Multi The Division 2 is set in a summertime Washington DC

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Capital.

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 has swapped the wintry New York for summertime Washington DC, and is due out on 15th March 2019.

In a section of gameplay shown during Microsoft's E3 press conference, a team of agents explored an overgrown zoo where survivors of the series' smallpox plague were sheltering. The action then moved outside, to the streets of the city, and a firefight against the backdrop of the Capitol building and a crashed Air Force One.

We'll likely see more of The Division 2 during Ubisoft's press conference tomorrow.

Source: The Division 2 is set in a summertime Washington DC

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This hasn't really been on my radar until the last few days.

Having bought The Division 1 and the season pass, I pretty much gave up on the game once I had completed the storyline. At that time, the DLC hadn't dropped and there wasn't much else to do. The Dark Zone wasn't a particularly pleasant experience (go in, get killed by very powerful other players, lose all of your loot). I moved on to other games like Battleborn, then Overwatch, and others after that (before taking a break from video gaming).

So when The Division 2 was announced, I noted this and made the above post and then that was it, until recently. @HaloJ has been keeping an eye on the game and was interested. She mentioned it to me and I wasn't, I thought that it was basically going to be just more of the same. Then I decided to have a look at some information and it seems that it's not just set in a new location, Washington, but that Ubisoft has made a lot of refinements and improvements to the game (more detailed below). Also, whilst there is a season pass, that will be for cosmetic items and some activities (no details on exactly what you get yet). The story drops (I think there's 3 planned for year 1) and 8-player raids will be added and available to everyone for free.

Here are some videos about the game from E3 and Gamescom:

Some details about the Endgame and specialization of your character post-story:

Basically post-story, Washington will be taken over by a new, hard faction for you to battle against. No longer will there just be one daily mission to do, you can go back to anywhere and play those areas again but this time with the Black Tusks fighting against you.

Some information about the story:

How the Dark Zones, Conflict and PVP will work in the new game and the changes from Division 1:

In Division 1, there was only 1 Dark Zone and players with better kit would always win, so if you weren't on the game and constantly grinding to get this, you had little or no chance. Also you would get camped by players near the entrances. On top of that, if you accidentally shot someone you became rogue and would have up to 23 other players after you.

In Division 2, there are now 3 smaller Dark Zones, each with differing layouts and styles (as they are in different parts of the city). These will have 12 players in each instance. You can't accidentally shoot someone, you have to press and hold to enable "going rogue" before doing this (though you can always shoot at agents who have already gone rogue). There's a new rogue status which isn't as bad as the original one (which is still in the game), the "white rogue" is when you steal stuff from others and from caches. You'll be just "a little bit bad", won't be marked on the map (though nearby players will be able to see your status if they see you) and you can hack at terminals in the zone for the chance to get in a special safe house for white rogues only and gain better loot/gear and have your status cleaned away. So now it's more tempting to go rogue than before. Also there are now turrets near to Dark Zone entrances so they can't be camped by rogue agents or NPCs (the turrets only shoot at these, not clean players). Most importantly, player stats are now "normalised" in 2 of the 3 Dark Zones (there will always be 1 Dark Zone that remains with the old Division 1 rules) meaning that all gear and weapon stats are brought within a narrow range so no-one totally outclasses anyone else.

In Division 2 there are also reworked PVP modes using dedicated maps for skirmish (TDM) and Domination (capture and hold flags) compared to Division 1 (which I didn't even know had these; they were added after the game had been out for a while).

There's more changes and improvements beyond this, including an expansion of skills and gadgets, a reworking of the armour+guns+mods system and more.

There's an upcoming private beta for anyone who preorders the game:

For more information on some of the changes to the game, you can read about this on the Ubisoft Division 2 news section:

Intelligence Annex: Weapons in The Division 2
Intelligence Annex: True Sons
Intelligence Annex: The Division 2 Skills
Intelligence Annex: Welcome to the Dark Zones
Intelligence Annex: PVP in The Division 2

This is definitely on our radar now. @HaloJ and I have dug out The Division 1 again and started playing it last night, so we'll likely be on over the next few days and weeks as we get used to the game again (please do jump on and join us if you fancy a game or two!) and, in all likelihood, to prepare us for when we purchase The Division 2.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
We put over 120 hours into the first title. Not bad for the price and the story/playability was pretty spot on. It's a shame that the initial high level content required participation in the dark zone as it truly was a hell hole. We had a look last night at the survival mode together with doing a couple of the time limited air drops. One thing is clear during our absence they've tightened up the TTK and smoothed away some of the bullet sponge.

What peaked my interest of The Division 2 was a few of the quality of life elements that are being added.
  • Smoothing out gear levels in standard dark zone should stop the high vs low level ganking
  • The occupied dark zone on rotation should keep those that like the old system happy
  • Enemy scaling and the armour system is fully reworked so that players and Ai share the shame stats. Anti-armour weapons were pretty much a necessity in The Division 1
  • Another awesome story :D
  • A full rework (rather than the tweaking of D1) of the TTK TTD system
I did have concerns about it being too similar to the first but having watched the above videos and seen the size of the map and looking at UbiSoft's great work in other titles like Assassin's Creed and Siege I really feel this may be worth a punt.

As of yet though we have not pre-ordered so do not have Beta (network testing/demo) participation.

Abs

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Beta access clarification

Anyone who gets into the Beta either via pre-order or via the lottery (web address to come) can invite up to 3 other friends to the Beta.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the co op aspect of The Division but hated the the dark zone shit and seeing as that was the endgame it killed it for me.
I've been avoiding anything to do with the Division 2 but after watching these vids..... I'm interested!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the co op aspect of The Division but hated the the dark zone shit and seeing as that was the endgame it killed it for me.
I've been avoiding anything to do with the Division 2 but after watching these vids..... I'm interested!
That's exactly how I felt until I saw the videos and read the information about the changes and improvements they've made for the new game. End game is now a lot more than just the Dark Zone (and that has vastly improved, see my previous comments, I actually want to play that now) and the single daily missions of the current game. There's going to be a lot more replayability in the end game and the fact that you don't need a season pass to get the extra episode content makes it even more worthwhile picking up the game.

It's looking much more likely that we will be picking this up!

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I shall be looking at pre ordering.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Beta live now, 45gb download

mick

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really liked the first one, it was just a shame that it didn't like me, same as every other shooting game.

Very much doubt that i shall be getting this, as much as I'd like to. Doesn't help that my eyesight has gone to buggery since my op and even sitting 6ft from the TV everything is blurry :(