• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 The optimal router settings

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@HaloJ asked me at the weekend what it was I exactly did to my router. Anyone who has ever played with me will know that at some point Ive had some troubles playing online on occasion. It does appear now to be a thing of the past, thanks to the ridiculous lengths Ive gone too.

Ive a Belkin router here, so the first thing I did was enable uPnP. Not all routers have this, and all it does is enable a set of network protocols to tell your equipment how to behave. Just nose through your router settings and tick the box to enable this, if it has it. I still had some issues, so I put my PS4 in the DMZ. Again, I still had some issues, so I forwarded the following ports :-

UDP 88, 3074 TCP & UDP, 3960 UDP, 3962 UDP, 3478 TCP & UDP, 3479 TCP & UDP, 3480 TCP, 443 TCP, 80 TCP.

I didnt randomly pick these numbers. The first couple were what the Warframe client told me to be forwarded for it to work properly. The majority of these were what I picked up from the official Playstation forums. Apparently the issue is with the PSN login for most games, and by forwarding all of these you should have no comms or connection issues, outside of whats the norm anyway!!:D

Hope this is what you were looking for Halo, and I hope this has been of some use to anyone, who like me, was getting frustrated with trying to play online.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@HaloJ asked me at the weekend what it was I exactly did to my router. Anyone who has ever played with me will know that at some point Ive had some troubles playing online on occasion. It does appear now to be a thing of the past, thanks to the ridiculous lengths Ive gone too.

Ive a Belkin router here, so the first thing I did was enable uPnP. Not all routers have this, and all it does is enable a set of network protocols to tell your equipment how to behave. Just nose through your router settings and tick the box to enable this, if it has it. I still had some issues, so I put my PS4 in the DMZ. Again, I still had some issues, so I forwarded the following ports :-

UDP 88, 3074 TCP & UDP, 3960 UDP, 3962 UDP, 3478 TCP & UDP, 3479 TCP & UDP, 3480 TCP, 443 TCP, 80 TCP.

I didnt randomly pick these numbers. The first couple were what the Warframe client told me to be forwarded for it to work properly. The majority of these were what I picked up from the official Playstation forums. Apparently the issue is with the PSN login for most games, and by forwarding all of these you should have no comms or connection issues, outside of whats the norm anyway!!:D

Hope this is what you were looking for Halo, and I hope this has been of some use to anyone, who like me, was getting frustrated with trying to play online.
Or you could do what I did and just buy a decent "rooter" (as Halo call them).

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks for that @Slaine, very interesting. DMZ should have solved it as that's supposed to put the unit in front of the routers firewall. Out of those forwarded ports you could probably drop TCP 80 and TCP 443 which are the http and ssh ports.

For reference those settings will only work for single PS4 households. Any more and it'll have to be a router that supports the grumpy version of Sony's uPnP implementation. Although I'm yet to come across a definitive list.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A router is for woodwork. "Rooter" is correct!