XBOne The extent of Kinect 2's visual DRM is beginning to emerge

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Kinect 2 will be able to employ certain DRM measures depending on what it observes in the living room.

That’s the conclusion suggested by a patent filed by Microsoft, and corroborated by sources talking to MCV in the weeks leading up to this week’s Xbox One reveal.

ExtremeTech reports that Microsoft has filed for a patent that allows Kinect to monitor the number of viewers in the room. It then cross-checks this with the maximum number of viewers permitted by the licence that a user agrees to when purchasing or renting content.

If it is deemed that too many people are present, the user will be prompted to pay an additional fee to upgrade the licence.

Says the filing: “The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.”

It should be noted too that Kinect is designed to continuously observe its roommates. It also adds that the T&Cs for any particular piece of content can be determined by the copyright holder.

It’s also hard to stop yourself pondering where such a tech ideology could lead. Could Kinect block 18-rated content if it detects minors in the room? What if the owner of the content licence leaves mid-viewing?

And how much of this information is being fed back to Microsoft? And even more importantly, its affiliates?

Are content owners paying to receive information about what part of a film viewers enjoyed the most? Or whether they continued to look at the TV screen when an advertisement was aired?

Big questions lie ahead.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft said it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

UPDATE: To address the question of the age of the patent. Yes, the patent is old. But we have been told by UK industry sources within the last month that this system will be implemented on Xbox One.

UPDATE 2: Microsoft has now issued MCV with the following comment: "Microsoft regularly applies for and receives patents as part of its business practice; not all patents applied for or received will be incorporated into a Microsoft product.

Source: mcvuk

Very concerning if there's any truth to these rumours.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
And remember the Kinect must be connected at all times. So theres no getting away with it either.

OAPboba

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looks like Microsoft are this console cycle's Sony - with all the early speculation being very damaging to them. Expect half-arsed articles on why GTA VI will work better on PS4 soon! :?

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Stop this M$ bashing at once, in my opinion Sony has released no info and might have some of the same technology/software we don't want but they just haven't made it public unlike M$.

I feel M$ want to take th US by storm neglecting Europe and Asia. This is one how it looks in my eyes. But maybe I'm not seeing the big picture.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Stop this M$ bashing at once, in my opinion Sony has released no info and might have some of the same technology/software we don't want but they just haven't made it public unlike M$.
Sony will get equally bashed if they try to do the same thing. We believe in equality here. :D

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
LOL

I'm sure Sony will just as much of a bashing if they announce the same things.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sony are my last hope for the next gen now, if they reveal the same sort of crap as MS then its time to find something else to do.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sony are my last hope for the next gen now, if they reveal the same sort of crap as MS then its time to find something else to do.
I know what you mean.

There's always PC though....I know it's not quite the same as a console due to the clunky shit they call Windows, but there's lots of much cheaper games on PC and provided you don't care about being competitive online then you can play most games these days with a stock Xbox360 controller.

My mind is pretty much made up, i'm gonna see about getting a mid-high end graphics card for my PC and stick with the PS3 and PC for gaming. If the PS4 turns out to be a winner i'll look into getting one of those once the price drops.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really dont believe any of the stuff posted about the XBOX ONE will be implemented. Infact I'd wager that Sony are behind all these damaging rumours towards microsoft.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really dont believe any of the stuff posted about the XBOX ONE will be implemented. Infact I'd wager that Sony are behind all these damaging rumours towards microsoft.
It's all Agent Phil Harrison's fault

TalllPaul

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That old "we patent this and that always" line. It is bad enough just patenting it, meaning that if it was viable enough you would use it.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Microsoft have since come out and said that Kinect can be turned off by unplugging it from the mains. Yeah cheers Microsoft for helping me to join the dots.:stupid: Obviously by doing this you can never activate your Xbox One or receive background downloads etc. God, theyve got me doing it now.:oops::shock:

Theyve also gone on to say that it has a variety of privacy settings that allow you, amongst many other things, to opt out of sending data.

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score