XBOne The price of next gen games

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Amazon have put up the pre-order prices of the games now, set at a wopping £89.99.

I know I know its only a placeholder, the price in all likelihood will go down. But by how much? I remember when the 360 and PS3 were available for pre-order, and the games were pencilled in at £49.99. From what Ive read here, we're all pretty much in agreement that the price of the next gen games will be higher than current gen, but I think we were all expecting may be £49.99 as an initial early adopter price.

Hopefully nothing more than a storm in a teacup, but with the consoles coming in at £600, and the 2nd hand market/game sharing side no longer being economically viable, you've got to be a little worried on how expensive our hobby is about to become.

Oh well, time to dust off the Hornby trainsets or take up philately.:cry:

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I dont think they will end up nearly this high, as I keep saying, publishers need to sell the games they produce, whatever they set the price at has to be affordable or else they will be left with loads of unsold copies and egg on their faces. I suspect no more than £50, any more than that and I think they have pushed the price beyond what i think the consumer will accept, I am talking about £50 at the shop counter, I know publishers have been putting PS3 games at £49.99 on PSN, but they tend to retail at about £35-40. They do have to keep pace with the PC market, I know console games are generally more expensive, but they cant be so out of touch with the PC that they drive people away from the consoles. Once numbers of next gen gamers reach critical mass the prices will fall just as they do now.

TalllPaul

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hope they don't get to much more expensive or I will end up having to pay 100€ or more just for a game, get a digital camera for that lol

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I used to be a games retailer in the 80s and 90s and games on cartridge used to cost more then than games do today. We used to sell megadrive games at £39.99 and £44.99 . S Nes games were even more, Most were £39.99 to start with but nintendo kept putting them up, until most were £49.99 . They even briought a £59.99 game out which was Streetfighter , and it still sold well at that price.
20 years ago people wages were 55% what they are now and they didn't really complain at the stupidly priced games. That equates to our £40 games being sold for £75 in those days.
I think Microsoft are trying to do the same and will try to charge more, however I cant see it working as PC games are unlikely to go up in price and people will in general stick with thier old consoles or buy a more user friendly gaming PCs such as the steambox.