• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Multi Thrustmaster T300RS First Impressions

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

Ok, so I've had a chance to give the new T300RS a bit of a shake-down test and here are my impressions so far:

Having had a range of wheels through my hands over the years Thrustmaster's brand new T300RS is the latest and has come into my possession due to all my other wheels not being supported by the PS4. Prior to this I have been running a lightly modded Logitech G27 on both PS3 and PC.

To me, the T300RS is a bit of a mongrel, a high end wheel paired, as standard, with a set of lack-lustre pedals. The wheel itself is definitely a great bit of kit - it's belt driven, so nice and quiet, combined with a brushless motor which gives strong and responsive feedback. Also, I've been particularly impressed with the quality of the shift paddles, they are really crisp and positive compared to those on the Logitech G25 & G27. That goes for all the buttons and controls on the wheel, they all live up to the feel and build quality we have come to expect from Thrustmaster. It is a shame the wheel rim is finished in plastic as opposed to alcantara or similar but it does still feel nice in the hand and is not slippy. Being PS4 compatible, all the buttons from the DS4 are present with the exception of the touchpad which means you can set up and load your games without having to reach for the Dualshock.

I've used the wheel in Driveclub on PS4 and GT6 on PS3 and as long as you remember to switch mode on the wheel before connecting up there are no compatibility issues. Driveclub is actually quite good with a wheel, providing more feedback than I expected from a rather arcade sim. In GT6 though there is definately more going on with the wheel chattering constantly helping you to asses grip levels and traction.Weight is good without having to max out in the settings, though I do run Feedback Sensitivity at it's maximum.

So far, so good then. At least on par with the G27, that is until you look at the pedals. As alluded to earlier, they are decidedly basic alongside such a quality wheel. Firstly, there's only two of them, though few make use of a clutch so not a disaster perhaps. What worries me more is the build quality. Being a bloke I had to open them up and have a look (mainly with a view to modding the brake pedal to provide more/progressive feel) but once inside I was not impressed. These pedals have been build very much to a cost and I worry a little about how well they would put up with regular heavy use. There is next to no metal used in their construction and the thickness of the casing in places is definitely borderline to handle the potential stresses involved in their use. This need not be a problem for the more serious/deep pocketed gamer as the whole Thrustmaster range of accessories available are compatible with this wheel including T500 pedalsets and the new T3PA pedals though you will be forking out another £90 on top of the initial £300 that the wheel is available for if you shop around.

So, in conclusion, you get a fantastic wheel bundled with entry level pedals for your £300 starting point but you are then able to upgrade the whole system over time should you wish, from pedals with adjustable pressure through alternative rims including a replica Ferrari design and one of the best H pattern gear shifters on the market which is basically a good thing in my book. It's just a shame you can't (yet) buy the wheel on its own and choose the pedals you want from the start. For many casual racers, the standard pedals will be fine (they are better than some of the lower spec Logitech offerings), they just clearly don't match up to the quality of the wheel itself.

Wheel 4/5
Pedals 2.5/5

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think the price of wheels is a piss take. I have bought cars with a year mot and tax for 300 quid (and yes it did last a year)

I personally don't like the force feedback either, I like the extra "weight" it gives to the wheel but as for trying to simulate anything. Well for me it don't work.

Nice review though @ChrissPeacock

PNMotorsportUK

Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I never really used my wheel and pedals (Driving Force Pro GT). I rather spend £300 on a Xbox One, least with two Forzas already its starting to get a bit tempting.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
F&^&*"^&*^"&*^ Me . HOW MUCH. ?
I'll be living in the past and playing new racing games with my driving force wheel and pedals on the PC until such a time that these things are going for fifty quid used on eBay.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If anyone has a Logitech G25 or G27 and is considering buying a Thrustmaster wheel you can now get an in-line adaptor to use Logitech pedals with the Thrustmaster T series wheels http://www.ricmotech.com/product_p/rmt-t500w2g27p.htm which also works with any mods made to the pedal set - even load cell conversions (Ricmotech also sell a load cell conversion for Logitech pedals)

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Update

I have now bought the adaptor above and am running my modded G27 pedals with the T300rs wheel - it all works flawlessly and is a big improvement over the standard pedals.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Been so tempted but simply don't have the cash.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Update

I have now bought the adaptor above and am running my modded G27 pedals with the T300rs wheel - it all works flawlessly and is a big improvement over the standard pedals.
I got one of those T80 wheels (about £70) while it isnt bad at all, especially for casual gaming, I still seem to be faster with the controller.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I got one of those T80 wheels (about £70) while it isnt bad at all, especially for casual gaming, I still seem to be faster with the controller.
I've taken up your club challenge. I WILL not beat it!

Bad Robot

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I bought the T80 too @mick but I found it to be better than the controller, just matter of practice and a good seat makes a big difference :roll:

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I bought the T80 too @mick but I found it to be better than the controller, just matter of practice and a good seat makes a big difference :roll:
I just can't be bothered to dig it out everytime and have only used it 2 or 3 times. I keep saying I will use it more to get use to it but always end up using the controller.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just picked up a T80 as well.

Argos have dropped the price of the T300 to £269.99 but it is still a couple of hundred quid than I can justify at present!

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ooft. Bit tricky, innit?
Keep spinning in wet weather & totally not braking!
Is nice for the slight corners though.
Also noticed I'm drifting less & easing off acceleration more though.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ooft. Bit tricky, innit?
Keep spinning in wet weather & totally not braking!
Is nice for the slight corners though.
Also noticed I'm drifting less & easing off acceleration more though.
Problem I tend to have with using the controller is I'm very thumb heavy, it's full lock/brake/power.... Analogue controls are wasted on me lol.
I found the wheel to be most helpful on the slight bends also, I just need to use it more to get used to the throttle and brake.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Problem I tend to have with using the controller is I'm very thumb heavy, it's full lock/brake/power.... Analogue controls are wasted on me lol.
I found the wheel to be most helpful on the slight bends also, I just need to use it more to get used to the throttle and brake.
Aye re analogue.
And aye re throttle & brake.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hey Zooby, if you get time can you try the T80 out on the PS3 please? If it works okay on the likes of GT5/6 might sell my Logitech GT Wheel and get one.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ps Argos £60 just now.