1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS4 The PS4

Discussion in 'PlayStation Hardware & Other Games' started by Slaine, 21 Jul 2012.

?
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Wait and see what the take up is like

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    It seems highly likely that the PS4 (and Xbox 720) will be released at the end of next year. The net is abound with these rumours anyway, but it occurred to me that there a lot of developers out there with nothing on the release schedule at all. It might be they have some yet to be announced project, or it could be that theyre working on a PS4 release title. Remember most good games take about 2+ years to make, so it would explain why both consoles seem to be a bit starved of releases these days, especially when you compare to the previous years release schedules. Honestly, I just couldnt keep up with all the new games, and I had to make some harsh decisions on where my money went, and even then some of them are sitting right now on my shelf of shame. But these days it seems a bit light.

Anyways, the YLOD and Sonys lacklustre customers service and total and utter failure to acknowledge that they sold goods that would expire within a couple years means that some of you may not be too keen to buy the new console. In fact, experience shows that if you wait a while not only does the price drop, but you end up with a slim model that usually runs a lot better than the initial model. When I got the YLOD I called up Sony and spoke to this bloke who was really pig-headed and arrogant in his reply. He stuck to the mantra that a couple of years life was worthy of the price tag. He did initially try to blame me for breaking the PS3 (not keeping the vents clean, obstructing the vents, using it on a carpet etc etc), but I shot down all his arguments and he could tell I didnt appreciate his lack of empathy. It was only because I had a number of PS3 games that I sucked it up and bought another console in the end, but I was pissed off. I know the 360 fixed the RROD for free, but I had that bugger twice and being without your console for the best part of a month wasnt good news.

The flip side of it is that some of us are more accepting that electricals do go tits up. Never good, but we either try to fix it ourselves or buy another replacement. The PS3 is a media hub, a blu-ray player and of course a games console, so who could bear to be without it now.

I was just curious as to what peoples intentions are. I know when its finally released, depending on the hype and take up here, your initial decision may change, but click away and see where we all stand at the mo.

Im firmly in the camp of waiting at least 6 months for a price drop or a slim model. I dont want a RROD or a YLOD this time round. I also want to see what happens with backwards capability too, which will affect my decision.

2. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    If they bring out some exclusive big games like Battlefield 5 , Dirt 5 , Naughty bear 2 etc "Available only on PS4 " Then I would get one pretty much straight away.

3. shadstah

shadstah Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shadstah
    For PS4 I think you can pretty much put money on a few release titles being: Gran Turismo 6, Uncharted 4/5, LBP 3, possibly a KZ4/5 too name but a few. Regardless though I will be buying it on release day.

I can't see there being any new tech on the PS4 but I think it will come with new features that have/had been promised on the PS3: cross game chat and a decent working browser. I can possibly see Sony making there own operating system for the PS4, would make sense if they plan on adding the new features I mentioned previously.

But most probably I'm way off the mark but we shall see :)

4. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    If the games are anything like the vita I will be getting one well after launch, there is many titles on vita :(

5. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    As with every other Playstation barring the vita i'll have one on launch day.

Likely as not get the new eggbox on launch day too.

6. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    The first console I bought on launch day was the PS3 and it was stolen after the fat model was discontinued! I take that as an omen ;-

I'm not interested in a launch machine per se. It will be all about the games for me. Basically too early to comment.

The only thing I would add Slaine is that neither Sony or Microsoft have covered themselves in glory with dead machines. Nonetheless I feel its a bit harsh on Sony as Microsoft refused to admit there was a problem with 360 for a long time. Some people had to pay whereas others didn't. Until Microsoft was forced into their guarantee.

Consoles are no longer simple devices. I can't see either PS3 or 360 working in 20 years time. Unlike my megadrive :D

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    And thats my point!! :lol: My PS2 still works, but its a replacement given by Sony as the other one packed up in under a year :roll:

8. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    I got my Fat PS3 replaced for free by Gamestation when it was three years old, I stuck to my gun and quoted the sale of goods act at them.

I agree with dogstar about both the sony and MS being slow to accept that there was a problem with their machines, MS were in my opinion much worse with their customer service, denying for an age that there was even a problem and it taking huge bad publicity for them to grudgingly do something about it. However sony have hardly done much either, they charged people for replacement machines which should have been free. Hardly bodes well for the next gen.

Whether I get one at launch will depend a lot on whether I have the money, my job being insecure at the moment. It also depends on what the manufacturers do regarding their respective platforms, is online gaming going to be free for example, will I have to pay extra for essential accessories like cables etc and of course the price of games.

My opinion at the moment is that I am tired of the DLC treadmill, buy the game than fork out for extra to keep up with the multiplayer. I am cynical about the way games are being taken out of bricks and mortar shop and only being online and what this will mean for game prices and trade ins, the network passes and other stuff annoys and exasperates me. I have yet to see a credible advantage of the next generation and I have tons of stuff on this generation I have yet to play so maybe I will see how things pan out next gen before I dip my toe in the water, if at all.

9. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    If we do get one of the new systems at lauch it'll likely only be one. We'll be taking a good hard look on what is on offer. I know that we'd both prefer a subscription free gaming model which is what has kept us from the eggbox. I think overall it comes down to Sony's willingness to compete rather than rely on the brand.

10. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Lol.

I suppose i've not been hit bad with broken consoles, I think i've used a 360 for maybe a solid 4 months of gaming, in which time I had 2 of them break. I've had a solid however many months of gaming since launch on the PS4 with one machine fail.

My launch PS3 was replaced free of charge, and upgraded to the slightly newer model (with less USB ports) due to lack of stock.

My first 360 broke within a few days of getting it so got replaced at the shop, the next one got the 'hug' treatment (overheat the thing wrapped in a towel to melt the solder back together) a few times before I eventually flogged it on ebay.

I did feel that I was missing out though when everyone had hi-res Burnout Revenge and Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on 360 and I had a PS2.

This time, largely due to my financial situation being fairly sturdy i'll likely get both machines on launch, or I might hang fire with the xbox and pick one up later, but I certainly don't feel the same way towards Sony now compared to what I did I the beginning of this generation of consoles, all loyalty is gone and i'll go where the gaming is.

11. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I've had several 360's the first rrod and I bought a second and sold my first as parts on fleebay. Then when my second one died it was 1 week out of there 12 month warranty. Sold for spares and get another they then extended the warranty :( the next two I bought were second hand and broke within months of getting them my last one I got was a brand new arcade and I just put my elite case and hdd in.

I got my ps3 when GTA4 was released April 2008 hardly used it at first with me being a 360 fan boy. Once when my 360 broke (another rrod I fixed myself) I started playing ps3 and got hooked and I have never looked back. I soon joined the oaps and the rest you all know. Let's hope both companies fully stress test both machines to stop ylod and rrod from occurring again.

My current ps3 is now showing its age and crashing daily I can only assume it is going to die soon :(

Was planning on getting a slim and 1tb hdd but not sure if I should just wait.

12. wilskywalker

wilskywalker Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    wilskywalker
    Day one for me...and midnight release if its on offer!! My PlayStation History...

PSX - Bought the day Metal Gear Solid was released.
    PS2 - Release day.
    PS3 - Release day.
    PSP - Release day.
    PSVita - Release day.

...and so it shall continue! :bow:

Oh yes and the other ones...

PSOne - Bought on a whim for no other reason than it looked cool!
    PS2 Slim - PS2 disc read errors meant this was a no brainer.
    PS3 Slim - YLOD was the reason for my move to a slim.
    2nd PSP Phat - Erm...not sure really!
    PSP Slim + Lite (Black) - Again, it was cool.
    PSP Slim + Lite (White) - Erm, used to like white products for some reason...I now avoid them like the plague!

So there you have it, my PlayStation history...and I owe it all to a little game called MGS! :thumbup: