PS3 The Last of Us leaked multiplayer details

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Naughty Dog's The Last of Us is due to launch next week and we've heard nothing about the game's multiplayer mode.

A cause for concern, perhaps? A suggestion that the multiplayer mode is just a box-ticking add-on? Perhaps not - a list of multiplayer details found within the game's demo and posted on Pastebin hint at an intriguing and in-depth survival-based addition.

The big feature appears to be Clans, a groups of off-screen characters you can train and keep alive.

Matches take place over a number of in-game weeks, during which time each human player or team has the chance to gain Clan members or see them die from infection, starvation and enemy incursions.

Your Clan's success and growth are directly affected by your performance during each multiplayer round, in which you collect Parts which are then turned into Supplies. You can then send Clan members on missions to improve their skills, rescue other survivors or simply improve their chances of survival.

There's a huge list of NPC names and status effects describing what they're up to. "[NPC name] is spit-roasting a raccoon," for example. "Gangrene is beginning to set in for [another NPC name]." Your team can also learn abilities (weapon crafting/fishing/botany) which give you perks (a new machete/food/health items).

Your Clan will also have to contend with random events, such as an Infected attack.

Other new details include lists of the game's multiplayer weapons, crafting items and character customisation - the latter of which includes at least 150 different types of hat.

The leak stems from the recent The Last of Us single-player demo, made available for those who bought God of War: Ascension. Watch us playing below.

Naughty Dog is expected to finally speak about the game's multiplayer mode in the coming days.

UPDATE: The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog has released the first screenshots of the game's multiplayer mode.

Amid the flamethrowers and spiky grenades you can also see mention of the collectible Parts, revealed in yesterday's extensive leak.

UPDATE #2: Gameplay footage from The Last of Us' multiplayer has also appeared online. More than three minutes can be found below, as posted by Spanish site HobbyConsolas.

The video shows the game's see-through-walls echo location mechanic in action, as well as crafting and lots of general gunplay.

Source: Eurogamer

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Almost canceled my pre order but haven't yet, I have been away from console gaming due to real life and lack of time. I'm hoping this will grab my attention and get me back on my ps3. Looks great, I'm more interested in the single player but will welcome multiplayer as long as it's good.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
UPDATE #2: Gameplay footage from The Last of Us' multiplayer has also appeared online. More than three minutes can be found below, as posted by Spanish site HobbyConsolas.

The video shows the game's see-through-walls echo location mechanic in action, as well as crafting and lots of general gunplay.

Bugger - Video has been removed by user.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I never usually buy a new game at full price but come the 14th i think I will be.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Although I dont think its very nice encouraging a young girl to burn someone alive with a flame thrower, I havent cancelled my fathers days requested present which apparently will be purchased from tescos next friday as my son seems to think it'll be as cheap as pre ordering online and will ensure that I get it on Friday.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Official details of the multiplayer from the EU PlayStation Blog:

The Last of Us multiplayer revealed
English
Countries: AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ

Over the past few days we invited media to play our The Last of Us multiplayer mode called Factions. Most of these impressions are available online now but you’ll be seeing more as our review embargo on the game ends very soon.

The multiplayer is an extension of the themes you’ll find in the single player game. The moment-to-moment survival present in the single-player campaign is integral to the multiplayer. You’ll feel tension and need to be intensely alert at all times. We want to show you a glimpse of what the gameplay looks like.

In Factions you’ll have to pick a side and roll with the Hunters or the Fireflies. Each player starts with a small clan of survivors that you need to keep alive and grow. There are two modes in which you can accomplish the growth and survival of your Clan. In Supply Raid, you’ll have to scavenge the area and keep your team alive. Your team has a pool of 20 reinforcements. Once the reinforcements have been exhausted, the match will go into sudden death.

In Survivors, you’re going to have to be extremely vigilant. There are no respawns. Once you’re gone you’ve been eliminated until the next round. It’s a best of seven rounds in which the first team to win four rounds wins the match.

The core gameplay is very tactical, featuring the same crafting system found in the single player experience. Stealthy players can do well by using Listen Mode to locate enemies and flank them with silenced weapons. Teamwork is essential – fallen teammates can crawl to their allies and be revived, so players who stick together will excel. Melee combat is a brutal affair, and after downing a player you have the choice of performing an execution move. There are many more layers to explore, from the robust loadout system to the in-game economy. We can’t wait to see you online!

Pre-order The Last of Us to receive some cool multiplayer items via the Survival DLC Pack. Pairing with the initial game offerings if you buy the Season Pass you’ll be entitled to receive even more multiplayer content when we release newly created DLC we’re planning for the game.

The Last of Us is available globally from 14th June, 2013.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Forgot it was papa day next Sunday looks like I won't be paying for this game :D