PS4 Sony to impose UK-wide limit on PS4 pre-orders

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Launch day system not guaranteed after pre-order deadline; In-store units still coming on release day

PS4 pre-orders placed after Monday will not likely be fulfilled on release day, due to intense demand for the next-generation console, Sony has informed retail partners.

Retail sources have confirmed to CVG that PS4 pre-orders must be placed "before next week" in order to guarantee a system on launch date. That effectively gives consumers an August 5 deadline.

Pre-orders can still be placed thereafter, but may not result in a system on the day of release, as demand is expected to significantly outstrip supply. The deadline will be imposed across the UK, and likely Europe, but circumstances may be different across the US and Japan.

However, retail outlets have also been promised additional units for general sale on day one - meaning those who do not pre-order will still have a chance of buying the system on release day.

A spokesperson for Sony has declined to comment.

Analysts have already issued warnings about PS4 and Xbox One release day supplies.
"It is more likely than not that there will be initial shortages," said Robert W. Baird analyst Colin Sebastian.

Microsoft has confirmed an Xbox One release date of November 2013. It will go head-to-head with the PS4 release, which is set for a vague 'holiday 2013' launch.

In June, PlayStation America chief Jack Tretton warned that demand would outstrip supply.
""I certainly think, given the technology that we're offering, given the software line-up, given the price point we have, that we'll have consumers interested in excess of what we're able to manufacture."

Microsoft recently claimed that Xbox One pre-orders are "trending higher" than that of Xbox 360 during its respective pre-launch period.

Source: CVG

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's rather worrying, I was just thinking today that this launch is set up to be a disaster in terms of stock and actually getting your console and was thinking of finding a bricks and mortar retailer that I can go to locally and pick one up on launch day with a pre-order rather than rely on websites that may not even have stock assigned to them.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I read that retail will always have allocation, in order to support that chain. But like everything else its finite. I'm guessing that unless you deposit money with Game now, then it's highly probable you won't get one unless you're prepared to camp outside Oxford Street for a week beforehand. The stores will keep some back for release day, but I'm guessing not much at all.

I also read that the stock allocation for the One is pathetically low. Reading into that I would have to say that the playstation 4 was ready way in advance of the 180, and Microsoft are desperately trying to keep up with the pace. I reckon thats why Microsoft are using the carefully chosen phrase of trending, rather than outright stating that the One is selling more than the 360. By trending, they could mean that 95% of the preorders have been taken, as compared to say 80% of the stock of preorders for the 360, ergo the 180 is outperforming the 360 in this area. Could be wrong, but it is wierd that they keep using the word trending, and that retailers are reporting incredibly low stock allocation.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Are Game the only highstreet retailer that are taking pre-orders then?

I know ASDA are taking pre-orders, but looking at their website it looks like it might only be through their website.

I'm really nervous all of a sudden about my pre-order with Gameseek as I don't know if they're any good, they just had the best pre-order deal I've seen and as I know i've got the finances sorted for one I want to make sure I do actually get my machine on launch day.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would imagine that ASDA will take pre-orders in store. I have a friend who works at Sainsburys, and they are taking pre-orders in store.

Have you seen any reviews about Gameseek? I don't tend to buy games online, so I've no idea if the company are good or not.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not seen any reviews no, think i've used them once before and would remember if i'd have a bad transaction.

My pre-order has only cost me 54p though so no huge deal.

I'll have a check in ASDA if I can this week.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I want one of these, but getting mine with the John Lewis vouchers. Not sure they are doing pre-orders. That said if I have to wait a week or two I can live with it 8-).

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just as well I'm not pre ordering then innit! I'll pick one up a few years down the line I'm sure ........

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Well mines pre ordered if i get it joy if not ill wait :)

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Checked John Lewis aren't doing any pre-orders, so I shall wait. Gives me extra time if they're out anyway on the game to get more money :crazy::rofl:

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I went to our local Game store earlier to see what was happening with their pre-orders.

I was told that as I had pre-ordered my console it was secure. However, they do not know what their allocation is yet, and it is possible that they may sell more consoles via pre-order than they get allocated in their first shipment. I was advised to go to the midnight opening, or to go in to store on day 1 of the launch.

I'll be heading down to the midnight opening. :D

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My Fatty has bit the bullet and my sons 40gb that I am using is so noisy that I was thinking of saving for a new PS4.
All this hype about how good the PS4 will be and all the talk about how there are going to be shortages has got me looking into putting a pre order in.
Went to the grainger games site, and thay are taking pre orders for launch day. I then scrolled down a bit and saw the prices of the games.
£48.99 for most, with some at £54.99 and even one at £84.99.
**** that, I simply cant afford those prices. I'll be sticking to my PC for now, the games are half price compared to the next gen consoles and there wont be any budget games or discounted PS4 games for many months by the looks of things..

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think the game prices look set to stay for a while. Im getting 4 games and thats it. Hopefully it won't be too long before the price drops to what is more reasonable. After the launch, I cant see them selling volumes of games at these prices. I think theyre trying their luck as demand is high at the mo.

Ive actually got the money now for the games, camera and PS4. Sold my 360 and all its games as I'm done with Microsoft.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As it's only EA that are trying to force a £5 increase in price over current pricing i'm not too bothered.

They did this last time, trying to force a much bigger increase in price and they managed it while the 360 was the only system available, but as soon as Sony started selling PS3 games with an RRP that significantly undercut them they folded and dropped their RRP a bit, and the actual pricing in shops with in line with other games.

I'll be buying BF4 on/around launch and that's it. I already buy very few games now as it seems I rarely find a game that I enjoy for very long if I buy games outside of what I know. So i'll be sticking with the same mantra of only paying for games I know i'll like....however as i'll now get a multitude of free to play games as well as all the 'free' PS+ games i'm sure i'll have plenty to play.

Also we will now being able to download and try every new game from what I've seen, so buying new games won't be such a risk, at least you can try stuff before you buy it now.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well that's me with a local store ASDA pre-order now as well. Had to put £20 down, but weirdly you don't need to use that £20 against your pre-order, you can use it for shopping and pay the full whack on launch day.

24 hour ASDA too so will be able to do a midnight pickup.

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well done Col. Something tells me I should have done this and just pick it up after night shift. I'm quite happy with my Amazon order though as I had over £60 in my account which came off the cost.

roger947

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good thinking col, you could very well end up being the first person on my f/l with a ps4.

As for me, i'm more than happy with my pre-order at Amazon and having never been let down before, i'm pretty confident that my console will arrive at some point during the release day (that's probably put a jinx on it)

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I shall just wait now til it is in the shops, no rush really

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good thinking col, you could very well end up being the first person on my f/l with a ps4.

Well, if BF4 is available for launch then a few of us here will be playing BF4 after returning home from a midnight collection of our new toys. No doubt playing until the small hours.

So by the time yours arrives hopefully us midnighters will have had some sleep and be ready for the next stint! :lol:

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm not scared if I'm behind on the curve ball for this, so to speak. I'll own you all online anyway :crazy: