The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Thu 1 Nov 8.30pm - Battlefield 3 Thursday

Discussion in 'Events' started by Martok, 26 Oct 2012.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Another regular Thursday on Battlefield 3.

Last week we ended up playing standard+Karkand maps, so this week we will be playing a mix of standard+Karkand+Armored Kill maps.

2. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Me me pick me, I wanna play, can I come, me.

Erm, i'll try to make it.

3. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Oh a bit of AK? Don't mind if I do. What we gonna do chuck AK in once every 3 maps?

4. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Sounds like a plan. The current AK set-up is having them every other map which is probably a bit too much?

5. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Wont that make it a bit awkward for those that dont have the AK maps? Would have thought it better to group the AK stuff together.

6. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    As all of our sessions in recent weeks have been for anyone to join i.e. no DLC maps, this next one is specifically for those with AK maps to finally give them the change to play them. Previously when we've had a DLC evening those who haven't got it tend not to play as you end up being booted by the server when a DLC map appears. Spreading the maps throughout like this gives a nice mix of maps rather than lumping them all together, plus it means any who own AK and aren't able to make the start of the session won't miss all of the AK maps. It's difficult to lump them somewhere in the middle of the rotation as we don't know how long each map will last (depends on numbers in the server and how well each team plays) - we could end up with non-DLC players being auto kicked after an hour when it hits an AK map or it could be after 2.5 hours, by which time some folk who may want to play AK may be calling it a night.

So mick, if you want to play on Thursday and can guarantee that you'll be there from the start then fair enough, we'll switch to standard+Karkand maps. Otherwise we'll play the rotation suggested with AK maps in and return to standard+Karkand maps the following Thursday.

7. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Ah OK, was just mentioning it, I dont know how many have/havent got the AK maps. Also didn't realise what had been done the last few weeks.

Slap on the wrist for me, :D

8. DrewePeacock

DrewePeacock May contain sarcasm
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    DrewePeacock
    I'll probably be there, stabbing people in the back. #stabby****er

9. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I'll be there handing out dogtags on a regular basis. :?

Edit : also my brain is a bit addled from thus cold and I realise I've already signed up for this.

10. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    OK so that was a bit of a write off, serious issues with PSN the whole night.

We did however manage to get a squad on so we jumped into a game of squad rush where the opposition played very well and we really struggled to complete the objectives, I think we must have nearly came out evens on the win/loss ratio in the end though with some very hard fought battles and some pretty good games.

Then we went onto AK Conquest to "get some points" which was awful for me, got less points there than the squad rush games, struggled to get kills, repeatedly had random "bad luck" deaths and generally had no fun...I think perhaps it's because i'm still trying to unlock things from AK and if I just played the game i'd have more fun.

I did have a really lucky pass under a bridge in my Jet that I wish i'd been recording, I was basically in a dogfight struggling to keep on the tail of an enemy jet who was nimbly flying under the big part of the bridge (the bridge over the river at the edge of the map, not the one in the middle) on the nighttime map in AK. It's got very large arches underneath but also has some very small arches as it goes up the hill. Anyway I was too busy concentrating on following the jet that I failed to realise just how close I was to the edge of the big archway and completely accidentally flew through the smaller gap, I only realised at the very last second what was going on and did the obligatory breathing in to make myself thinner...and it worked! Total fluke and doubt I could fly through there again in a jet at that speed, especially in a fully banked turn.

And lets not mention Halo and her back door loving :shh:

11. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I very much enjoyed the Squad Rush games last night. Some utterly great but explicitly hard rounds. The best one being the one Col mentioned above where Martok n DreweP pushed from the front, I smoked the objective then dived down by the plant pot swiftly followed by Col via the backdoor. :shock: Moments later we were all in a bundle, shooting off everywhere until finally with a whooping sigh our ordacious orgy pulled a win out of the bag. :errno:

Moving onto to Armoured Kill to "get more points" just proved exactly how poor the AK expansion is with the consoles limited numbers and nigh a kill to be had or a point to be scored without having to walk/drive/fly for 30 minutes to reach the next objective. I think we can safely say AK will not make it into the standard rotation as it just doesn't deliver the goods. Fingers crossed aftermath is better.

EDIT : Forgot to mention. The PSN issues caused us no end of trouble especially with the slow loading of the player profile which you use if you want to join another player during the intermission which was made impossible due to the time it took to load. :?

EDIT EDIT: I also shot a jet out the sky with a normal tank round! :wtf: It was beautiful and that'll teach them for flying low avoiding radar locks. :thumbup:

12. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    It's probably worth shoving an AK map or two on as TDM, i'm sure that would be a restricted enough area to give a good game, again it would be a far slower pace than some of the tighter maps I would imagine, but worth a try even if it's just to get some use out of the maps.

Edit * and yes coming in the back door with Halo and all that gas blocking my view was great fun, especially once Droopy and Martok joined the party.

13. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Thought you would have had issues last night but looks like you were still able to get on. There's still a connection issue for some people :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice