PS4 Sony to abandon DualShock design for PS4?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Reports from various media sources today suggest that after sixteen years, Sony will drop the DualShock controller when it releases the PlayStation 4.

dualshock31.jpg

Sources have told CVG that the new controller has gone through various iterations, many of which do not resemble the DualShock controller. Some versions have also included biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch-screen.

Sony has declined to comment.

It is expected that the PlayStation Vita will be compatible with the PlayStation 4. It may be possible that the PS3 DualShock controllers will be compatible with the PlayStation 4. They could be used as secondary controllers, similar to how Wii Remotes interact with the Wii U.
What do you think? Is this the end of the DualShock? If so, will you miss it? Will this affect your decision on which next-gen console you will buy? Let us know in the comments or on the forums.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If they do I’ll miss it. Definately the best one on any console to date.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cracking controller, and I hope Sony know what theyre doing. I read that they registered a patent for biometric sensors, so this does sound like it has a ring of truth about it. But with the LCD touchscreen it does seem to say that the Vita might be able to be used in some capacity

Dmk222

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
i hope they don’t change it to much it’s a tried and tested controller

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I too hope Sony won’t change it too much. The Dualshock is still the best controller out there.
Implementing a LCD screen could make the new controller too big to handle.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
There's an IGN closeup of the new controller, it doesn't look huge but is bigger then the current one.