield game and was getting the same old laggy lock up problems. Ended up watching Love Actually on the telly.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Acegadgets said:
The Gunship delay and re spawn time might help balance rush, but I think the defenders should have it.

I suppose i'm getting a bict sick of battlefield not working at peak times for me. I'm going to change my router back (again) today and see if the rush game works better
After I left Killzone last night, tried to get into a Battlefield game and was getting the same old laggy lock up problems. Ended up watching Love Actually on the telly.
Good choice, Love Actually is a very good film :)

Good to see that they have made these changes to rush. That gunship was a right PITA.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Wait the Gunship is harder to take down :-\ is that a better or a worse

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Wow, that's almost all my complaints fixed! :o

As for the gunship JK, switch to Rocket Pods :D