• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is coming to PS4

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A unique adventure from the minds behind Bulletstorm

Hi! We are The Astronauts, an eight-person team founded by the guys who, years ago, also founded People Can Fly, creators of Painkiller, Bulletstorm and Gears of War: Judgment. However, the game we are making right now could not be more different from what we’ve made in the past.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a story-driven mystery game that focuses entirely on exploration and discovery, featuring no combat or explosions of any kind. If our game leaves any scars, you won’t be able to see them.

You play the game as Paul Prospero, an occult-minded detective who receives a disturbing letter from Ethan Carter. Realizing the boy is in grave danger, Paul arrives at Ethan’s home of Red Creek Valley, where things turn out to be even worse than he imagined. Ethan has vanished in the wake of a brutal murder, which Paul quickly discerns might not be the only murder to investigate.

As I hope you can see from this short description, we’re trying to mix pulp and horror into one cohesive experience. And if that makes you suspect we’re making this game inspired by the weird fiction stories and other tales of the macabre from the early 20th century, then you’re on the right track. Writers like Algernon Blackwood, Stefan Grabinski, and, of course, the CEO of Cthulhu himself, H.P. Lovecraft have heavily influenced every layer of our narrative and world design.

The game is played through first-person perspective whereby you explore and interact with the world in order to discover the truth behind Ethan’s disappearance. You conduct the investigation on your own terms and at your own pace. Although we did put a few scary bits in the game, there is no need for sedatives. It’s less about pure terror and more about, as our writers put it, “clammy unease”.

While it features a private detective and quite a few mental challenges, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is not a puzzle-ridden game. Our focus is on atmosphere, mood, and the essential humanity of our characters. It’s a game that tries to offer immersive storytelling — an escapist experience of discovering the secrets within another world.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is something we wanted to make for a very, very long time. It is our love letter to video games as powerful storytelling devices. Devices that use interactivity to offer something no other medium can offer: a sense of presence, immersion, and engagement – all in one place.

You can find more info on the game and the philosophy and technology behind it on our blog.

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a story-driven mystery game that focuses entirely on exploration and discovery, featuring no combat or explosions of any kind. If our game leaves any scars, you won’t be able to see them.
Sounds like a similar approach as seen in games such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This is one of the few games from this Gamescon thing that has piqued my interest

Pafkes

Wait for it
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This one looks really nice.

Bloodfairy

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I too like the look of this, though if I play it at night I'll probably get nightmares :/

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Be nice to play a game where I don't have to kill something. Most of my games involve enviscerating some thing or other. I think BF4 and COD have set the shooter bar too high now, as any FPS would be hard pressed to come up with a decent offering. The good side of this means less FPS and more originality like this.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I finally sat down at the weekend and played this on the PC, it's a very atmospheric game and the music sets the scene beautifully. I could see this making a perfect title for the Rift/Morpheus.

I may need to start this again though as I went walkies through the environment instead of trying to solve any of the riddles, which can be solved in any order thankfully.

amymoggy

Semi-Regular Gamer
Reaction score
Me too!! :(

Defo seems nightmare inducing!