• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 The Elder Scrolls Online on PS4: Your questions answered

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Elder Scrolls Online on PS4: Your questions answered

We’ve gotten a ton of great questions from the PlayStation community anxious to learn more about thePlayStation 4 release of The Elder Scrolls Online. While we’re still several months from the game’s June launch, we want to make sure we’re keeping you up-to-date as things progress in development.

One question we’ve been frequently hearing is whether or not a PlayStation Plus membership will be required to play The Elder Scrolls Online on PS4. We kick off with the answer to that and have answers to several other questions you’ve submitted via Twitter. Thanks to everyone who submitted questions and thanks for all your support — we love to hear from the community. Keep the questions coming.

@NathanaelMoner Will playing online with The Elder Scrolls Online have a separate subscription compared to PlayStation Plus?
A PlayStation Plus membership is not required to play The Elder Scrolls Online. PS4 players will only be required to pay the same monthly subscription associated with The Elder Scrolls Online that PC and Mac users will pay — nothing more.

@TsoriGaming Will PS4 servers be split between EU and NA, or will we be on one megaserver?
They will be split. PS4 users will play The Elder Scrolls Online on either the European PS4 megaserver or the North American PS4 megaserver. We’ll share more details about how this will work closer to launch.

@Adzaofoz Will PS4 users be on the same servers as PC users?
PS4 users will have their own dedicated ESO megaservers (European and North American). PC and Mac users will not be on the PS4 megaservers. This is good news for PS4 players as they won’t have to worry about contending with higher-level PC players when ESO launches on the PlayStation 4.

@AdamJ_Floyd How are you guys going to incorporate an action bar on console? Or what will the substitution be?
We’re still testing and tweaking different Dualshock 4 button mapping configurations, but we’re very happy with the gameplay experience on the PlayStation 4. Abilities are conveniently accessible for fun “on the couch” gameplay, and the team is really happy with how it’s coming along. We’ll have more specifics to share about this topic later this year.

@SamiRocklynn How will you be utilising and using the touchpad on the PS4 controller in-game?
We love the additional functionality of the Dualshock 4 touchpad. We’re playing with a couple of different button configurations to find the best and most intuitive use for the touchpad.

@DexMProductions How much space will it take up on the PS4 HDD?
While details aren’t yet finalized, the PS4 offers an HDD with a tremendous amount of memory. There is plenty of HDD memory available for the game and for years of continuous post-launch content that will be released for The Elder Scrolls Online.

@Brandon_Roark_ How will the controls be mapped on PS4? Will it be similar to Skyrim on a controller?
Throughout ESO’s development, our goal has been to create an MMO that is fun to play and is familiar to Skyrim fans. Gameplay in ESO isn’t identical to Skyrim, so naturally we’ve made some button configuration changes to reflect the differences, such as the use of abilities. At the same time, there are a lot of controller configuration similarities between Skyrim and ESO.

@maheirem Will PvE instances, like dungeons, offer a single player mode?
The Elder Scrolls Online is an MMO that was designed to give the gamer freedom to play with others, or alone. That said, there are instances and areas that are specifically designed and tuned to be taken on with friends.

@Wretched86 When does the PlayStation beta start? And when should we expect beta invites?
We do not yet have a date or timeframe to share, but we can assure you that there will be an ESO beta exclusively for PlayStation 4 fans later this year. Keep an eye on elderscrollsonline.com, as well as here on the PlayStation Blog, for further details!

From all of us here on The Elder Scrolls Online team, a big thank you to the PlayStation community for being so supportive. If you haven’t signed up for the PS4 ESO beta yet, don’t forget to do so here:https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/beta

We’ll see you in Tamriel on the PS4 later this year!

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
looks very nice but I cant justify paying a subscription beyond playstation plus, so thats me out

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What is the anticipated sub level?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
  • What payment model will The Elder Scrolls Online use?We will be announcing exact payment methods at a later date, but globally we will be supporting multiple payment options. Players must purchase The Elder Scrolls Online in order to play it. They will have unlimited access for the first 30 days following activation and can continue beyond that with a subscription of $14.99/month (€12.99 / £8.99).
https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah not for me. Skyrim is my favourite game ever played, but I don't do subs. Far too expensive. They shouldve gone the ftp model.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The problem is modern games already require massive amounts of play to unlock everything, add to that the PS plus freebies, there are not enough hours in the day to play an MMO never mind one you have to pay extra for

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It would have to be something very special for me to pay a sub every month. It wouldn't be so bad if the game was free to purchase. I expect the retail price will drop very quickly after release.

GusGorman

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hehe all this too expensive makes me giggle. Take a step back and look how much you spend in a year on games...this is a game for the long haul. You spend time in it...so why not pay. I play FTP games and they end up costing more...they are a misnomer. Subs are fine if you are willing to commit to the game and not game hop which is the general mentality of most console gamers.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ah but I know when buy a game how much it will cost me over its lifetime which allows me to budget, I am not asking for it to be free but my experience of MMOs so far is that they slow drip a full priced single player experience to you and charge you ten times the price by stretching out player progress as far as possible. A reasonable up front charge and less glacial progress would be preferable for this cash conscious and time poorish gamer

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I played about 0.1% of Oblivion, 0.01% of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas is still in the shrink wrap so gave Skyrim a miss. So on that basis this will also be a miss for me. I'd probably really enjoy it but I have the attention span of a gnat. I'm not thinking this will be a big hit on the console. Geeks people that are seriously into this kind of shizz buy it on the PC.

zeroflip

Casual Gamer
Reaction score
This is very helpful thread. I have a long time fan of this series but I doubt I will get this game as I love the fact the series is single player. I just find it bizarre seeing it multi player. perhaps that would change over time??

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Apparently they are playing with making this F2P (no sub) but micropurchases so the players who wanna jump ahead or pay 2 win can. This is just a rumor but if its true ill be getting this game day one.

GusGorman

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've been playing the Beta and it is only worth F2P...my pre order was cancelled.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've been playing the Beta and it is only worth F2P...my pre order was cancelled.
Shame that this is the case, anything in particular not goo about this one. I expected that it would be hard to replicate the single player elder scrolls experience to a multiplayer one.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It looks and feels like a Warcraft wannabe, albeit with Elder Scrolls creatures and places. I really didnt like what I saw.

GusGorman

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nothing beats WoW so there is no point in trying to be like it. I thought the 1st person view was great, just like Elder Scrolls should be but the 3rd person was awful. Also, the starter zone really was awful. Every MMO has to have the hand holding first few levels but it really is bad.

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seen some MMO gameplay of Elder Scrolls and it left me cold, I enjoyed the solo aspect of the earlier games, the fact that the chap playimg it basically ganked another player that was out PvE-ing meant to me its not a game that has my interest any more....

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Been told quests that were glitchy and unfinishable in the alpha are still the same and with the release only days away it's a no go game for me. Subs and glitchyness just doesn't go. Skyrim was broken for ages and I gave up on it this game sounds the same.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well two guys I play PC with have had this since release and refuse to continue with there subscription. It's boring and some quests glitched meaning others couldn't be started. Game play was slow and everyone trying to do one thing at once meant getting anywhere was really slow.

I think the Internet in general have all said the same thing if you can't be on par with World Of Warcraft then don't bother trying.

I have spent a couple of weekends playing Wildstar ßeta which is like WoW but in space. With the ability to build a home and have friends visit it seems to have made this game extremely desirable. Glitches are being worked on continously meaning most are fixed day by day. The ßeta is run from Friday - Sunday and as a newly adopter of WoW I find this game really enjoyable. I also think it's on par with WoW and might actually drag gamers away from it.

Any PC gamers out there that love WoW should head over to NCsoft and register the open ßeta starts in a couple of weeks.