The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PC The £300ish gaming PC Project

Discussion in 'PC Hardware & Other Games' started by Acegadgets, 4 Jan 2013.

1. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I was recently looking for some info on the "steambox" and came across a youtube video by a chap called JackFrags who showed that you could pretty much build a gaming PC for under £300.
    My PC is around 6 years old and I've never updated it. It does everything a PC should do but is no good for gaming. I used to put PCs together 10 - 20 years ago , the problem then is they were pretty much out of date and in need of an upgrade virtually every year and Consoles were easier to play games on, cheaper to buy and better to play games on.
    My gaming time is a lot less than it used to be and I don't really play as much online as I used to. I seem to be playing more single player games now, so dont think i'll miss out too much on multiplayer games, infact I reckon I could well find more people to play with during the day time than I currently do on the PS 3 as most of my console friends come online when I go to bed.
    The games I play on or am thinking of buying this year will probably be better on a PC , such as Crysis 3 , Grid 2 and Bioshock infinite. I've also been looking at getting into games like Planetside 2, Day Z and perhaps some flight sims . I used to love playing Appache gunship and all the Microprose games, I'm sure theres some good games like that waiting to be discovered by me.
    My concerns are that I might have problems playing FPS games with a mouse and keyboard. However with the steam box on its way I reckon that future PC games might be aimed at people with PCs using control pads rather than Mouse/ keyboard. I also doubt that I can download much as I;ve a slow connection to the internet and it would take ages, Boxed games are so much cheaper on PC though that I'l always get a better game on PC for a lower price . Grid 2 for example will be £38 on PS3, £25 on PC.
    I've already tested my Logitec PS3 steering wheel and it should work well with racing games. I also have PC joysticks and a Logitec wingman that would work with sims. My sony USB suround sound headset will also probably work with it.
    My Budget.
    I don't really have a spare £300 floating around, but this month (and next) i have no council tax or water rates to pay as I pay in 10 monthly instalments and pay nothing in Jan and Feb. That's over £300 a month that I'll save this month and the same next.
    I dont have card bills to pay off as I didn't overspend at christmas, infact I've still got £100 off Mother and Aunty to spend. So I think I can afford it this month, I also have 3 weeks holiday due so will have some time on my hands.
    So lets get started.
    I watched this video and will be pretty much following the recommendations from jackfrags with a couple of exceptions.

The CPU will be an Intel Pentium G850 Dual core around £56. I've no idea about CPU speeds and stff like that but the FPS rate seemed excellent on jacks PC so I'll stick with that recomendation
    The Motherboard will be the one listed or similar around £31as will the hard drive . a decent make with 500 GB is around £40.
    4 Mb of RAM, again i'll not get the very cheapest but not by rubbish from some chinese guy on eBay, not sure if to get 1 x 4 gb or 2 x 2 Gb currently about £17 -£20 . A standard DVD/Rw is around £13.
    A PSU of atleast 500 watts is needed. I might get a higher priced one with more wattage, so might be anything from £17 - £35
    I found that the recommended graphics card, an" HD 7770" can be bought from Dabs.co.uk this month for £86. thats a fiver more than Scan UK, BUT it comes with 3 games. Far cry 3 , Dirt Showdown and Sleeping dogs (all downloadable) Absolute bargain by tye sound of things .
    I'll also be looking for a more stylish case. I saw one with 4 fans in and a bit of a nice graphic on the front, and had card readers and stuff on the front for £28.
    I will also be adding a new Wireless mouse and Keyboard. You often get these in the cheap shops like Aldi or B & M bargains for a tenner, If not Argos have them for £15. Seems daft making a new PC and sticking a scruffy old mouse and keyboard on it.
    So first job is to get the bits together which will mean comparing prices on the various online sellers. Will probably get some from Scan uk and others from dabs UK, but going to check the other recommended dealers out over the weekend
    Looking forward to getting this started, I know there's a few around here that will help me out if I come up with any problems. I'll keep you posted.

2. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    What about your operating system? That can set you back a few quid. I always get mine OEM which is cheaper.

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I'd suggest pricing up at Ebuyer.co.uk too, they are often very competitive.

4. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Get everything OEM if you can, my last pc was 75% OEM parts and I saved £££

Look at all UK sites don't just buy the full lot from one supplier. Last pc I built was mainly from OCUK but I also got parts from Novatech and Ebuyer. Last few devices I bought Dvd drives were cheapest at Amazon :D most sites will do free shipping over a certain amount. The cheaper you get it the better ;)

5. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    My sons a student and can get win 7 or 8 for it for nothing. Col reckons windows 7 would be better . I'm going to be checking out all of the online sellers mentioned , ordering the bits in 2 weeks , up and running the day after they arrive. :roll:

6. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I can also get you W7 for nothing VIA my work. That's what I'm gonna do with mine to save £70 :)

7. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    The recommendation of Windows 7 is because Valve reckon Windows 8 isn't as good (and as we're talking about gaming performance you surely want the best performance?).

Personally I would rather have Ubuntu or OSX, both of which outperform Windows due to needing only a tiny fraction of the resources that Windows does for their core system.

I'll likely end up with a dual boot system with Windows and a trimmed down version of Ubuntu, optimised for gaming.

I would stick OSX on it if it was as well supported with games.

8. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
  9. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Interesting little gadget Jamie.
    Dont think i'll be getting one though I will be needing a gaming mouse . I've been looking around and there are a few mad catz ones used on ebay , but they will probably go for a bit more than I want to pay so I've decided on a Sharkoon Dragonia.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sharkoon-drakonia-5000-dpi-avago-9500-laser-sensor-gaming-mouse
    This will add £25 to the budget so I'm gonna make a couple of savings on the other bits to pay towards it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370666289343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    Firstly the case, Jackfrags spent £31, Mine will be £24 saving me £7.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-13...3V1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357716409&sr=8-2
    I also just bout some RAM from Amazon , 4Gb of Kingston DDR3 for £12.49 saving another £4.
    Don't think I can save on the PSU unless I get a cheap make , there's a few around for £10 - £12 but reviews say they break easily and might not actually be the 500w models that they are advertised as being.
    DVD RW's are also going to be around £13, so no savings there. Might be able to save a few quid on a hard Drive , but the other bits (intel CPU and motherboard ) will be hard to find cheaper anywhere unless i go for a different model, but dont really know much about the specs of these things so think I'll stick with jackfrags combo.

10. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Not a bad case there, it even has an additional fan! I would check the sizing of the system to ensure it's capable of supporting the GPU that jackfrags had, the size of the case he got only just allowed enough room for it.

As for CPU/Motherboard, you basically just need to ensure that you have the right motherboard for your processor socket type. Personally I would consider getting a slightly better processor than the one jackfrags listed, perhaps just an i3 (although that's an extra £35)

Games come in two categories, GPU intensive games and CPU intensive. All games are GPU intensive to some degree, but many games don't rely on the CPU much at all, whilst others use a fair bit of CPU power, the Pentium will be lacking a bit for those CPU heavy games (of which BF3 is one).

Also from my experience of budget home built PC's and from what I've been hearing/reading from gamers the PSU is really not an area to skimp on. From personal experience I've had a a PSU crap out on me that shouldn't have been anywhere close to the power rating, it was a 500w PSU and I was only pulling about 350w from it, I just wouldn't touch a cheap PSU these days, find something that comes highly recommended or is from a reputable manufacturer.

11. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    For a first time build his cpu will be great and you can update later to a socket 1155 i7. I was lost a little with all these new fangled cpus. Might ask my dad for cash to build one next week. GPU and PSU are the main gaming parts so try not to scrimp on these also a good memory runs better then a cheap version and also has a longer lifespan. I'm excited a little as I'm in the verge of ordering one today :-\

12. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Yeah i'd be in two minds to spend maybe an extra £40 on a processor or if I have that budget to just plough that cash into a better GPU and grab a better processor as the prices come down.

At the end of the day it costs more to upgrade your GPU than your motherboard/CPU.

I'd also be looking at what this dual graphics card thing is all about....from what I gather provided your motherboard supports dual PCI-E you can pair up graphics cards, I'm not sure if this is particularly useful for single screen applications, but I think it just adds the processing power of the cards together to make a beast of a GPU.

I'll be investigating this myself and if what I believe is true then i'd be looking for a card with HDMI output that can be doubled up for extreme graphics....it's an easy way of boosting graphics performance at a later date when the costs of that card come down a bit.

13. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Most graphics cards come with HDMI output nowadays. I only have a Radeon HD 6770, which I have hooked up via HDMI to a 22" HD LED TV and it's awesome.

14. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I had a shit pc until I upgraded this time last year, all I bought was a Motherboard bundle and a new Graphics card, I was all In for about £170 inc P+P and It can run SWTOR and BF3.

15. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Well this is my build so far without Screen, Case or OS. £309

The Mobo in Jackfrags had no connections just one PCi-E :-\ also similar price cases on scan.co.uk that look better need a full case for mine and fans but should be good :)

Getting Windows 7 from work so won't need that saving £100

Mine in the image has 1tb HDD and 8gb ram (non cheap value range)

PS all the stuff from his has been sold out since his video was posted :D

16. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Having watched the JackFrags video, I would be more than happy to go for the same graphics card , CPU and Motherboard that he recomended. He seemed to get a good performance from it.
    As I mentioned earlier i'm going for the HD 7770 card from Dabs as theres 3 free games with it , Its £86 Jamie
    Would have bought it last week but had a few bills to pay, so I'm going to get the main stuff next week.
    Seen Hitachi 500gb HDs for £36
    Where about are you getting your storm PSu from, I havent seen one under £16 (inc post)? and have you found a cheaper G850 CPU? Jfrags was £56 and his motherboard £31, yours is £43 is that the best you've found so far?

17. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Quick scan on the one I have in the picture above, not much free time at work to have a good look. The motherboard was the most competitive price to match the jackfrags one,I t's atx rather then mini atx so a much longer board. I had a chieftech dragon case which I gave to Janine she binned it just before Christmas :(

18. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Ok been looking again tonight was thinking of getting jacks full build but with a 550w psu as the Gfx runs best with 550w+ and 8gb ram plus a PCIE 2 wireless adapter just hope it fits.

Get my Christmas bonus this month, although I have a huge Christmas bill I'm sure I can stretch to get it ASAP :D

19. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Any ideas why the faster G860 intel chip is £6 cheaper than the G850? (on most sites) Its faster but cheaper?

20. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    The G860 is on sale?

Honestly I can't see any difference at all other than clock speed. It's the same processor family, the same cores/threads, all the same features and capabilities, seemingly just the slightly different clock speed.

There's nothing iffy about the 3Ghz clock speed itself is there? I remember people saying many years ago about 2.4Ghz processors interfering with wifi signals slightly because of the specific speed of the processor, but I always figured that was bullshit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice