1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Website News & Support' started by Dogstar, 6 Jul 2012.

1. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    1. Add games list
    2. Compare your games to other members so can suggest co-op

2. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    If this is possible without too much work, this would be great. :thumbup:

3. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Bit of a chalk and cheese this. They get populated with titles that people own but they never seem to get depopulated. I'm as guilty for not keeping them up-to-date as others are. I'm not aware of any facilities that we can easily use but we'll most certainly ponder on it.

Pondering :
    Maybe we could add five custom fields to the user profile and have folks just enter the titles they're playing? Downsides with that though is they'll not be entering the same thing if it's just a text box. Hmm. :? Any other route and it's likely to have to be fully custom code rather than modding and shoehorning available systems. If you don't mind I'll add this suggestion to the "May do..." pile. :thumbup:

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Yeah I remember at other forums many people just dont bother populating their lists, or certainly not bothering updating them afterwards. Its a shame we cant extrapolate any game data from PSN (or can we???). Look at whats been done at trueachievements.com. Pretty smart, and it'll be great if we could integrate our PSN user profiles more over here.

5. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Coolio, thx abs

6. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    A database of games and a drop down box could sort that, but really don't know how easy or quick that would be :)

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I wish I had knowledge on phpbb so I could help

8. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Hi Abs, I was kind of conscious of the update problem. This was a bright idea on the train. If we can do the 5 game thing that seems like a good idea. This month I want to play.....

9. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada

Thats not a bad idea. The 360 has something called beacons which all your friends can see. Basically its a tag saying "Im looking for friends to play....".

Or how about having everyones PSN portable sig file appearing? That shows the last no of games to be played too. I know it'll slow the pages down, but theres no updating required then.

10. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I would steer clear of games lists (as old OAP site), just more work for admin, and they dont get updated by members.
    What about a "currently playing" section on your profile that the member can edit with 3 or 4 titles that they are currently into. This could show up in the bit on the right , under the users image?

11. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    That would be very easy to implement if folk would like it as it's simply adding some more custom fields into the profile.

12. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    As most of us are battlefield players what about a current rank image next to our user image / profile.

13. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Battlefield isn't gonna be played forever I think this might be a bit pointless :?

14. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Can we do that then? It would be a great way of promoting others games to play? Sorry for the brevity of my original message. I was on the train, so on tapatalk and about to get no reception but wanted to post it before I forgot. Who am I again? :oops:

15. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Not only can we do this, I have done this already as you'll see on the right below my avatar. :D

I've just added this as a demo at the moment. If you go into User Control Panel > Profile at the bottom you will see a "Currently playing" option. Select a game from the dropdown (I've only added 5 at the moment and a "-" if you don't want to choose a game) then save your profile. To show 3, 4 or 5 currently played games I'd simply create some more custom fields with the same format so you'd have more options to select from.

There are two ways of doing this. The first way is using a dropdown list. Doing it this way makes it easy for the user to select a game. However I'd need a list of all games folk would be likely to add and this would need to be kept up-to-date, which I suppose could be done with a thread in Website Feedback. The second way is to make them text fields where the user can type in the games they play. No work on my part but more on the users plus there may be typing inconsistencies from user to user.

Anyway, let me know what you think and if you like this idea we can roll it out. :)

16. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I think typing the name would be easier for admin and for the users. BUT people could use it to type other messages and abuse it so we would have to specify that it should only be used for names of games.
    Also why not limit character in the box to say 10 letters max to stop messages being typed and perhaps add 3, 4 or even 5 boxes beneath for each game title, so it dosent get too cluttered with massive amounts of games that you dont really play too often.

17. wilskywalker

wilskywalker Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    wilskywalker
    Is there an officially maintained games directory this drop down menu could be linked to, this would negate the need for users to suggest games and admins to update the list!?

My suggestion would be to give the option to display two games:

Your current multi-player game of choice.
    Your current single player game of choice.

This informs the community what you are doing on-line, and also lets you show what your single player game of the moment is. Also as these are visible every time you post you will be reminded to update them just by the fact they are there!?

18. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    If there were just one choice (as it is now) most users would just have battlefield 3. I would like to put a few games up under my profile so others can see what else I play or want to play.
    I would like to show that I play /want to play:-
    Dirt Showdown
    Battlefield 3
    Starhawk
    Mass Effect 3
    London 2012
    I would like to be able to edit them as I get new games and delete others I I sell them. I dont really want to list all my games, just the ones that I currently play which in my case is about 5.

19. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Thanks for implementing this so quickly. Glad it didn't seem to creat too much work 8-)

20. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    can we have free cake on wednesdays?