The Olympics

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This small event may well be keeping a few of us off the PS3 over the next few weeks.
I thought it was an amazing opening ceremony and made me feel proud to be British. The industrial revolution was epic, Beckham loked cool, Mr Bean was hillarious , the internet inventor section was inspiring and seeing the queen parachute in with 007 was an excellent touch.
I'll be watching bits and pieces of the events, thought it might be an idea to put a few comments about the Olympics on our forum.
(bet the first reply is "Not interested in Olympics")

shadstah

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seriously interested in the Olympics ;)

roger947

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
enjoyed the opening ceremony (well, most of it) and have to admit that i thought the "queen" bit was quite amusing :D

Probably won't watch too many events apart from the swimming and the blue ribbon events like the 100, 200 and 400 metres.

Was disappointed to see that the cyclists got their tactics so terribly wrong yesterday :rofl:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not that Interested, I'm not a sports fan. Might watch something but only if there's nothing else on TV :)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My Humax box has been off pretty much since the Euro finished, I somehow doubt this change that.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well today , I'll be watching the canoeing this afternoon and the football and swimming later on.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
The opening ceremony was brilliant. I'll be watching lots of the Olympics as my girlfriend is a big sports fan. But whenever I get the chance I'll be on PSN.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Did watch the opening ceremony, but thats it. Never been into the Olympics and would feel hypocritical if I watched it now (still unintested) just because its on my doorstep. Truly hope it helps our economy though, it needs a lift.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Im not into sports of any description at all. My house is a football/Wimbledon/Olympics free zone, with loads of gaming :D I guess the following song is appropriate.....

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the opening ceremony and the women's road race this afternoon. I thought rugby 7s was part of this years events so guess I'll watch the rest of the cycling events and then I'm done.

Just a minute, found women's beach volleyball.;)

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Being a keen bicyclist and follower of bicycling :1thumbup: I was really pleased to see
GB bicyclist Lizzie Armitstead win a silver medal in Sunday's women's road race.
Marianne Vos of the Netherlands claimed gold with Russian Olga Zabelinskaya third in a thrilling, rain-soaked race that ended in a sprint finish on The Mall in front of Buckingham Palace.
The trio formed a breakaway group and in a sprint for the line Vos had too much speed and power to win gold.
I personally blame the germans for the dutch win. When they invaded Holland they should have stolen all thier bicycles,
(Cue Spruijt )

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
First gold medal for Holland in the pocket. Nice race by Vos.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Spruijt said:
First gold medal for Holland in the pocket. Nice race by Vos.
you mean only gold medal for Holland surely :eh:

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've watched all the cycling and then a smattering of other sports so far. Very much looking forward to the timetrials and the track cycling later this week.

Mens road race was a shambles but I think they failed due to their reliance on team comms which is unavailable during the Oly's. In some ways the lack of comms makes the sport purer once more though but it would have been nice for the organisers to at least have a good number of "timing bikes" available to at least give some information to the peleton and breaks.

Women's road race was great. Superb amount of action and interesting to see how they react to a break as they all pounce on anyone trying to get away like rabid banshees. Vos pulled an absolute blinder making the jump when Armistead feinted a sprint start by getting out of the seat. She was settling back down and unwinding when Vos jumped. Great win!

Abs

Bad Robot

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Being a lover of all types of sport I'm in my element watching such event as The Olympics and the European Championships. I like anything on wheels, sand and a anything to do with a ball :lol:

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Great result on Hamilton winning ;) .

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
SHROUD said:
Great result on Hamilton winning ;) .
Hamilton who? is he the one in the go-karts?

Not really watching much of Olympics really, its a bit dull. A couple of things annoy me though, why are the welsh and scottish players in the GB football team not singing the anthem, its not an english anthem, its the national one. If they have such an issue with being British then they should not have accepted a place in the team.

Also the unsold seats, every event they show on tv seems to have huge blocks of empty seats, I know the organisers are blaming the corporate and IOC people who have not shown up, but when so many people could not get tickets at all, it seems a tragedy that the seats are now empty. I am sure the Sponsors will say these seats are still paid for , even if not used, but surely they could be sold again to claw back the vast amount of money it has cost us taxpayers.

Anyway thats my rant.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really liked the opening ceremony too. Let's face it, it had lots of drums in it. In my book, that's a good thing! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing canoeing! 8-)

All Olympics have problems, I think LOCOG have done a pretty superb job so far. Fingers crossed it all goes well throughout. It is a shame about the ticketing issue, sounds like this should improve shortly.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
sorry thought I was finished,

why , oh why, when we have so many world class architects, did we end up with an aquatics centre that looks like it was inspired by a feminine hygiene product, you know, the one with wings.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
With all the private schools with Olympic size pools, wouldn't it have been better just to use them and save the money?