The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Teetotal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mick, 24 Dec 2012.

1. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Was just wondering how many people on here are Teetotal ?

I am, not by choice, but its been 8 years now and I can honestly say that I dont miss it in the slightest.

2. Macca72-

Macca72- Newbie Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Macca72-
    I was a regular drinker from an early age(practically every weekend from the age of 16 or 17) and a heavy smoker(about a half ounce of tobacco a day) but I quit both altogether. On January 1st it will be 4 years since I have smoked tobacco and I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since March 2011. I miss the smoking more than the drinking.
    8 years is a long time without a drink Mick.

3. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I'm far from teetotal, but I haven't been out of control drunk for two years this new years, I stop after just a couple of pints these days, have just as much fun, don't do anything dangerous/stupid and don't wake up with a hangover.

I quit smoking almost ten years ago now after being a heavy smoker for a solid ten years and a light smoker for several before that.

I don't miss either and to be honest I didn't find either difficult, quitting smoking was a breeze once I actually wanted to, binge drinking wasn't quite so easy because of the lack of control once I got to the point where I should stop drinking for fear of doing something i'd regret...but when you have the right incentive it helps.

Anyway cracking job on 8 years, that's an achievement!

4. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    I was tee total for about 18 months about 4 years ago after a cracking bout of alcohol poisoning from drinking too much red wine on an empty stomach. It was about 3 bottles I think. Not really been much of a red wine drinker since.

I used to drink every weekend right until about 2 years after I graduated Uni. Never really did anything stupid though. Didn't get a chance to really as somebody would phone my dad to take me home if I got a bit too merry. The joys of a large well known family in a small village. My dad would find out about something I'd done before I'd actually done it lol.

Nowadays I do like a drink but don't drink to excess or every weekend anymore. If I do drink it will be at home as I can never be bothered going out anymore. I find young people really irritating. I don't remember being as irritating as them. They also play crap music that gives me a headache that you can't hear yourself talk over.

I liken drinking too much to weeing your money down the toilet and being hungover all day is such a waste. I don't like feeling ill and my weekends are precious nowadays as the weekdays are sucked up by work. It's alright when you're younger and can just sleep your weekends away. If I do that now I never get anything done.

5. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I was bordering on alcoholic according to my doctor, that said I don't feel I drink as much as I used to. When I live at my dad's I had loads of expendable cash, I drank a bottle of Jack Daniels a night, 1/2 Litre or a litre depending on what I could be bothered with. Now it's a drink now and again and when I have enough I just stop unlike before when I would drink until I couldn't move.

I lived in Whitley Bay, not sure if anyone has heard of it before but it's was a party town and every weekend was a party weekend.

The answer is no I'm not teetotal

6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Im not teetotal by choice either. I gave up smoking because of my kids, but I had to knock drink on the head due to health reasons (it could actually kill me now). I'd have to admit that I dont miss either of them to be honest. My drinking was getting less and less towards the end anyway, mainly because I like reading in bed and you cant do that when you're pissed or got a hangover.

I look back with no regrets though. Drink did make an arse of me, but I really did have a good run when I was younger. Bloody loved the stuff, and there was nothing better than sitting in a pub with a load of mates, pissed and talking shit. Especially if you managed to get a lock in. I noticed that as I got older I just couldnt handle the drink as much as I did. I remember going out Friday, Saturday and Sunday and still wanting to go out some more. As I got older it was either Friday or Saturday, but never both. :grandpa: :lol:

7. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Far from it also although I may try going cold turkey for January,
    more through financial reasons rather than any silly resolutions.
    Tend not to get blind drunk these days,
    though that's more through an over-developed tolerance than direct choice which does cripple my wallet.

I have too much going on & find it near impossible to switch off without a little assistance.
    Perhaps that's a mental issue or a dependency but I can live with it for the moment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice