Multi The best games of 2013

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What do you think are the best games of 2013?

Both OPM and Eurogamer have published a list of top games as voted for by their readers. OPM's list focuses solely on PS3, PS4 and Vita titles whilst Eurogamer's encompasses all platforms. Here is the top 10 titles from both lists:

OPM (from their 20 best PlayStation games of 2013)
  1. The Last of Us
  2. Grand Theft Auto 5
  3. Bioshock Infinite
  4. Tomb Raider
  5. Beyond: Two Souls
  6. Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch
  7. Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag
  8. Batman: Arkham City Origins
  9. FIFA 14
  10. Killzone Shadow Fall
Eurogamer (from their Top 50 Games of 2013)
  1. The Last of Us
  2. Grand Theft Auto 5
  3. Bioshock Infinite
  4. Tomb Raider
  5. Super Mario 3D World
  6. Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag
  7. Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch
  8. XCOM: Enemy Within
  9. Spelunky
  10. Hotline Miami
Interesting that the top 4 are identical and the top 7 have only 1 title difference and one difference in position.

So, what do you think of these lists? Do you agree, or think they are way off? What are your top games of 2013?

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
TheSixthAxis, whilst not having a Top Ten per se, do seem to agree with TLoU, GTA5, BioShock Infinite & Ni no Kuni topping several of their charts:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/12/31/tsa-community-game-of-the-year-2013-the-results/
(Not really in a pastable format, I don't think.)

Personally I'm going to stick to my guns & say that whilst a very polished game, I personally prefer Diablo 3 & GTA5 over TLoU, just for sheer replay ability,
however as for actual hours/duration of play this year I'm going for Ni no Kuni as the winner but I know it's not to everybody's tastes.
Glad Tomb Raider has a mention, but like BioShock Infinite & TLoU, I haven't been tempted to go back to them after completion, at all.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
BF3, GTA5, AC4 were the main ones for us. Others were started and dropped by the wayside.
Missus wants to mention Skyrim but it's impossible to get her back on it......Ouch, stop hitting me woman!!

Most of the others I haven't even looked at. And no, bf3 wasn't a typo, definitly my most played game.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have to go with The Last of Us. A lot of games that came out didn't bring anything that different, good yes but almost a rehash of their predecessors. TLOU brought not only something different, but a stunning game to boot, hands down for me.

Alien_Chick

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
GTA5 by far for me....I also enjoyed NFS Most Wanted and Defiance but they seem to have dropped off now which is a shame....Wish I had a PS4 for KZ Shadowfall as I love KZ and it looks great but for now I will have to content myself to watching my nephew play it and hoping he will give me a go!! I may be moving in with my brother and his family if I don't get a PS4 anytime soon ha ha

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'd agree with The Last of Us. It was a stunning game, and I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog can do with PS4!

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I did not play The Last of Us, but I wote on it anyway... It seems to be a truly epic game all ways considered, but I did never get around to play it because I'm a Battlefield junkie :(

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I wasn,t really a big fan of Gta in the past. I did buy gta 4 but got a bit bored d with it after a few weeks. I wasn't expecting gta 5 to be very good, but bought it anyway. I am really glad that i did as i can honestly say that its been the best ps 3 game ever released. Prior to that only burnout paradise has come close. So its my number one game of 2013 by a long way. In second place is the last of us and third would be black flag, which for me is the best assassins creed ever made. I was going to get bioshock infinite, but never got around to it. Other goods games were far cry 3 blood dragons and my favorite pc game was euro truck sim. 2, i kid you not.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What I find personally interesting is that I have not played most of the games on the list, at one time I would have played a good 50% or more of the top games in a year. It demonstratres the malaise I have generally felt with my gaming over the last year or so. I liked Tomb Raider, so perhaps I should vote for that, it had its flaws though. I also like Diablo to a certain extent, but it is a bit too limited to say its a game of the year, it has a terribly hackneyed plot and its basically a souped up gauntlet, nice though it is. The games I have played most of have probably been best games of 2013 as i have been catching up with the unfinished titles I have from then.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've only played GTAV and KZ Shadowfall (well the MP once!) from those lists. Neither of which particularly grasped my attention for any prolonged period of time. The only game that I regularly played was BF3, and I expect it will probably be BF4 I play all the time this year.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I'll agree with the top 5 although i didn't play GTA5 much I can appreciate that it is a great game. Bioshock Infinity should be with PS+ soon so it will be a good time to restart the story and see if it is as good as everyone says

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would have liked to see Tomb Raider slightly higher, GTA5 was nice but left me feeling that they could have done so much more with it, not enough missions for starters too much reliance on online. Ni No Kuni was a really nice RPG, Studio Ghibli is the bees knees when it comes to knocking out some sweet artwork.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
For me I suppose going by what I played the most my list would include Diablo 3 (cant wait until its released on ps4) The last of us, Black Flag, probably GT5 in there as well somewhere. All in no particular order.
I thought the bioshock games were pants.