PS4 The Order: 1886

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Order: 1886 introduces players to a unique vision of Victorian-Era London where Man uses advanced technology to battle a powerful and ancient foe. As a member of an elite order of knights, join a centuries-old war that will determine the course of history forever.

Looks rather good!​

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Order 1886 'will be single-player only'
PS4 exclusive won't feature multiplayer, developer confirms

Upcoming PS4 exclusive The Order 1886 will not feature an online multiplayer mode.

The news was confirmed on Twitter by Andrea Pessino, co-founder of the game's developer Ready At Dawn.

Asked by a follower if the game would feature competitive multiplayer,Pessino stated: "No multiplayer. It is a single player, third person action adventure game."

When another follower complained that this may lead to them paying $60 for a 6-10 hour game, Pessino replied: "Better to do one thing well than a whole bunch half-assed. We are trying to make a single-player experience you will enjoy. If we are going to succeed or not will be up to you to decide."

Revealed at E3 last June, The Order: 1886 is a brand new IP for PS4. The game is set in an alternate history that mixes Victorian-Era London with (relatively) modern technologies and mythological monsters.

It allows players to "discover a unique version of Victorian-Era London where technology and the supernatural collide".

"Players will wield advanced weapons and gadgets that didn't exist during that era and the realism of the game experience will make you feel like these elements could have been very plausible during the time."

Real world historical characters and scenarios are recreated and then spun with a new twist.

Ready At Dawn Studios was responsible for God Of War: Chains Of Olympus and God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta on PSP.

Source: CVG

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have this one on my Amazon wishlist. Looks quite promising.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This does look like one of the few games on the horizon that has peaked my curiosity

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New The Order: 1886 trailer unveiled
Plus, Ready at Dawn discusses its vision of neo-Victorian London

In The Order: 1886, we present our neo Victorian London; an alternate version of history centred around an age old war, where mystery and technological advances take centre stage. This conflict pitted mankind against half-breeds in a battle for survival and has been fought over centuries. This became the catalyst for the noblest warriors of their time to come together in an alliance, to form an Order who bravely battled to hold the line for hundreds of years.

Through the centuries, their vigil has kept humanity safe and the war at bay while The Order’s members remained hidden behind history and legend. But everything changes with the advent of the Industrial Revolution. The tide of war shifts as the Knights finally bring the battle to the half-breeds with the help of new weaponry.

A glimpse of the Thermite Rifle, a key weapon in the Order’s arsenal

But with progress comes civil unrest and rebellion, by the very people they have sworn to protect. Oppressed by what they perceive to be a dictatorship, the Rebellion rises out of the streets of Whitechapel and quickly prove themselves a dangerous foe, taking up arms against the Monarchy and The Order.

Concept art of Rebels

The Order now lives in a world where they must face and fight their fellow man while protecting their kind from the half-breeds. In The Order: 1886, you will be confronted by a diverse group of adversaries and use your weaponry against different factions.

We recently shared a first look at gameplay with journalists that illustrates the rebel uprising. That coverage is hitting websites and blogs today so be sure to check it out. Everyone here at Ready At Dawn is hard at work on the game – it’s been great to see all the excitement and we promise to share more soon!

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
10 things you need to know about The Order: 1886
Ready at Dawn’s extraordinary PS4 action epic will blow your socks off. Here’s how…

Did you catch the brand new trailer for The Order: 1886 last week? Perhaps you read some of the new press coverage around the first full gameplay reveal? Well, in case you missed anything, we’ve picked out a few things you might not have picked up on…

1. Melee combat as you’ve never seen it before

Gunplay will obviously form a key component of The Order 1886′s gameplay, but close-combat melee encounters are every bit as integral to the experience. Developer Ready At Dawn is taking a fresh approach here, incorporating split second decision paths allowing fights to play out in a number of different ways. In the clip above Galahad goes for a knife, but it’s not the only way to tackle the situation…

“For melee, we’re leveraging some of the things we’ve learned in the past, even from the platformer days. We want to supplement ranged combat with something that players don’t expect. You’ll see more melee modes that will give you some complex options,” hints Creative Director Ru Weerasuriya.

2. High-concept weaponry that’s grounded in real science

While the weaponry at your disposal in The Order 1886 might seem out-of-this-world, every single design in the game is based on bona fide Victorian technology.

“The more you get to see of the weapons, you’ll realise that they’re actually not that outlandish or futuristic. They feel grounded,” Ru says. “We don’t twist the actual technology itself – what we twist is its use.”

3. A different take on cover combat

At its core The Order: 1886 is a third person action game, complete with cover shooting mechanics. While you might think you’ve seen these before, Ready At Dawn is putting its own twist on convention.

“Yes, there is cover as you might have seen in other games, but we’ve added traversal modes,” says Ru. “You’ll go seamlessly from ‘full cover’ into ‘soft cover’ as you move away from an object. Imagine you’re in cover, you’re shooting at something and you want to pop out. You don’t just stick your head up, right? You’d still stay low. So we’ve tried to build a bit more reality into the cover system.”

4. The Order don’t mess about

Expect combat to be brutal…

5. Gadgets are important as guns

Alongside an arsenal of weaponry that offers a huge array of combat options, you’ll also have a number of gadgets at your disposal. Here, Galahad is surveying Victorian London with a monocular in search of a fire fight.

“The Monocular was built for multipurpose use,” explains Ru. “We haven’t talked about all the different modes of gameplay in which it will be implemented, but what we showed in the latest demo is it being used as a looking glass, and to send Morse code. You can flash a signal to the airship to give your location.

“We have a lot of other devices like this that we’re trying to implement. Of course, there are always more ideas than we can fit into the game, so it’s a question of which ones will stick…”

6. You’ll use the Dualshock 4 in some unexpected ways…

As mentioned above, one sequence sees you using the DualShock 4′s touch pad to tap out a Morse code message to a nearby airship. Will there be other creative uses of the new controller?

“We’ve worked with the controller to test all the different things we could do with it,” says Ru. “The issue is that the more complex and involved controller inputs get, the more it removes you from the immersive core experience. We don’t want to use it too much; we’re only using it for actions that feel natural. Tapping out Morse code just worked so well.”

7. Atmosphere you can cut with a knife

Ready At Dawn’s extraordinary tech plays its part, helping to sell the rich cityscape with fully interactive environments and advanced lighting tech. Look how the torchlight flickers against Galahad’s face as he passes. Impressive, no?

8. These are characters you can believe in

As hinted at in the trailer released earlier this month, Ready At Dawn is creating a truly ‘filmic’ experience, both in terms of how the game looks and the story it tells. The game’s four primary protagonists are nuanced individuals, with different roles to play in the twisting, layered narrative.

“The four characters have very different story lines – their past, how long they’ve been around, what they’ve done, who they’ve fought,” Ru explains.

“Mallory is the squad leader in many ways; Galahad is someone who’s been involved in the conflict for a long time; Igraine – she’s younger but still confident’ and Lafayette is the rookie of the squad. He’s the one who jokes around. He’s a little jovial, happy-go-lucky, doesn’t worry about too much. It’s a nice balance between the four characters.”

9. This is London like you’ve never seen it before

Ready At Dawn’s “neo-Victorian” vision of the British capital offers a universe unlike anything you’ve experience in a videogame. Dark, dank, dirty and dripping with atmosphere, it’s a refreshingly different setting, and one that boasts huge potential for both edge-of-your-seat suspense and widescreen action set-pieces.

10. My oh my, it’s beautiful

Enough talk, just look at it…

Want to see more? Check out the video below to see new footage of the game in action.

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This looks rather good. I might have to get it for PS3, I don't think this game warrants me buying a PS4 just yet.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This looks rather good. I might have to get it for PS3, I don't think this game warrants me buying a PS4 just yet.
This is a PS4 exclusive title, so you'll have to get one if you want to play it.

pede2010

I'm easy!!!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This is a PS4 exclusive title, so you'll have to get one if you want to play it.
Well that's rather pants. Damn you exclusive PS4 titles :evil:

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really hope this lives up to the hype - could be a deal breaker for me!

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Wasn't too fussed until that little trailer.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Must admit, this game is starting to look pretty good. Its like Gears Of War had a child with Dishonoured

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Meh, it looks very pretty but I am concerned it looks like stuff we have seen before, a dash of uncharted, a bit of Bioshock Infinite, a smidgen of assassins creed. I shall look forward in the hope that it surprises more than it has so far.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New The Order: 1886 video – Behind the scenes with Ready At Dawn
Find out how the studio is crafting a unique, vibrant universe for its PS4 epic

1886 is a time of strife in our alternate version of Victorian Era London. Life for the commoners may seem monotonous with people, both rich and poor, going about their daily business. All the while, a threat to their very existence continues to lurk in the dark, a threat that the Knights of the Order have kept at bay for centuries.

In the days of King Arthur, mankind is on the losing side of a war for dominion and supremacy against the Half-Breeds. The King assembles a group of noble men to stand in defense of their brethren and thus, the Knights of the Round Table are born.

The Knights, now known only as The Order, endure through the centuries bringing the war to a status quo. With the Industrial Revolution, technology gives them the upper hand and a time of uncomfortable peace settles in the Kingdom and the Commonwealth, our version of Pax Britannia. But this peace brings on a new opponent. The very people The Order had sworn to protect take up arms, as the Rebellion is formed in the streets of London. This new battle ravages the street of 1886 London, as both rebels and Knights fight each other to the death.

Our latest gameplay footage shows the Knights taking on their opponents in the downtrodden district of Whitechapel. Armed with a Thermite rifle, Galahad is able to attack enemies hidden behind cover, while Isabeau’s Arc Gun proves itself an equally deadly weapon.

Beyond technology, the Knights have relied on one element they have used for centuries: the Blackwater. While in combat, they are able to use it to heal from otherwise deadly wounds. With centuries of use, the Blackwater has imbued the Knights with an inhuman longevity as well as mental and physical abilities they can use in combat, a state they call Blacksight. Using Blacksight, Galahad enters into a heightened state allowing him to focus his skills and execute precise attacks.

As we look to bring this experience to the players, we have decided to spend some extra time to deliver on the promise we made when we first introduced the game. As such, you can expect The Order: 1886 to come exclusively to the PlayStation 4 in early 2015.

With E3 approaching, we are releasing a behind-the-scenes video showing some of the inspiration behind the creation of The Order: 1886. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to showing you more in the weeks to come. See you at E3!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New The Order: 1886 video – Introducing the Lycans
Go behind the scenes at Ready At Dawn to learn more about the game’s antagonists

It’s been an amazing E3. From the PlayStation Press Conference to the days that followed, we had a series of reveals that shed more light onto our game. We went into E3 with two demos that illustrated different aspects of the game; the battle in the streets of Whitechapel and the Lycan reveal in the London Hospital.

It was great to see players finally get their hands on the demo and accustom themselves with one of our signature weapons, the Thermite Rifle. We also debuted Blacksight, a gameplay mechanic based on the Knight’s use of Blackwater, and saw many players make good use of it against the Rebels.

Now, with the show behind us, we are diving back into development. Thanks to everyone who came by our booth and everyone else who sent us feedback. We really appreciate it.

Without further ado, we would like to introduce the second video in our behind-the-scenes series, entitled “The Evolution of the Half-Breeds”. It will give you some insight into the work we did to create the Lycans and show you some of our early work as well as the final design of our main antagonists. I hope you enjoy it.

Until next time…

Bloodfairy

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ooooo that looks pretty wizz bang, I think that's going on the list of games to get.....Oh @Sportsvee...

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New The Order: 1886 video focuses on weapons and combat
Go behind the scenes at developer Ready At Dawn as it shares its secrets

We are extremely honoured to be part of TGS 2014. We’ve been humbled by the feedback we’ve received from all the Japanese fans and are excited to be here to reveal the next video in our Behind-The-Scenes series.

With a growing number of weapons manufacturers around the world and Nikola Tesla as their chief scientist, the Knights of the Order have a vast array of armament at their disposal. The inclusion of Tesla into the game allowed us to ground many of the technological advancement we wanted to add to our history in reality. We used weapons based on existing technology in the Victorian era but also created others that stretched the realm of what was possible at the time.

Because our Industrial Revolution is a result of the war between humans and half-breeds, many of the inventions of our timeline are primarily focused on ways to aid in this fight. Guns such as the Carbine, the Coach Gun or the Maschinenpistole are common occurrence in the game and represent the technology of the era. Others based on electricity – such as the Arc Gun – or based on alternate ammunition – such as the Aluminum Iron Oxide of the Thermite Rifle – provide a way for us to use real technologies and materials of the times, while building weapons that did not exist.

Whether real or invented, we always made sure that every weapon we designed followed specific guidelines regarding their assembly, their material use and their craftsmanship. They needed to feel grounded in the real world of the late 1800s. The end goal behind fusing all these weapons into the game was to provide diversity in combat and a fun-factor for the player by showcasing their advantages in different combat scenarios.

Some of these weapons were even purposely designed to feel somewhat dangerous not only to your target but to the user as well. We made sure they retained the feeling that they were still in their prototype stage and being field tested. This also reinforced something that was true of the era as often inventions and innovations would find themselves in use well before they were deemed safe to the public, very much unlike the stringent testing and safety regulations that are required today.

To find out more about the process Ready At Dawn went through to create the weaponry of The Order: 1886, I invite you to watch our latest Behind-The-Scenes video entitled “Tools of the Trade”.

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looks cool! As an old Call of Cthuluh player, this strikes something deep inside me.

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The more I see of this game the more I can't wait to get it :)
It looks like another strong exclusive for playstation.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was all keen to get this until I heard that it was a short single player game, might wait to see if it turns up as a future sale item on the store