Multi Star Wars Battlefront beta playable offline, open to everyone

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You can play the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront beta offline, EA has confirmed.

The beta includes both offline and online modes, including co-op and split-screen co-op, community chief Mathew Everett wrote on the Star Wars Battlefront website.

The beta, which kicks off early October on PC via Origin, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, includes the 40-player Walker Assault on Hoth, and Drop Zone on Sullust.

There's also a beta Survival Mission mode, set on Tatooine, which you can play solo, with a friend online, or couch co-op.

Meanwhile, Everett confirmed the beta is open to everyone. So all can download it as soon as it's live.

Other tidbits:

AI bots are in multiplayer. Fighter Squadron mode, which you can see in the video, includes AI bots (10 on each side).

Players get a primary blaster weapon along with a hand of Star Cards. Players then customise their Star Card hand.

Vehicles in Star Wars Battlefront come with their own weapons and abilities and cannot be upgraded.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Whilst the Hoth footage was a tad monotonous, I'm still hopeful.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I like the fact that you CAN play it offline. Shame theres no campaign but the fact its got Star Wars on the tin means it's highly probable I'll get it anyway. I'd like Disney Infinity too, but those figures are way too expensive. I'll wait till some numpty is selling them for peanuts on Facebook.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Any idea what the Star Cards are?

I'm guessing some sort of additional powers, on a trading card basis, and most likely the main form of additional funding for the game?

"no, we aren't charging for DLC or levels. coz we'll be raking it in in the form of stat boosts & perks"

Sigh.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I still stand by my Thanks, but no thanks stance on this. Gonna save the pennies for Mad Max and that can tie me over to/through Christmas.

Pity as the title could have so much to offer.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've no audio here but from the video, are the words "head" "on" "nail" applicable at all, possibly in another order? ;)

In a desperate bid not to come across as a complete cynical $%^&, I thought I'd quickly have a look for some more info:
Star Wars Battlefront ditches core FPS mechanics but DICE knows what it's doing
Star Wars Battlefront Guide: Star Cards Explained

Isn't really clear but "I've got a bad feeling about this..."
Maybe you're just being cynical...they could just be unlocked through play, obviously with the ability to pay a premium to unlock a bunch of them with real life cash as a shortcut to actually playing the game. That would be no different from the current Battlefield model where you can choose to either unlock the weapons and unlocks the hard way or simply pay for them.

My worry is that they won't allow you a free path to unlocking these cards, I suspect they'll introduce cards along the way that you can only obtain by paying for them....and if Bungie is anything to go by they'll probably charge £20 per card!

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I predict both.

From the wording elsewhere, they definitely unlock as you play - effectively replacing tiers / skills.

I think there will be a premium "timesavers" unlock, no issues there, AND there will be additional "non-essential but really handy, particularly for some levels" cards for purchase.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
8th Oct confirmed, 7GB PS4 install:
Star Wars Battlefront Beta Begins On October 8th

Modes:
  • Walker Assault on Hoth: Fight in epic 40-player battles as a Rebel to destroy the Empire’s onslaught of AT-AT’s by calling in Y-wing bombers. Or, side with the Empire and protect your walkers while utilizing their mighty weaponry to crush the Rebel objective.
  • Drop Zone on Sullust: Escape pods are crashing down and you and your team must fight to control them. With its frantic 8v8 matches, Drop Zone is sure to put your combat and strategy skills to the test.
  • Survival Mission on Tatooine: Play alone or with a friend via co-op or split-screen as you battle to hold off waves of Imperial forces including AT-ST’s, TIE fighters, elite stormtroopers and more.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Only 7GB ... are you sure you didn't miss out a number before or after the 7 :lol:

Solo-nite

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I can't wait to get this game, I already booked off work on Nov 17th.

I also got time off for the beta lol

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Star Wars Battlefront beta begins 8th October on PS4
Everything you need to know about the upcoming trial run

Get ready to be taken to a galaxy far, far away! Today, we’re happy to reveal that the Star Wars Battlefront beta is coming to PS4 on 8th October through 12th October. The beta is a technical test and will give Rebels and Imperials alike just a small taste of the Star Wars battle fantasies you can expect to live out when the game launches on 17th November.

The beta will let you experience three modes spread across three iconic planets, including:

• Walker Assault on Hoth: Fight in epic 40-player battles as a Rebel to destroy the Empire’s onslaught of AT-AT’s by calling in Y-wing bombers. Or, side with the Empire and protect your walkers while utilizing their mighty weaponry to crush the Rebel objective.
  • Drop Zone on Sullust: Escape pods are crashing down and you and your team must fight to control them. With its frantic 8v8 matches, Drop Zone is sure to put your combat and strategy skills to the test.
  • Survival Mission on Tatooine: Play alone or with a friend via co-op or split-screen as you battle to hold off waves of Imperial forces including AT-ST’s, TIE fighters, elite stormtroopers, and more.
In addition to the Star Wars Battlefront beta on PS4, you’ll also get a chance to try out the Star Wars Battlefront Companion experience. Available during the beta only at www.StarWarsBattlefront.com, the Star Wars Battlefront Companion experience features the strategic card game Base Command, and lets you earn in-game Credits that unlock Star Cards, weapons, and more in Star Wars Battlefront.

In addition to Base Command, the Companion also lets players check out game stats and progression, customize load-outs and appearance, connect with friends, and more.

Whether you look forward to crushing the Rebel scum or feel like you can take on the whole Empire by yourself, we look forward to seeing all you in the Star Wars Battlefront beta on 8th October.

F.A.Q.

• What is the Star Wars Battlefront beta?
The Beta is an opportunity for the team at DICE to test various aspects of the game and its online infrastructure. Because of this players may experience interruptions to their gameplay during the Beta period.

• Do I need to register for the beta?
The Star Wars Battlefront beta is open to PS4 players. There is no need to register. The Star Wars Battlefront Companion is available during the beta to all players with an EA Account.

• When is the Star Wars Battlefront beta?
The Star Wars Battlefront beta and Companion will be available on 8th October and will end on 12th October. The beta and Companion is open to players around the world.

• What time will the beta and Companion be available on 8th October?
Time will vary by platform and region. Please come back and visit the Star Wars Battlefront beta hub for all the latest information.

• When will the beta and Companion end?
The beta will end on 12th October. Exact times vary by platform and region.

• Where can I find the beta?
The Beta will be available via PlayStation Store.

• How big will the beta download be?
The download will be around 7GB.

• Is there a level cap?
The beta level cap with allow you to advance to level five. Once you hit the level cap you will no longer be able to progress to higher levels, though you will still be able to unlock items in the beta.

• Do my stats and progression carry over to the main game?
Stats and progression will not carry over to the final game or the final companion experience.

• How many players does each mode support?
Walker Assault supports up to 40 players, 20 per side, with Drop Zone supporting 16. The Survival Mission can be played by yourself or with a friend via online co-op or local split-screen.

• Will there be a mobile app for the Companion?
During the beta, the Companion will only be playable via browser at www.StarWarsBattlefront.com. Prior to the release of Star Wars Battlefront, the Companion will be available on web and in the Apple App Store and Google Play store. Note that stats and progression earned during the beta will not carry over to the final Companion experience.

• What browsers does the Companion support?
The latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer 11.

Source: Star Wars Battlefront beta begins 8th October on PS4

Solo-nite

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks for the beta update I am looking forward to the beta. I just hope the 20v20 doesn't feel like it's not enough for the map sizes

Solo-nite

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Star wars beta is on PSN now you got to search for it on store