The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

The great flood of 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Acegadgets, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    There has been a months rainfall in 3 hours here on Tyneside. Every major road in the area was flooded, many totally blocked, and people were using side streets to try and find a way home from work. Luckily I finish work at 1 pm and was nice and dry about to switch my PS3 on for a night of gaming when the phone rang. My 19 year old son had tried to get through one of the "puddles " only to conk out. He was stranded and asked me to come and tow him home. It was onbly 7 miles ansd usually would take 10 mins to get there. Unfortunetly everyone was trying to use the same shortcuts and it took 2 and a half hours to get to him. Having finally reached him, and attatched the tow rope we prroceeeded to make our way home in the heavy traffic. One of the roundabouts was flooded on the way back so we had to mount sthe pavement on the wrong side of the road to get past it. A drain cover had popped out and my car went into the drain. The tyre bust which meant changing the wheel for one of those yellow emergency ones. Another small setback but we were not detered and carried on eventually getting home over 3 and a half hours later. So its no gaming for me tonight, a small can of cheap beer then its off to bed as i'm up again at 3 am.

2. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Cripes Ace! Col said it was bad and I saw the floods in Belfast but that's a bloody awful night! Glad you all made it home safe. We're roasting down here in Watford and it's been sunny since midday.

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    It was bad all round the area, the extent of which may not have been apparent last night.

It took me over 3 hours to get home and the bus drivers of the area should be praised for their hard work keeping the buses going when so many roads were closed.

Some of my collegues took around 5 hours to get home and one of my friends ended up running out of diesel on a flooded/closed road with water levels rising and no real method of contacting anyone and no sign of life in any direction! Fortunately everyone I know managed to get home one way or another, a bit wet, but safe.

4. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Absolutely shocking! We've had some utterly bonkers weather as of late with it being warm at the start of the year. Just wish it had been warm when I cycled 130 miles in early January. It was so cold at one point riding through the fog that I had ice forming on my glasses!

5. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    It's been stupidly warm down here and the sun has been hiding for most of It, Muggy I think the term Is.
    It'll probably piss down this afternoon as It's my Brother's wedding :)

Spruijt likes this.
  6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Jeez sorry to hear this guys. I saw some footage on the news last night, so you have my sympathies. And as Herman has stated, its been ridiculously hot down South, although it does look like its going to piss down any mo.

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Ace, Lyndseys mums house flooded but only little thank god unfortunately her brother lives in a log cabin in the back yard and it got the brunt of the flood everything he owned was in it and its now gone :(

My TV, Broadband and phone was off from 9pm until sometime to day.

My work was just saved, although i was stuck there until 8pm and it took an hour to get home thanks to rambo and his Landrover.

8. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Your videos are set as private, cant see them.
    I need to see if I can copy a vid from the evening chronicles website. It shows my son in his car bailing out the water with a little saucer.

9. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Really I know there private but they should still work if you click the link.

10. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    I've tried clicking on the player in your post and going to the website directly but both say the videos are private and I can't play them.

11. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    ok should be fixed now :)

I set them to private rather then unlisted oops

and Halo thanks for fixing the links :clap:

12. Alien_Chick

Alien_Chick Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Alien_Chick
    Me and the hubby were due to travel up to your neck of the woods on Thursday but thankfully heeded the severe weather warning and went on Friday morning instead. I must say, the whole thing looked horrendous when we watched the local news on arrival.....the bridge getting hit by lightening, man-hole covers being blown 20 foot into the air and all those people stuck in their cars............it must get frightening at times. And there was still mud in all the gutters and on the roads when we left this morning............oh what a delightful summer :)

13. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    my son has tried to get his car going again but it wont start. He's a trainee mechanic , so has lots of workmates to ask how to fix it. The problem is that its a diesil car, he just swapped it a few weeks ago and has been told that it will cost a grand to rebiuld the engine. cars only worth about £1200. He has fully comp but as hes 19 he dosent want to lose his no claims as the extortionate insuance that he pays will be even worse. So now we are stuck with another knackered car on the drive. (I have a citreon not working for 2 months) He says hes gonna sell it in parts which means turning my drive into a scrapyard.
    any suggestions?

14. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Hes probably got a massive excess too, and by the time you take that off, given that the Insurer will have their own valuation of the car which'll always be less than you think, its really not worth claiming.

I used to work in insurance. I mention this in passing, and of course Im not suggesting you do this :shifty: , but most insurers only share claims info on claims over £5K. Some dont even bother with that and only log claims over £10K. So this means if he did claim for his car, and his personal effects etc, it would be below the threshhold where another insurer would be oblivious to it as it wouldnt be shared on any of the claims databases. So in effect one could take out a new policy with someone else and forget to tell them about that claim.

Again, not suggesting anything untoward here, and just making idle chit-chat. ;)

Then again, your No Claims Bonus is worth more, so sometimes it pays to take a hit to save money in the long term.

15. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    As a heads up it's apparently gonna be bad again tomorrow, probably not as bad as last week, but still, be prepared if you can be. Over my way it looks as though we might see the first of it tonight, had some nice thunder and some very fast moving, low, dark cloud.

16. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Rain pants and massive coat ready for it :)

I hope its later in the day and not during the day.

17. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Thanks for the insurance info Slaine, He has decided not to claim , as he has a large excess . When i got insurance online recently I had to send proof of no claims off straight away . Think thats standard now.
    Col, I cant see anything being as bad as last week it has to be once in a lifetime weather, unless the world is coming to an end that is. But I will be packing waterproofs for work tomorrow.

18. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Well that was meant to be today, from what I can gather not much happened, there was some pretty heavy rain in parts of county durham, but nothing spectacular like last week.

I think we're rapidly heading towards the day after tomorrow though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice